Len Beadell's tracks and caravan

boobook

That's a very broad question. The answer depends on the van, and which tracks. They range from easy to severe ruts that shake every bone in your body at 20kmph for hours on end.

Generally though, the answer will be no, except Western parts of the ABH, and parts of the GBH.

paulyg

Probably should have added some extra info. Van is a Vancruiser Outlaw 15ft 5 inches by 7ft 2inches wide, full height, about 2500kg fully loaded. Tow vehicle is Nissan Patrol 4.8 auto.

boobook

I don't know the van, but you'd have to be prepared to have it scratched badly on many tracks.

I think you need to be more specific on the tracks.

paulyg

I am not being specific, because I am trying to find out if any of the tracks, or parts of the tracks are suitable for a van.

boobook

Probably should have added some extra info. Van is a Vancruiser Outlaw 15ft 5 inches by 7ft 2inches wide, full height, about 2500kg fully loaded. Tow vehicle is Nissan Patrol 4.8 auto.

I just looked the van up. I wouldn't take that on any of Len's tracks that I've been on. It looks way too, big and heavy. I would not take it east of Neale Junction on the ABH given the dunes and narrow parts, especially if you are alone.

I haven't travelled anywhere north of the Gunbarrel Hwy, but south of there, you will struggle to make it on most of his roads due to narrow tracks and dunes in large parts of the tracks. The ruts are so bad in parts, that you have to go off the track into the sides, and they are just as bad or sandy. You can have no idea how bad the ruts can be for hours on end.

While much of the tracks are wide and you can do up to 70kmph, you get 200km down the road and they turn nasty. I towed my Tvan which was ok, but that's about as big as I would dare take.

My best advice is to ask the question on Exploroz and put your flack jacket on. Or make other plans. Sorry, you may not like it, but planning to travel on Len's tracks in optimal conditions is a task. Taking an oversized van without planning in thorough detail will end in expensive tears. Buy a tent or solid off road camper trailer for those kind of tracks.

Based on the Beadell tracks I have been on the parts where I would take a van as you describe are in green. The no-go areas are in Red - either because you can't or would not go there with a van. I don't know the North West tracks, but if the others are to go by they are largely unmaintained and rutted as hell.

1656804679323.png

Last edited:

discomatt

Personally I wouldn't take my van through really tough tracks even though it is up to the task and is built to do that sort of touring , for me it is not a matter of can it but more are you willing to put your 4wd and van through those rigors.
Watch a couple of episodes of All for Adventure and you can easily see where a off road van can be taken, these days its pretty much anywhere, but look at what they put the tow car and van through, the punishment their equipment copes, then ask yourself if your willing to do that to your gear

paulyg

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Never been to that part of the country before, so I think I will leave the van at home for that trip.

boobook

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Never been to that part of the country before, so I think I will leave the van at home for that trip.

Go ask on EO, though I think the answers are similar to mine. Or leave the van at Coober Pedy. ABH, CSH, GBH then CGR through Ayes Rock and back to Coober Pedy That would be a 1 month trip CP to CP minimum. Fuel at Ilkurkla then Warburton then readily available on the CGR to Eyres Rock. It's a long time between drinks ( fuel and alcohol) on Len's roads.

cam04

Go ask on EO, though I think the answers are similar to mine. Or leave the van at Coober Pedy. ABH, CSH, GBH then CGR through Ayes Rock and back to Coober Pedy That would be a 1 month trip CP to CP minimum. Fuel at Ilkurkla then Warburton then readily available on the CGR to Eyres Rock. It's a long time between drinks ( fuel and alcohol) on Len's roads.
It’s a pity Willem K has passed, and isn’t on EO. I can imagine the reply.

