Les's August / Sept 2016 road trip

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Duck Creek Rd was fun today, went up it to access O'Reillys for a day walking tracks :)

In brief, nothing overly challenging, in the wet would no doubt make it more difficult.
Signs state impassable when wet.

Left Beaudesert and travelled along Kerry Rd, continued past Duck Ck turnoff to check out Darlington Pk for camping next week (it was packed !! Think will just go camp in Border Parks Sheepstation Ck instead).
Back to the turnoff, was soon into the private property and then the start of the 4wd section.

Left that gate at 0735, and reached the road up top at 0855, so 1hr 20mins.
I stopped a lot for pics, so and hour should be right if just driving it.

image.jpeg

17.7km from Kerry Rd/ Duck Ck Rd junction.

Some pics.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

23.6km total with + / - 970m elevation gain and loss.

Have now completed most of the walks in Lamington from both Green Mtns and Binna Burra sides of the park.
Will maybe explore other places in future trips.

Lamington is certainly one of the nicest places I've walked.
Well worth the effort, and it's suited to a lot of people, the tracks are well made, relatively easy the way they have been contoured.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Rangers all straight again, found good 2nd hand door shell in same colour, just gave it a good buzz and hi build primer to get a few ripples out, same with back door as it was being blended anyway, painted edge to edge at minor guard sections, and blended C pillar.

image.jpeg
Blocking hi build

image.jpeg
Ready to go in booth and final masking

image.jpeg
Base coat down

image.jpeg
Cleared

image.jpeg
Assembled

Also gave the headlights and light force covers a good rub and clearcoat, they were getting a bit pitted from all the driving :)

Came up really nicely . . .
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

All packed up again for a weekend camp, just an overnighter and bit of a tour into NSW, going back roads from Beaudesert through to Border Ranges Nat Pk, camping Sheepatation Ck then your out SE side of the park and come back maybe via the coast.

Hi Les
Nice report and trip mate. I noticed your using an iPhone to log your trip, what software is it. Also do they do a Android version.. Cheers

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Les
Nice report and trip mate. I noticed your using an iPhone to log your trip, what software is it. Also do they do a Android version.. Cheers
Cheers mate.
I'm using Mapout, neat little app based mapping system, great for logging trips and shows a heap of detail as you zoom in.
Shows walking tracks with names etc.
When I got it, Mapout was only made for iPhone and iPad, maybe check them out, might make it for Android now perhaps.
Other one that is great is MapsME, but no logging tracks though.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Now at Mt Chinghee Nat Pk, beautiful drive through scenic back roads to this great little free camp area.

image.jpeg

Just had a coffee and heading a bit more through the winding roads and over the border into NSW.
Camp is 25km or so, should be an hour with a couple of scenic stops shown on the map.

ian.c

Enjoy Sheepstation creek Les, its a nicely set up camp, we stopped in there for lunch a few years back, nice walk down to the creek, as I remember I walked back up to the camping area with a four year old on my shoulders, same as a 15 kilo pack I suppose, yeah it was hard work, I've lost 10 kilo since then and actually have started to enjoy walking tracks again.
We got there via Rathdowney and Lyons rd, also stopped at the lookout above the railway loop, nice country down that way, lots of old logging history.
Enjoy your weekend mate.
Ian.c :cool:

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
I'm using Mapout, neat little app based mapping system
I currently use maps.me quite a bit when I don't have service, but always wished it had topographical data.
Does Mapout allow you to save maps with topo for offline use?
If so, I know what app I'll be downloading next.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
You can download sections of maps to use Aust wide, in fact worldwide.
They are OSM.

I like it a lot for various things like detail not on other HEMA maps, and as mentioned for tracking trips.
You get gpx files.

You can't plot routes with it, but then I rarely do this, just using all mapping I have like a paper map.

I think Mapout is free too.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Wow, stunning drive through The Lions Rd from the border.
Found a little track detour off the bitumen that has numerous floodway crossings of Running Ck which was nice.

Sheepatation Ck camping is simply superb, and the namesake creek below in some lovely rainforest.

Brushbox Falls are pretty impressive too, just a short 2.5km return walk from camp.

Some pics.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg

ian.c

Awesome pics, Lyons rd is a good example of what a community can do if they band together instead of waiting for the government, I'm sure this road was built as a shortcut for the community by volunteers.
If you see an old lady selling cookies in the main street of Nimbin don't eat them Les or it will be another night camping in NSW. definitely wouldn't drive.o_O:D:confused:o_O

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Awesome pics, Lyons rd is a good example of what a community can do if they band together instead of waiting for the government, I'm sure this road was built as a shortcut for the community by volunteers.
If you see an old lady selling cookies in the main street of Nimbin don't eat them Les or it will be another night camping in NSW. definitely wouldn't drive.o_O:D:confused:o_O
I think you're right about The Lions Rd Ian, saw a sign at the top of it, and some sort of donation box, something about the Lions group, so they must have had quite a bit to do with fundraising for it.

Nimbin, you must have a crystal ball mate, was walking back past a fairly aged hippy lady in the street, she was sitting reading a book, had a pic of (we assumed) her husband in one hand, she said hello and when we glances at her, she used the photo as a flash card on the back was COOKIES lol !!!! :D :D

I can't go into what happened after this, but an amazing coincidence re your comment.

Tink

I think you're right about The Lions Rd Ian, saw a sign at the top of it, and some sort of donation box, son the about the Lions group, so they must have had quite a bit to do with fundraising for it..
Both Duck Creek and Lions Road are community funded. I would hope every driver using either road makes a suitable donation. It is the right thing to do.
Tink

I think you're right about The Lions Rd Ian, saw a sign at the top of it, and some sort of donation box, something about the Lions group, so they must have had quite a bit to do with fundraising for it.

Nimbin, you must have a crystal ball mate, was walking back past a fairly aged hippy lady in the street, she was sitting reading a book, had a pic of (we assumed) her husband in one hand, she said hello and when we glances at her, she used the photo as a flash card on the back was COOKIES lol !!!! :D :D

I can't go into what happened after this, but an amazing coincidence re your comment.
Haha, so was it another night in northern nsw mate ??

barnsey062

looks like you are having a great trip Les, 1st time i camped at inskip waiting for the ferry i got eaten alive by sand fly's, spent my week on Fraser scratching bites, 2nd time i took the aeroguard & they left me alone, did you notice any sand flys this time of year. keep having a safe one mate, trip looks awesome.
cheers barnsey