LDV Chinese UTE now with Ancap 5 Star Rating

Cyberess

Just having a sticky on the http://www.ancap.com.au site
Starting to look like the Chinese are starting to get serious, actually I don't know much about the LDV utes except that they are fairly new on the Oz market, but the big surprise is that they have a 5 Star Ancap rating. http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/ldv/t60/d8ae5d, I think all the other Chinese utes only have ratings of 2 and 3 stars, so it's a massive jump forward

As us 4WD drivers are a comparing lot just thought that I would compare some of the different ancap scores from the Ancap site.
LDV T60 scored 35.46 out of 37 http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/ldv/t60/d8ae5d
Ford Ranger scored 36.72 out of 37 http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/ford/ranger/40e4c5
Nissan Navara 35.01 out of 37 http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/nissan/navara/c26429
It actually beats the Navara :p

I did notice one massive fail on the Ancap site and that was the Ford Mustang it only has a Ancap rating of 2 Stars :eek: http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/ford/mustang/c7fccc I love the look of the Mustang -- I guess looks ain't everything.

Hoyks

When you drill down on the numbers that get the Mustang the low ANCAP score you can see why it scored low.
Child occupant Protection 37%
safety assist 16%
So, there is bugger all room in the back seat, but the vehicle is not exactly optimised for carrying kids.
Safety assist gets you points for stuff like seatbelt chimes, speed limiters, and sensors that tell you it is raining (seriously??). If you are buying a muscle car, then you are probably going to want to plant the loud pedal and light up the back end occasionally, Safety assist might not be a high priority either.

Cyberess

When you drill down on the numbers that get the Mustang the low ANCAP score you can see why it scored low.
Child occupant Protection 37%
safety assist 16%
So, there is bugger all room in the back seat, but the vehicle is not exactly optimised for carrying kids.
Safety assist gets you points for stuff like seatbelt chimes, speed limiters, and sensors that tell you it is raining (seriously??). If you are buying a muscle car, then you are probably going to want to plant the loud pedal and light up the back end occasionally, Safety assist might not be a high priority either.
It's really not good enough -- Ford has sort of been caught with their pants down with their latest Mustang, as other manufactures have been able to build 4 seater coupes with an Ancap rating of 5
eg. Subaru BRZ
Suparu-STI-Coupe001.jpg

-- The fact is a vehicle with a lot of HPs, it's more likely that there would be a need for a higher Ancap rating.

About 5 years ago people were bagging 4WD utes that had ratings below Ancap rating of 4, there are even insurance companies reckon they will not insure any vehicle that's below Ancap rating of 4 https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/insurance-firm-refuses-cars-with-ancap-rating-below-four-stars

Now consider a lot of manufactures have been working on their Ancap ratings,
e.g. Jeep Wranger has a rating of 4 stars
Quite a lot of manufactures hide or avoid Ancap
Eg. Land Rover Defender, would probably end up with a score of 1 star or below

There you have it. it's O.K. to bag Chinese vehicle when they have a low or average Ancap score, but not "Landrover Defender" or "Ford Mustang" because they have a prestige brand label -- nope Ancap is here for a reason.

BlueCollie

I read all the mustang stuff when it happened and if I remember correctly there was a major defect with the drivers airbag on the tested vehicle. I think it also misses out on a lot of active safety gear which ancap recently added to their 5 star requirement lists so any 4wd ute that was tested before the new regs would not now qualify for 5 stars either.

D

Deleted member 69390

But the Defender was a commercial vehicle is no longer made so is not relevant, the 79 series had a similar rating to the Defender and only recently been upgraded to 5 star. - the Mustang still is and as a non commercial vehicle should be 5 star.

megamung

I read all the mustang stuff when it happened and if I remember correctly there was a major defect with the drivers airbag on the tested vehicle. I think it also misses out on a lot of active safety gear which ancap recently added to their 5 star requirement lists so any 4wd ute that was tested before the new regs would not now qualify for 5 stars either.
You're right. ANCAP changed the testing criteria in late 2016 which means it's pointless comparing the safety ratings of vehicles tested prior to the changes to ones after.

Back to the original post. A mate has been running a couple of LDV vans for over a year. His work vehicles do some big K's and have a hard life. he is pretty happy so far with no problems.

Spooner

Watch them get better and better as the years progress . I remember when Japanese cars were called Jap Crap .
Also when Hyundai's 1st came to Australia in the late 80's with dodgy poverty pack model lineups.
Look at them now , same thing with KIA .
I recon they look excellent value for money if you are on a budget , and will only get better over time.
Also they have a VM Motori engine. They make heaps of diesel engines of all types for many years.
They used to be tied in with Detroit Diesel , maybe still are? . I think from memory they are half owned by Fiat & GMH.

BlueCollie

Watch them get better and better as the years progress . I remember when Japanese cars were called Jap Crap .
Also when Hyundai's 1st came to Australia in the late 80's with dodgy poverty pack model lineups.
Look at them now , same thing with KIA .
I recon they look excellent value for money if you are on a budget , and will only get better over time.
Also they have a VM Motori engine. They make heaps of diesel engines of all types for many years.
They used to be tied in with Detroit Diesel , maybe still are? . I think from memory they are half owned by Fiat & GMH.
I'm pretty sure it's the same engine that's in the Colorados just with a much lower tune.