mikehzz

Have you done any of the easier iconic outback tracks with the van yet? The Birdsville, Oodnadatta or Strzelecki tracks? Even those tracks can be super easy or a nightmare when done under different conditions, with or without a van. I don't pull a van but really you only have to sit in a place like Oodnadatta for any length of time to see the carnage that even an outback super highway like the Oodnadatta Track can do to vans, trailers and cars. People like the Gall Boys and All For Adventure prove that vans can do it, but anywhere outback is a torture test and you have to factor in what happens in the real possibility of the van breaking hundreds of kms from help. It's bad enough if it just happens to your car without having to factor in the van as well.
I have a healthy respect for outback road and track conditions and what they can do to machinery in general. It can get bloody expensive and is something to keep in mind. I say this not to discourage you, just to warn you in case you've never been out there.

paulyg

I have been on all those tracks you mention and more, but not with a van. you are absolutely correct about those tracks, I have been across them when they are very good, almost a dirt highway and when they have been ripped up by people driving them when wet. If you drive to the conditions and have some mechanical sympathy, you can reduce any damage. Some places you should just not take a van, and it seems the Beadell tracks are not suitable for vans.

boobook

Watch a couple of episodes of All for Adventure and you can easily see where a off road van can be taken, these days its pretty much anywhere, but look at what they put the tow car and van through, the punishment their equipment copes, then ask yourself if your willing to do that to your gear
People like the Gall Boys and All For Adventure prove that vans can do it, but anywhere outback is a torture test and you have to factor in what happens in the real possibility of the van breaking hundreds of kms from help.

Interesting. All 4 Adventure has gone through an MDC XT 12, an Aus RV Finke, A Jayco Cross-track, and an MDC Forbes off road caravan.

All that shows to me is that the sponsors cough up until they get sick of it, and then a new sponsor lines up. Not one has lasted.

I bet there is a clause that says stuffed-Off Road Vans cant appear on the show and the sponsor pays to get the vans home.

Last edited:

discomatt

There is no way on earth their vans last, nor do their cars, they replace them every season as well, it also shows that cheap off road vans can do it but will die a quick death, whether a top of the range off road van would fair any better who knows

boobook

There is no way on earth their vans last, nor do their cars, they replace them every season as well, it also shows that cheap off road vans can do it but will die a quick death, whether a top of the range off road van would fair any better who knows
They do get about 3 - 4 seasons out of the vehicles, Jason sold his 2013 200 in Nov 2017, then the replacement in March 2020. So the current one probably has a year or two left in it. I assume the Dmax is similar.

Still, I wouldn't be queuing up to buy them.

cam04

They do get about 3 - 4 seasons out of the vehicles, Jason sold his 2013 200 in Nov 2017, then the replacement in March 2020. So the current one probably has a year or two left in it. I assume the Dmax is similar.

Still, I wouldn't be queuing up to buy them.
The original dmax is now one of their camera vehicles, you’ll get a side shot of it every now and then. The vans are just pure product placement. Because they change them out has zero to do with how a trailer survived or not. I know the original forward fold MDC trailer they used with the boat on top went to auction after the series ended in working (very 2nd hand) order.
I’d be keen to know how the aluminium driveshaft in the new dmax is holding up. I’ve heard people knocking it ‘just because it isn’t steel’ but I’d rather see one fail to give me any opinion.

There is no way on earth their vans last,
These laughing boys take a VERY heavy toll on the land they travel over in order to create content for their shows ! They skull drag so much superfluous equipment into some very remote locations..., with their various convoy's of trailers and caravans, all loaded with so many big goose 'toys'.
And..., they're ever ready to break out the chainsaws & shovels etc etc...., in order to reconfigure natural landforms to suit their various agenda !
I wouldn't be surprised if they drag in a trailer with mini digger on it. Over many seasons of this show they continually and increasingly tear up the land..., creating larger washouts when the next 'wet season' comes around..., all for the sake of various kinds of profit. You'll never hear these bozo's speaking hand on heart, about the importance of looking after or respecting natural landforms !
'nuff said..., for now.

boobook

None of what they do and where they take their equipment has anything to do with representing what normal buyers can do, despite what the sponsors want you to think.

It's just TV entertainment.