LED tail lights what do I need

GusB123

I am looking to buy some led tail light set up and I heard that I need resistors on every live wire. Is this true. Also the tail lights I’m looking at only have one live wire coming out of them. How do I wire up the tail lights and brake lights with one live wire.

CaptainBanana

Nowhere near enough information mate first of all you need to tell us what car it is to work out if it's can-bus equipped and then you need to tell us if you're going buy rubbish eBay Chinese LEDs or something from a brand with can bus compatibility for example and the list goes on

GusB123

it’s a 1986 Suzuki Sierra so it isn’t can bus equiped and the lights I’m looking at are some $90 tail lights from ultimate LED

lars cordes

if u swap out old style incandescents with LED's with newer cars u may get a fault light up saying your tail light are faulty & your indicator blink rate will prob increase significantly due to the much lower current draw of LED's, u can use resistors in parallel to up the current draw. on my old (02) landcruiser i put some LED taillights on (but kept the originals also) because my new rear wheel carrier blocked the old tail light a bit, they work fine together. unless youre running some sorta new fangled bus type system no way your brake & tail lights can operate seperately with only one connection

CaptainBanana

On a car like yours you'll probably have no issue with the brake lights or the tail lights but you will probably find the indicators will flash too fast.

CaptainBanana

I couldn't tell you mate I have got LED replacements for everything but my indicators, I refuse to the cut up a wiring looms for stuff like LED lights so if I can't fit them and run them I just don't, heaps of info on Google that would not be hard to work out what resistance.

GusB123

I couldn't tell you mate I have got LED replacements for everything but my indicators, I refuse to the cut up a wiring looms for stuff like LED lights so if I can't fit them and run them I just don't, heaps of info on Google that would not be hard to work out what resistance.
Ok thanks mate

discomatt

I would be very surprised if you need any resistors, that is only a thing for late model cars that change electronics like ABS DSC and reversing sensors once it sensors a van or trailer is attached

Rusty Panels

My old 2002 Hilux had all LED rear lights. Everything worked perfectly and there were no resistors in the circuit. It depends on the actual flasher relay that is fitted.
The resistors are only necessary if your indicators are blinking too fast. This is due to the lower resistance of the LED's. Have you noticed in some cars how if they blow an indicator globe somewhere in the car that the blinkers on that side flash a lot faster? That is because the resistance in the circuit has suddenly lowered. Replace the blown globe and they start flashing at the normal rate again. So, to overcome the lower resistance confusing the flasher can and making the indicators blink too fast on some vehicles you put resistors in.

Petunia

On an older car don't bother putting resistors, just change out the flasher can to an electronic controlled one. Won't have an issue with flash rate then and its easier than splicing in resistors.

Exactly ! The man nailed it in one!
I am looking to buy some led tail light set up and I heard that I need resistors on every live wire. Is this true. Also the tail lights I’m looking at only have one live wire coming out of them. How do I wire up the tail lights and brake lights with one live wire.

A led or led lights are for show, or for less draw, led + resistor = more draw than the led alone..... so just leave the incandescent in?

Led wire colours are weird, I think White is normally negative Green right indicator Yellow left indicator Red is stop lights Brown is tail lights Black is reverse lights, so forget red= + and black = neg ....... all colours except white are positive.

And make sure you have a red reflector in each or a separate reflector to comply with the ADR's.:cool:

Batts88

Led's brake lights can muck your cruise control up as well if you have one you can fix that by wiring in a relay.