Latest on the Simpson/Floods etc

smitty_r51

Update from qld police /MtDare hotel

There is a way out of Birdsville! Stephan Pursell (Birdsville police) tells me the road to Windorah is now open and the road North to Longreach is open from there. No access from the South yet, but that may not be far away. Bear in mind there is still water coming down the Diamantina and may close Birdsville off again for a few days, so check with the Birdsville Information Centre (07 4656 3300) before heading up there. How much water will get into Eyre Ck is a bit of an unknown, so that may be a challenge as well. Good luck.

dabbler

I'm exploring some of that country in the next two weeks, leaving tomorrow. No special 4x4ing planned, just roads less-travelled with the aim of returned to Gold Coast by 23rd. A contact in Quilpie Police told me yesterday that things are changing daily and the flow through the Cooper isn't a steady rise or fall. As trip planning is hit and miss, my plan is stop and talk to every cop shop. I'm still hoping Cameron Corner might open up in time.

Will be interesting to see just how wet it is out there in early July when we plan to cross the Simpson for the Big Red Bash..
Have asked several times if the Big Red eastern side lake has returned but have not received a clear answer - guess this two will be a surprise at the time.

Tink

If you are on Facebook, the Mt Dare Hotel has posted a great aerial video. I have no idea how to post a link. Maybe somebody more intelligent could post it for me?
Tink

barcher

If you are on Facebook, the Mt Dare Hotel has posted a great aerial video. I have no idea how to post a link. Maybe somebody more intelligent could post it for me?
Tink

We flew over Eyre Creek a couple of days ago and it is an impressive (but disappointing) sight. There is a lot of water flowing and it will take a while for the access tracks to the bypass to dry up. There was also some rain out on the eastern side and some of the clay pans are a bit soft at the moment.

Taken from Mt Dare facebook page.

Last edited: