Laws in regards to recovery’s?

Albynsw

I’m not exactly sure what it is that you wouldn’t say?

I wasn’t trying to say the discussion isn’t worth having, but if the fear of litigation is going to stop people being decent (my opinion), that does disappoint me.

I don’t know, perhaps I’ve misunderstood a couple of posts.

Without going into details, about 5 years ago I did something in a public place that I thought was in the public’s best interest and at the time viewed the situation as dangerous and life threatening to others but not to me personally.
As it turned out what I did was technically illegal and I was charged for it. The litigating officers acknowledged that my intentions were good but had no choice but to proceed with the litigation. I had to hire a barrister and front court and was let off with being guilty but no record held and placed on a 2 year good behaviour bond. The ordeal still cost me 5 thousand dollars with court and legal costs. All for me being a Good Samaritan
The whole ordeal left me bitter and twisted and whilst still always keen to lend a hand are much more cautious with what I do as a result.

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Without going into details, about 5 years ago I did something in a public place that I thought was in the public’s best interest and at the time viewed the situation as dangerous and life threatening to others but not to me personally.
As it turned out what I did was technically illegal and I was charged for it.
Whatever it was, I’m sure you did a good thing, and thank you for putting others before yourself. There should be more people like you out there.
I just hope your previous experience doesn’t make any future situations harder for you to deal with.

I do feel for you, but I’ll also add that I’d rather be out of pocket $5k and have a clear conscience, than to just tow the line all the time.

Sorry if any of my comments touched a nerve.

LCV8VICTORIA

The only reason i made this thread was to see if anyone had and idea on the rules

On the weekend I came across 2 cars
One was 10m off the side of a hill
And
One was 2-3m over the edge

I was confidant I could pull the one not so far down out of trouble
But the one further down was a big Ask and if i attempt it and my winch rope snaped and caused my damage to there car or it went further down the cliff
I would hate to cause a bigger problem for someone

That is all
I don’t want to turn people off helping people because I think it’s good
Just make sure it’s in a safe manner and well thought out :)

Albynsw

Whatever it was, I’m sure you did a good thing, and thank you for putting others before yourself. There should be more people like you out there.
I just hope your previous experience doesn’t make any future situations harder for you to deal with.

I do feel for you, but I’ll also add that I’d rather be out of pocket $5k and have a clear conscience, than to just tow the line all the time.

Sorry if any of my comments touched a nerve.

All good, no nerves hit, just telling of my own personal experience and how the law looks at things from a purely technical/ legal point of view.
I asked the officer, what if someone was injured or killed had I not done what I did? And the answer was it is not your problem :rolleyes: I said I couldn’t live with myself knowing I could have prevented a situation and chose not to but that is how the system works

Barra GU

Great thread topic.

I cam back from the snow last weekend at buller and have to say the amount of people who have no idea how to adjust to said conditions is astonishing...

The chain bays were full of people who didmt know how to put chains on, didnt understamd that youre not to drive above 40klmh on the chains either..
Some of them even disregarded the fact that chains were required amd even drove to the top without them...
I have to give kudos to the guy who was driving a prius who manged to get from bottom to top if buller last weekend without his chains on amd compeltely suprised me...

Upon our return there were also a 2 hire cars with people from an eastern background who rather than get to the bottom of buller and remove chains chose to drive back to mansfield with there chains on causing them to rip off amd damge the vehicles and still not stop till they got to the ski hire place...

In regards to the recovery i tend to think that being the experiemced person conducting the recovery its up to ypu to decide whether helping will be safe and if you think its not then get them to underatand your reasons why amd dont do it...
In sayimg that if something goes wrong they shpuld be told all care no responsibility but them again thats why they have insurance

Spooner

Needless to say we left this one alone for the professionals :D
Corolla.jpg

HJ75 Rob

This discussion needs some lawyers to give their opinion, get the precedents if there are any. Then make a decision. More than one lawyer preferably three for the opinion, they may differ.

Cheers
Rob

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Can you see the video Roger posted?
If so, the link above is just to the original Facebook post and comments.

Last edited:

callmejoe

I see nothing wrong.
The tank thing back on it wheels. ;);)

My guess from where the tank ended up. They have put it back on its wheel with out 1st checking to see if the brakes where on. .

Result back on it wheels and it rolled away, still connected to the recovery cable.

Unfortunately easy done. Seen the same results a few times.
I bet ya he wont be poplar with the higher laws aboves.