Larger alternator, has any one replaced there factory alternator for a larger one?

Mud_x

Larger alternator, has any one replaced there factory alternator for a larger one? Factory one is on the small side particularly if you have a duel battery or are running a winch. May be there is a Isuzu truck one that would bolt straight in?

mac_man_luke

thats surprising, does not tend to me be an issue on modern vehicles, most tend to be over 100amp alternators.

Tink

Larger alternator, has any one replaced there factory alternator for a larger one? Factory one is on the small side particularly if you have a duel battery or are running a winch. May be there is a Isuzu truck one that would bolt straight in?
I believe you have a 2014 MUX. Yes? If so, it has a 120 amp alternator. THe Dmax only has a 90 amp job which I find is more than adequate.
Tink

tom60

You should not require a larger alternator for a second battery. The rough rule is the initial (bulk) charge should not be more than 33% of the battery capacity. (eg, 100Ah battery - max charge 33A)
To work out the current (amps) the winch requires divide the winch power (watts or Volt/Amps) by 12. If that is more than the alternator output then your winch will be drawing power from both the winch and battery. You don't want to run the winch from the second battery as it's probably a traction (leisure) battery and designed to provide only small quantities of power over a long period. The high and rapid power drain from a winch may damage it. If necessary, the winch should use the starter battery (but not drain it). The rated max output of an alternator is NOT what it usually provides. It's more like 80% of the rated output.