• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Learning to fly

Paddler Ed

So I'm learning a few things with a week of ownership down.
#1, 2 batteries for the spark isn't enough:

Fantastic footage through the trees as others have said... BUT... Sorry to be the party pooper, but there are a couple of things that CASA might not like:
1) Flying closer than 30 m to people — other than those helping to fly or navigate your drone
2) I think that the location you were flying at is in restricted space (ie you needed to check some boxes) - did you use the CASA recommended website to check you could fly there? (I think this is where you were flying? https://opensky.wing.com/visitor/map?lat=-31.785999&lng=115.802854&zoom=16)

sharkcaver

Fantastic footage through the trees as others have said... BUT... Sorry to be the party pooper, but there are a couple of things that CASA might not like:
1) Flying closer than 30 m to people — other than those helping to fly or navigate your drone
2) I think that the location you were flying at is in restricted space (ie you needed to check some boxes) - did you use the CASA recommended website to check you could fly there? (I think this is where you were flying? https://opensky.wing.com/visitor/map?lat=-31.785999&lng=115.802854&zoom=16)
All CC taken. Yeah, well the 30m rule maybe doesn't apply to my family. They were not about to lay a complaint. It was a PITA though trying to avoid others. just as I get ready to fly, another dog walker comes along....and then I have to wait till the clear out. 30M isnt much.

No, not restricted (well yes, but more on that) That location is correct. Click on the red X in your link:

The only objection is:
Do not fly at night. Daylight begins at 5:34 AM.

I met that objection as you can see.
The heliport business is a caution. Do not fly if helicopters are about. (they use the lake to refill firefighting choppers). No fires and no choppers operating. All other requirements are good.

I have open sky on the phone.

Technically, I cant fly there due to local govt regulation. The shire of Joondalup has put a blanket ban on drones in all public space and reserves. That said, I am of the belief only CASA has the authority to ban anyone from flying, local Govt do not have that authority. Not that I want to push the envelope with the shire, cause it will just end up a dirty dust up. So A bit of common sense on my part wouldn't go astray, otherwise I wont be able to fly local anywhere.

Paddler Ed

Yeah, well the 30m rule maybe doesn't apply to my family. They were not about to lay a complaint.
No, the wording you use is "they were there spotting the errant dog walker for me" or "looking for the bird of prey that takes out the drone for me" :p

The shire of Joondalup has put a blanket ban on drones in all public space and reserves. That said, I am of the belief only CASA has the authority to ban anyone from flying, local Govt do not have that authority.
I know in NSW they've banned drones across National Parks, so the local bylaws my still apply - and CASA also have the wording about local regulations, although mainly about National Parks etc.

sharkcaver

No, the wording you use is "they were there spotting the errant dog walker for me" or "looking for the bird of prey that takes out the drone for me" :p
Lol...or they are my chopper spotters :p

Yes, I see that about NSW NP. What a shame. I can understand restrictions imposed there with people about, but a total blanket ban, what a shame.
I could just imaging flying a drone over Belmore Falls in Fitzroy NP - bugger all people there. A little gem fav of mine (damn, its been a while too, maybe 20 years) - I have a poster print of that on my wall here at home.

Lucky I've got just a little sandpit to play in over here - all 2.6 M Km2 of it. Looking forward to my first trip away.

Drewswb

Dont know, but as soon as they do someone will cock it up, Ive seen alot of people using follow me mode to get some awsom footage while doing water crossings etc

dno67

Nice, adds another perspective to the city skyline.
What software you editing with mate. ?

RainmanWA

Came home a bit deflated after seeing their flight times.....oh well
The Spark has its limitations, but I keep telling myself, the $600 price tag (or whatever it was I paid) will be an easier pill to swallow if it ever gets lost or destroyed compared to the grand or more for some of the higher spec models. Plus I also have a better chance of surviving the minister for finances wrath.

dno67

The Spark has its limitations, but I keep telling myself, the $600 price tag (or whatever it was I paid) will be an easier pill to swallow if it ever gets lost or destroyed compared to the grand or more for some of the higher spec models. Plus I also have a better chance of surviving the minister for finances wrath.
Just be careful thinking like that, might be hard to argue anything more than a greatwall or LDV next vehicle purchase.. lol