Legal upgrades.

Boerki

Hi guys

Can anyone please direct me to a thread or know of a tread which addresses the issue of upgrades to the 2013 onwards 3.2L Ranger? I'm especially looking at max tyre sizes for this specific ranger.

nightscale

Wouldn't that be governed by your state laws (most states I think it's 2 inches ) were sa is the odd ball with only 16mm oversize is allowed

Boerki

I'm actually after the max allowable factory sizes for this specific ute. The plan is to compare it to the legal limits and work from there.

Diesel1

I'm actually after the max allowable factory sizes for this specific ute. The plan is to compare it to the legal limits and work from there.
Most vehicles have the factory tyres sizes on a data tag on door frame or in the operator manual.

It will state the tyre size for that model, load ratings and recommended tyre pressures.

Technically anything outside the factory sizes is a modification to the vehicle but will only need a modification plate if the size exceeds your state laws regulations which you will find on the transport department website.

As new cars have VSC, TC and ABS changing the tyre diameter can affect it as its been calibrated for a pacific tyre size so a manufacture will only give you one size for your model. Fortunately the state laws allow us to change tyre sizes to a degree.

Hope this helps

discomatt

In Vic it is 2 inch diameter increase max without a engineers report, swerve and brake test only required as far as I'm aware

Boerki

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. I'm certainly going to take my time and carefully consider all the advice I get.

mac_man_luke

Hi guys

Can anyone please direct me to a thread or know of a tread which addresses the issue of upgrades to the 2013 onwards 3.2L Ranger? I'm especially looking at max tyre sizes for this specific ranger.
Tyres size you have pretty open choice to what will fit, 35s can fit with a little bit of work.

33s fit easy even at stock height.

Legalties wise i think 33s are ok in Vic but not in most other states.

32s / 265/70R17 is about as big as you can go legally without engineering.

muc the truck

Its printed on your very own tyre placard on your car . Then from that size you can work out from state law your maximum .

phs

33s are not legal on a 2013 ranger your Std tyre size = 30.6 inches
You can go up to a metric tyre that = 32.6" or an imperial 32" tyre

Thawed

The stupid thing about the 2" max increase is the fact that tyres have 12mm or so of tread and so the difference between a new tyre to a worn tyre is a bit less than 1". So if you have partially worn 33" tyres on your truck you would get a defect/ticket as being over size....but your tyres may very well be inside the 2" max increase.

phs

The stupid thing about the 2" max increase is the fact that tyres have 12mm or so of tread and so the difference between a new tyre to a worn tyre is a bit less than 1". So if you have partially worn 33" tyres on your truck you would get a defect/ticket as being over size....but your tyres may very well be inside the 2" max increase.
There is no nominal headlight hight for a vehicle. So it basically is tyre size ( stamped on sidewall ). + lift.

So lift ? I guess the only way to check is codes off your springs, well that should be what they check as how els would you know ?

They could just accuse you and then you will have to argue in court

There are simple give sways like custom control arms ect. so with Std control arms I'd like to see them pick 2-3" by eye ;)

Last edited:

phs

I reckon you could find a small 285 that would be legal, federals were quite small last time i looked.
Sorry I missed this.

As far as the law is concerned, 285/75r16 is 32.8" OD. It's an approved DOT tyre so you go by the math 285x0.75x2 + 16" = 32.8" I guess you could go to court and argue the fact " my 285s are smaller than ........ According to the manufacter spec. "

Last edited:

Thawed

All in all, it is an insurance claim rejection that is more serious than a simple defect or ticket given the possible financial ramifications should they win. Either way, they will have their pound of flesh.
Steve

mikehzz

I often wonder how we would fare if we declared the larger tyres in the list of extras for insurance. You are supposed to declare all non standard options. You would think the insurance company would have to pay as they took your money with full disclosure from you. Having said that, I've been around a long time, seen a hell of a lot of 4wd's with big tyres and never heard of a claim being rejected because of them. All this when it wasn't that long ago that the biggest allowable increase in diameter in NSW was only 15mm. It's only changed to a 7% increase in NSW in the last few years. The 50mm increase was only for some other states and then only on 4wd's.

phs

I have asked, they will put anything on your policy and its up to you to make sure it's legal. so basically add them to your insurance and probably more likely to raise eyebrows when you want your :) $$$

cam04

Hi guys

In qld you get 50mm to spend on EITHER suspension OR tyre lift. You cannot have a little bit of either. One of them must be standard for the other to get modified.
This is standard fare for any vehicle fitted with stability control. My ranger has a HD King spring setup (not a 2" lift, just HD which yields approx. 20mm lift before you put on a bulbar and winch - which mine has) and I am struggling to find anyone who will replace the 265/75/16's which are on it.