Legacy trailer plug history

linuxfan66

Something I’ve not got a clear year on. When did 5 and 6 pin trailer plugs disappear from the Australian market whether it be car or trailer?I have trouble even finding adapters for 5 pin when I looked out of curiosity

Mick_Marsh

yeah, still not as common as they once were by a mile
You're not looking in the right places.

(Plastic ones also available.)

It's interesting, though. There are all sorts of different types of trailer electrical connectors available now.
It used to be you could only buy 5/7 pin round or flat.
There used to be a standard. Now there are many standards. I guess it is so they can create and develop the "trailer plug adaptor" market.

Hoyks

More so that tow capacities got bigger and trailers and vans got bigger. All of a sudden override brakes just aren't cutting it and you need electrics to the trailer with more amps than a basic 5 or 6 pin could supply.
Yes you could add in a Anderson plug, but a 12 pin is lower profile and just 1 plug to remember to connect, looks newer and more streamlined on your 4x4 brick outhouse and you're less likely to rip it off the bumper. Its also backwards compatable with a 7 pin so you can still hook up the box trailer for the annual trip to the tip.

dabbler

Most auto parts stores stock them and/or can order them as required so I wouldn't call them uncommon at all.

As Mick and Hoyks have said, there are more options available so the older plugs and sockets just aren't dominant. Of course, the online sales world we're now in, means items aren't as obvious on the shelves too.

Triton14

any dates for when various plugs got retired though?
Who cares??

If you have the correct coupling for your vehicle & what your towing then all well & good.

If you need trailer braking etc then you need to have the right set up, end of story.

Why are the dates important?

linuxfan66

Who cares??

If you have the correct coupling for your vehicle & what your towing then all well & good.

If you need trailer braking etc then you need to have the right set up, end of story.

Why are the dates important?
historical understanding. i actually made this thread to understand the timeline

Mick_Marsh

Attachments

• 3 pin power socket.jpeg
    3 pin power socket.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 17

linuxfan66

I have never heard of six pin trailer plugs.
As far as I am aware, tow kits are dealer fitted.
They will fit the socket you request.

Trailer suppliers will fit a five pin plug as standard on a 6x4 trailer unless you request otherwise.
I’ve never seen a 5 pin on a new trailer

Hoyks

I had a 6 pin round on my 98 Terrano. Was a pain in the arse and always filled with mud.