Landcruiser 300 Series

discomatt

It looks like a Great Wall/Haval, but uglier............
Looks like the exact copy of the latest Patrol facelift, saw one yesterday and thought it was a new 300 until I saw the badge.
Sorry but just more generic bland and realy not updated at all car

discomatt

I've driven thousands of outback kilometres in a Land Rover and a Jeep for no breakdowns. A sane person drives those brands like they are breakable, half expecting something to go wrong, where a Toyota driver may drive it like it's unbreakable and push a bit too hard. It's a bit like driving with no bullbar, you're way more careful than if you have full frontal protection.
Not entirely true, I hammered the crap out of my unmentionable 4wd when on the Kimberly trip in every respect to find out how well it was built, what was the weak points and what would wear out. I made sure I had plenty of $$ for recovery and insurance cover as well fully expecting something to give somewhere.
End result, front control arms hydo bushes and thats it replaced 10,000 km after trip, possibly halfed the life of the struts but at over 100,000km still original and still fine not a single squeak, rattle or any failure.
Sorry all, humblest apologies, back on topic.
Ugly with no real updates but fantastic because there is a dealer everywhere to fix the best 4wd on the market when it breaks

Albynsw

Hahahahaha, you blokes just remember this discussion when you are sitting in a flat bed with old mate getting a lift back to the nearest capital city to reset the computer that went into limp mode because you changed your tyre pressures :D

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
It's funny how people bang on about the looks, in reality most on here that would buy one, would probably go straight off and install a Bull Bar, Roof Rack and other necessary items for touring / 4wding immediately changing the frontal look of the vehicle anyway - I know I will as I have hit a few roos in my time and I like to carry a spare tyre on the roof.

To me it is no different to when the Triton was released but the look has grown on a number of people, I bought one for work and don't mind it but suspect when I sell it the buyer will probably put a Bull Bar on it.

cheers

McGinnis

It's a bit like the Y62. That's only sold as an infinity in the US.

Not true. The Y62 sold as the Nissan Armada in the US (with some minor suspension and driveline differences), with the luxury version being the Infiniti QX56/80. The same as the Australian LandCruiser/Lexus differentiation.

Not to derail but my vehicle when I was based out of Colorado was an Armada, and I hated everything about it - other than the power.

Last edited:

linuxfan66

Let's hope so Matt. Toyota would have spent 8 years making sure it is predictable, reliable and dependable. Nothing better in a vehicle than lack of surprises when away.

Boring is good in vehicle reliability. That's what people buy, and Toyota sells.

You can look at their web site where they talk about an evolutionary approach to design, it's in their DNA. No, it IS their DNA. It is called kaizen. Fingers crossed the 300 isn't a half-arsed product release that isn't fit for purpose. If you want to gamble on new untried concepts that are unproven, and if you prefer form over function, then you'll have to look outside the 300 I'd guess.
too many people in general complain a vehicle is boring while failing to understand boring in good when you want a workhorse. I want a v10 toureg, but does that mean i should put up with it's issues, no.

red hilux

Not true. The Y62 sold as the Nissan Armada in the US (with some minor suspension and driveline differences), with the luxury version being the Infiniti QX56/80. The same as the Australian LandCruiser/Lexus differentiation.

Not to derail but my vehicle when I was based out of Colorado was an Armada, and I hated everything about it - other than the power.

The US Amarda isn’t a patrol.

The Amarda is a lot bigger 4wd.

Comparison would be our X trail to the patrol in terms of size. With the patrol being the X trail in this case.

Another example is our Ford Explorer. They have a Ford Expedition.

shanegtr

The US Amarda isn’t a patrol.

The Amarda is a lot bigger 4wd.

Comparison would be our X trail to the patrol in terms of size. With the patrol being the X trail in this case.

Another example is our Ford Explorer. They have a Ford Expedition.
Its not that much bigger - 140mm longer and 35mm wider, but 15mm lower. Wheelbase is the same. The extra dimensions is probably just a different front and rear bumper and from what I can see some wider wheel arches. Its basically the same vehicle

McGinnis

Yep, it is the same vehicle with very minor differences. The 2021 facelift might change things a little, I know nothing about them. But for the 2017-2020 ones, they are 100% both Y62s.

