Lets get this discussion started!

cam04

I'd like to add a little to this one with respect to lights...

I live in the Central West of NSW, and driving home from work this moring - still dark - there was snow falling, and a stiff wind swirling it around.

I have a small high-intensity LED lightbar fitted to the bullbar, and switching it on resulted in something that wouldn't have been out of place in Star Wars, when one of the spaceships went into hyperspace. LOTS of long straight white lines driving right at you, no matter which way the road took you.

Turning off the lightbar made it easier to see in the blizzard-like conditions, and switching off the high beam - low beam only - gave me the clearest vision, because I wasn't getting all of my own light bounced back at me off the falling snow.

We all get caught up in the debate about the best / brightest / longest range lights for the front (and back) of our 4WD's, but sometimes, less is better.

Oh, and slow down - you might be an old hand at driving in the snow, but there's always the chance you'll encounter that tourist in a rented car who has never driven in snow before coming the other way.
Northern US states where subarus rule, they are sold with proper yellow fog lights still.

Ol' Harley

Take your point! I've always found that driving through fog has a few differences to driving through snow though. Still, 'snow use complaining! (sorry...)

peterfermtech

Yellow is much easier on the eyes and gives a better contrast to oncoming drivers. Getting your fog lights down low and under the fog makes a heap of difference but not so easy to do on a 4WD

Tappet

Only drove in this country once in the snow and I will say it is difficult. Have driven in the Yukon and North Western Territories in Canada in winter on propper Snow tyres. Goodyear Blilzarks (Not studded) and it was a walk in the park. These tyres it's not recommended to use above 4 C. I will say the difference is like chalk and cheese, you can drive in good conditions on snow covered bitumen road at 100kph. It's almost like the snow is not even there or like driving on well graded dirt road. I found down to minus 20 they were great but did loose it a bit as the temp went lower.

Thing is in those neck of woods the snow that fell in early winter does not thaw out for the whole of winter. This makes a big difference. an overnight light sprinkle of snow gives even more grip. Trick is with snow driving don't do anything sudden. Braking, acceleration, steering input and you'll be fine.