Cyberess

You're right. ANCAP changed the testing criteria in late 2016 which means it's pointless comparing the safety ratings of vehicles tested prior to the changes to ones after.
Looking at changes in the testing criteria appear not to be that significant, but of course that could be open to option, and I guess it could make a change say 5 to drop to a 4 stars -- looking at the website the changes are listed at http://www.ancap.com.au/technical-protocols-and-policies. So should the Ancap website be pulled up for this, as it's be designed to compare vehicles.

With all the info at hand the LDV T60 it appears to have scored extremely well and it's does appear to be something completely different to say the Great wall Steed vehicle that was released this year, as that only scored 2 Stars http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/great-wall-motors/steed/f1caf2, actually checking the Great Wall utes over the years they have never scored a Ancap rating over 2 Stars so looking at this at face value it appears that the LDV T60 is something totally different coming out of China.

Getting back to the Mustang -- the ain't just the airbags that have gone wrong, it got design floors with it's safety, as for instance there is a VW Amarok that is sold in NZ without airbags and it has managed to score 4 stars, and really Ford does needs to do better. It's amazing how people are defend the 2 star Mustang, may be when something looks beautiful, particularly in yellow, it can't be unsafe, well maybe it's a great looking death trap, and it would still look good in my driveway ;).

The question is would you use information on the Ancap Website as your part of your decision when choosing a new vehicle, when it scores a vehicle prestigious muscle car low, and scores a unprestigious Chinese UTE high?

BlueCollie

Looking at changes in the testing criteria appear not to be that significant, but of course that could be open to option, and I guess it could make a change say 5 to drop to a 4 stars -- looking at the website the changes are listed at http://www.ancap.com.au/technical-protocols-and-policies. So should the Ancap website be pulled up for this, as it's be designed to compare vehicles.

With all the info at hand the LDV T60 it appears to have scored extremely well and it's does appear to be something completely different to say the Great wall Steed vehicle that was released this year, as that only scored 2 Stars http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/great-wall-motors/steed/f1caf2, actually checking the Great Wall utes over the years they have never scored a Ancap rating over 2 Stars so looking at this at face value it appears that the LDV T60 is something totally different coming out of China.

Getting back to the Mustang -- the ain't just the airbags that have gone wrong, it got design floors with it's safety, as for instance there is a VW Amarok that is sold in NZ without airbags and it has managed to score 4 stars, and really Ford does needs to do better. It's amazing how people are defend the 2 star Mustang, may be when something looks beautiful, particularly in yellow, it can't be unsafe, well maybe it's a great looking death trap, and it would still look good in my driveway ;).

The question is would you use information on the Ancap Website as your part of your decision when choosing a new vehicle, when it scores a vehicle prestigious muscle car low, and scores a unprestigious Chinese UTE high?
Yet the Mustang recieved a 5 star rating in the US so it can't be as flawed as you suggest. It's also an enthisiasts car so I don't think a safety rating is all that important, I see classic Mustangs on the road that would have a zero star safety rating. People buy Ferraris and Lambos that aren't Ancap tested and no one seems to care.

As for the LDV it's a great result but I would still be hesitant to buy one until they'd been around for a while. I wish Ancap would do side impact testing on 4wds as it is an important safety consideration but unfortunately they don't.

dabbler

ANCAP should be used to compare like with like and not much more.

Comparing different vehicles with different purposes and different accident risks is not going to give you a real understanding of what happens when it happens.

LDV has actually been around a while. It's the offerings that has changed and obviously they are smart enough to address modern concerns. Without a comprehensive and experienced dealer network, I doubt the ute will appeal to many here.

nitrobrent

Hardcore off road 4x4s , really?
So a Winch challenge truck thats built for high speed running , with a full roll cage and exo cage , has hugely compromised safety ?
As in not unlike classic cars (completely unsafe), supercars (who knows how safe they are) or hardcore off road 4x4s (hugely compromised safety). Safety is not as important as it's not a work vehicle or a family car ie it's bought by enthusiasts.

R83D

The new mustang has a poor ancap rating and it isn't really an enthusiast's car, normal people are buying them.

It's like saying that it's acceptable for the WRX sti or Toyota 86 to have poor ancap ratings because they are 'enthusiasts' cars.

They are all normal cars driven by normal people (it isn't some Ferrari Enzo), Ford just did a bloody horrible job building the new mustang.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I drove my car for years with an Ancap rating of Zero. I also had lots of blokes begging me to sell it to them at any price.
Firebird_017.jpg

Actually, all cars I drove had a zero Ancap rating.
Actually my 1991 Troopy probably is rated at around zero as well.
Is it possible to fit airbags, crumple zone, ESC, Lane change warning, EBA, TC, ??? did I miss something.
Not to worry I have come up with my personal Ancap.
CEkqmVCWgAEshz-.jpg

BlueCollie

The new mustang has a poor ancap rating and it isn't really an enthusiast's car, normal people are buying them.

It's like saying that it's acceptable for the WRX sti or Toyota 86 to have poor ancap ratings because they are 'enthusiasts' cars.

They are all normal cars driven by normal people (it isn't some Ferrari Enzo), Ford just did a bloody horrible job building the new mustang.
Mustang scored 6.91 out of 8 in a frontal offset crash. Do you know what the 2016 70 series landcruiser acheived? 6.88.... out of 16.

Mustang scored 8 out of 8 for side impact. 2016 70 series 16 out of 16 (score given to all 4x4s without testing). Mustang = 2 star, 2016 70 series =3 star.

The Mustang sounds like a pretty safe ride to me.

One last point - what's the ANCAP rating on any motorbike on the road?