The X-Trail and Explorer comparisons are just completely wrong and misleading.

red hilux

Its not that much bigger - 140mm longer and 35mm wider, but 15mm lower. Wheelbase is the same. The extra dimensions is probably just a different front and rear bumper and from what I can see some wider wheel arches. Its basically the same vehicle

we comfortably had 9 people sitting in it

Last edited:

red hilux

Yep, it is the same vehicle with very minor differences. The 2021 facelift might change things a little, I know nothing about them. But for the 2017-2020 ones, they are 100% both Y62s.

The X-Trail and Explorer comparisons are just completely wrong and misleading.
I dont think so. What it felt like to me when I was there

McGinnis

Because they are sucked into the belief that they are the most reliable car on the planet and that having a dealer in every town is vital. All BS

Eh, really not BS. Simple fact.

012a.JPG

I'm not a zealot, I like (old) LRs, but a lot of people like Toyotas too - and for good reasons.

Last edited:

discomatt

We have all seen the JD reliability reports, what most don't take into account a simple glitch that leaves a warning on the dash is a fault, a cup holder that breaks is a fault.
Theses reliability studies represent more about build quality than reliability, if Toyota put in more cup holders they would fall down the list.
Some manufacturers have never been able to produce a good hand brake in a 4wd, maybe poor design from the get go should be added as a category?
We all know how crap LR's are but from my 100,000's km in them with some extreme 4wding and lots of touring never once let down other than crap workmanship from mechanics on 2 occasions , yep thats right never 1 break down in 15 years and about 650,000km from the well known reliability issues.
Would I but a new LR ? No not any of the current models.
Sorry to mention the unmentionable!!
Might go and buy a 300 they will be fantastic in every respect without question and when, sorry if it ever has a fault I can go to any dealer anywhere and they will have every part and fantastic "technicians"

boobook

We have all seen the JD reliability reports, what most don't take into account a simple glitch that leaves a warning on the dash is a fault, a cup holder that breaks is a fault.
To be clear. There is a JD Power reliability survey which is as you describe. And there is the main JD Power dependability survey as per the one above. That specifically deals with faults that are to do with how dependable the vehicle is for faults that require more serious repairs. Nothing to do with cup holders. Things like crankcases, etc. You can look it up on their website.

Just getting the facts straight.

discomatt

From JD site,
From the collection, categorization, and formation of these scores comes the J.D. Power Consumer Verified Ratings. These ratings are given to each model per year, including an overall rating as well as sub-ratings for quality and reliability (40%), driving experience (20%), resale value (20%), and dealership experience (20%).

Last edited:

linuxfan66

JD power doesnt how reliabilty beyond the intial few years of ownership(ie the most reliable time to own most cars). so while i can be a decent predictor for later issues related to build quality, its no be all and end all. hard to find reports like that for 5, 7, and 10 year marks done objectively. also maintenance, harshness of treatment, mods, and enviroment also effect it at that point.

boobook

Of course, it's a sample of owners.

I think we should all agree that Land Rovers are the most reliable vehicles and try to take the thread off topic to 300's. This thread has now morphed into a LR thread 2 maybe 3 times Even though the LR lovers referred to " that vehicle that shall not be named" then continue to go on about Disco's thinking that's all good and normal.

I stopped posting the latest 300 info here about a week ago cause it was pointless. This thread has very little to do with that - as usual.

If anyone is interested in the 300 details there is Lcool. IH8MUD and 300 facebook sites with the latest. I suggest following them, then there is the the local rags with the latest rumour that they make up.

Sadly it's getting near impossible to find interest in this thread or even Earth lately. Some may be very happy about that LOL.

I repeat, my beef is not about people criticising the 300. In fact that is exactly what this thread is for, it's the continual change of topic to "how good is my Disco" and the amazing alternate bubbles of truth that go with that. Eg Toyota's are unreliable - that's why they need more dealers. Pfft. FFS seriously? Or "LR's aren't unreliable, their cup holders just break. If Toyotas had a cup holder they would be unreliable too". :

Seriously ? All about how good is my Disco. If people are interested in that. Then they are on the right thread. If people really think that stuff is true, it explains when they need to justify their vehicle decision to everyone in most threads.

For others, you are wasting your time on this thread.

o_O

Last edited: