Lets get this discussion started!

discomatt

Good tires is the biggest requirement, I do at least 1 snow drive each season, once and only once I left the all terrains on, never again because I could hardly even stop on a down hill section.
Really soft snow lower pressure, icy snow harder pressure.
Thats all I have except maybe the obvious, warm clothes plus a full change just in case

Bomber2012

If you are considering driving in snow it is wise to carry chains .
Conditions in snow can vary greatly , conditions can change within 500m from easy to uncontrollable depending how much sun / shade that section of track gets .
Our mate @Mr Rum lost his life driving in snow , for the cost of hiring or buying chains it is cheap insurance .
It’s not to be taken lightly.

Baggs71

So far for snow driving we have:
2x no for ATs
1x tyre pressures
1x snow chains
1x dont go alone if possible
1x prior experience recommended

Last edited:

peterfermtech

This topic done to death on many occasions. I will however add one thing. Two years ago before our lockdown I invested in some Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. They come with the 3 peak badge and short of dedicated snow tyres I would rank them far and above any other tyre I have used in the snow from fresh dry powder to slush and ice. Sipings is what gives you traction in the snow not blocks of rubber.

discomatt

This topic done to death on many occasions. I will however add one thing. Two years ago before our lockdown I invested in some Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. They come with the 3 peak badge and short of dedicated snow tyres I would rank them far and above any other tyre I have used in the snow from fresh dry powder to slush and ice. Sipings is what gives you traction in the snow not blocks of rubber.
Just had a look at them, excellent reviews except for those who put wear as a main priority, for me that is near the bottom and overall grip in all conditions is the top priority

hulsty

I've done a lot of snow driving up to some reasonably deep snow. Very similar to driving in Sand, we use aggressive mud tyres. Key is no wheel spin. Drive, constantly adjusting to stop wheel spin, when you stop, back up and go again.

phs

There are a few AT tyres running The 3 peak symbol
Including the ones we use duratrac wranglers they get very good reviews in the states for snow driving

SFA hilux

Snow driving is my favourite of all fwdriving.
I have only done it in fresh powder though.
I have only ever had MTs but I’ve been driving with other vehicles with ATs, if any one of us is struggling for traction it always comes down to there tyre pressure, lower the better on snow.
I think AT are actually better in fresh powder because you actually want snow to stick on your tyres, opposite to mud, because snow sticks to snow.