Change background image

LandCruiser VDJ76R GXL

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by Biesel, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Biesel

Biesel Active Member

Toyota LandCruiser VDJ76R GXL, 2010

Good Points
    Classic, ageless aesthetics. Tough. Traffic friendly. It's a LandCruiser.

Bad Points
    Turning circle took some adjustment (previously in a diesel Forester). Stiff rear suspension reminiscent of a slammed HSV on speedhumps.

What mods have you done?
    Toyota Steel Winch bar, Baja Stealth lightbar, GME aerial, Red Dirt Diesel Chip, Black Duck seatcovers, Toyota rubber floor mats, Sungrabber dash mat, Goodyear Duratrac 265/75/16 tyres, Hannibal rack and Hannibal awning, Bushranger Wheelie Bag

What mods are on the list to do?
    Winch, long range fuel tank, Hella Rallye 4000 55w, 2" lift, rear eLocker

Why did you buy this vehicle?
    Love touring, Love finding the perfect camping spot off the beaten track, low range gearbox, long lasting big classic truck

How often do you go offroad?
    at least once or twice a month?

What will your next vehicle be?
    None. I love this truck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. marty e

marty e Member

Nice one the 76ers are coming out of the wood work now

3. Biesel

Biesel Active Member

Thanks Marty!

Latest upgrades this weekend :cool:

Attached Files:

4. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Nice looking vehicle mate, oh don't forget to put a piece of zip tie through the eye of the shackle, it won't vibrate lose and you wont lose it then.

Trust me it happens lol.

5. Biesel

Biesel Active Member

Hi Swaggie thanks for that but what exactly do you mean sorry? Do you mean the pin that holds the two parts of the hook together?

6. Gavo

Gavo 4x4 Earth Contributer

Sexy looking truck mate. Haha pretty much exactly same as mine! Your going to love it!

No man ever cut himself bearding!

Toddyh likes this.
  7. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi

Its only small but effective, I usefully leave it on the end all together and take the pin out under the tow bar and put it all in a canvas bag behind my back seat. Noticed you had the recovery shackle in one of your pics..

[​IMG]

Goodluck

8. Biesel

Biesel Active Member

arh that makes sense thought you were referring to the winch hook. Yep had the shackle fall out before lucky we back tracked and found it. on this occasion it was only lightly tightened.

Probably going to book in for a 2inch OME lift and long ranger tank this week, most likely a rear eaton elocker as well.

Buxter likes this.
  9. Gavo

Just for a heads up, iron man's fuel tank is fair bit cheaper ($450 cheaper) than a lot of the other brands.

Toddyh likes this.
  10. Biesel

Biesel Active Member

Looked at the ironman but it appears to hang down a lot lower?

11. Gavo

Unless my old truck happened to have an ironman in it too (old truck came with long range) I can't pick difference. I'll take few pics for you tomorrow in the light.

Toddyh likes this.
  12. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

Twin 760CCA's... nice!! I was wondering where they stuck the second battery. What's the going rate of a dual battery install including battery?

13. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

How do you find the 76 with the Red Dirt chip? What was the extra grunt like and where do you notice it most in the rev range? Does it have more power past factory 3500rpm?

14. Biesel

Biesel Active Member

I went cheap on the second battery it's just the standard century 720cca. the tray cost about $180 from memory and the projecta dual battery kit cost like $130. Not a full dcdc charging option but i'll see how it goes over the next few week will just keep a close eye on both batteries. The battery was $190, so not a cheap mod but hopefully worth while.

The red dirt chip I had from another car so made sense to get it remapped for the cruiser. it made the most difference through the mid range, don't really rev the cruiser to 3500rpm too know mate.

15. prawns

prawns Moderator

Not lightly tightened - Nearly lost it hahahhaha - Lucky when we pulled over to air up the tyres we noticed it
    [​IMG]

Swaggies tip with the cable ties is definatly somthing you should do if you leave it on mate, else it wont be there when you need it the most! And you might be up for the $$$ to replace the radiator of the vehicle behind you if it goes really badly on a highway :eek:
    Its also a bit of a theft deterrant while at shopping centers - hard to get off without sidecutters or scissors

Nice rig BTW :) - Sounds like you got some great mods going on it. Be sure to take some measurements and photos before and after the 2 inch lift :)

16. Biesel

Biesel Active Member

Booked in for the OME lift and tank for this friday.

17. Biesel

Biesel Active Member

Thanks Gavo, I'd like to see photos. Though we are pretty sure we want the longranger. I was quoted $1150 for the ironman fitted and $1400 for the longrange fitted through arb so the price isn't too bad. But where possible we like to support an aussie product otherwise nothing will be made here soon.

18. BTFIVO

BTFIVO Well-Known Member

I second this idea as mine didn't rattle loose... someone helped it loosen up and took off with it. It at least is a deterant or slows them down.

19. Gavo

uploadfromtaptalk1394439614232.jpg
    Not greatest photo sorry. And you can see a slight weep from filler nozzle. I didn't quite nip up hose clamp.
    I looked at every brand and to be honest for less than $750 i couldn't spot the difference between the brands. Pretty much exactly same mounting brackets.

I appreciate your keep it local theory though. I didn't take that into account.

Toddyh likes this.
  20. Biesel

Biesel Active Member

OME 2" with all the trimmings and a Long Ranger tank

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014