Landcruiser 300 Series

CTL

Remember seeing two, yep 2, giant 5th wheelers stuck in an Alice Springs caravan park waiting for their tow vehicles, both F150s, to have their transmissions replaced. One was quoted $14K and the other just over $12K. They were not happy boomers

boobook

Are there any extended LC or other that have been around for 10 years yet? I'd love to see how they are holding up compared to a stock chassis.
I think Creative Conversions have been doing 80 series since the early '90s. They have a very good reputation, so there must be evidence one way or another for the last 30 odd years.

cam04

I think Creative Conversions have been doing 80 series since the early '90s. They have a very good reputation, so there must be evidence one way or another for the last 30 odd years.
and the arkhana extended troopy tour busses prior to that in the 1980's - there are versions of those still getting about. No reason to expect that they won't last at least as long as a standard one.

hiluxxury

I'd like to see it. The conversions I've seen look nicely finished on the outside of the chassis but lacking a bit on the rust protection when you send a camera inside down the chassis rail.

Albynsw

Saw this Nissan at Tunnel Creek last week

17014B14-7863-4042-A8FB-9CB6E32E116A.jpeg

Albynsw

There was a 300 series parked in the carpark of a local small industrial complex. A visitor saw it and proceeded to door knock the factories to find the owner because he wanted to buy it. Ended up paying him 190k for it. o_O
The seller bought a Ranger, put the balance of money in the bank and put his name on the list for another 300

Pretty crazy

Rusty Panels

Have seen several down my way over the last few months with various state regos. Some with bull bars some without. Doesn't seem to matter what you do to them they are still ugly. My mates brother in law bought one and ended up travelling to Tassie to pick it up. He has already had issues with it going into limp mode for no apparent reason while towing with his caravan. No fix yet apparently.

Albynsw

I dont really have a strong opinion on their looks, neither like them or hate them. Kinda like when you kiss your sister, it just does nothing for me.
I feel the same about the Patrol too. Could own either if it made sense to do so but it wouldn’t be an emotional purchase

linuxfan66

There was a 300 series parked in the carpark of a local small industrial complex. A visitor saw it and proceeded to door knock the factories to find the owner because he wanted to buy it. Ended up paying him 190k for it. o_O
The seller bought a Ranger, put the balance of money in the bank and put his name on the list for another 300

Pretty crazy
anyone who pays that much is a fool. its not worth it

discomatt

Reading an interesting book called The Psychology of money at the moment, it discusses people who spend like that, not very smart and the ending is generally the same.
He has already had issues with it going into limp mode for no apparent reason while towing with his caravan. No fix yet apparently.
No surprise Toyota are renowned for screwing up new models with multiple example along the line , personally I wouldn't buy one for the new asking price let alone the inflated I must have it now and who cares stupid tax , although to buy one with the sole intention of on selling it could be a good investment but who knows what will be going on in the car market in 2 years when its in your driveway

Albynsw

Yes I hear you and I wouldn’t pay it either but I kinda do understand why some would, not because it is a Toyota but people are doing all sorts of strange things paying overs on cars and caravans etc. If you have the money ( plenty of people do) and you want something now because you want to go do your big lap now rather than waiting a couple of years for the prices to settle down then you just pay and do,

I have been keeping an eye on Travel trucks and the used ones I was looking at a few years back are now selling for 150k more now, it is just crazy stuff.

boobook

Yes I hear you and I wouldn’t pay it either but I kinda do understand why some would, not because it is a Toyota but people are doing all sorts of strange things paying overs on cars and caravans etc. If you have the money ( plenty of people do) and you want something now because you want to go do your big lap now rather than waiting a couple of years for the prices to settle down then you just pay and do,

I have been keeping an eye on Travel trucks and the used ones I was looking at a few years back are now selling for 150k more now, it is just crazy stuff.

The 'Fools' described here that paid $100K for a 2 - 3 year old Landcruiser a year or so now can now sell that same car for $110 - $120K. LOL

Agreed Alby, if you have the money, then the premium may not even be a rounding error. I suspect someone with that money is not a total fool. To say that someone that spends money on discretionary items is not very smart is unfair when you have zero idea of person's personal situation.

Is he a fool if he is in the industry and knows things will not get better soon? No
Is he fool if he planned a $200K holiday in Europe and changed his mind to do Australian road trips instead? No
Is he a fool if he sold properties and will save a lot of tax by buying a tax deductable vehicle in the same tax year. NOPE
Is he a fool if his son found out he had 6 months to live and wanted to go around Australia? Hell no.
There are thousands of reasons why that could make total sense to him, and not to the people who know nothing. Sheez.
Maybe the guy bought a $260K Range Rover to go around Australia, and it never left the workshop. He cut his losses and got a car that could get outside Brighton without breaking down. Saved hundreds of thousands, his sanity and his marriage. :) A bloody bargain

Last edited:

Albynsw

Agree, the premium they paid is the cost of a European holiday so there are plenty of ways you could justify the purchase if you want to.
I know a well off self made young bloke who recently spent 20k on coke and hookers in one night.:eek: He wouldn’t flinch at buying a vehicle with that premium attached if he wanted it. ( I don’t agree with his lifestyle choices but he knows how to make money)

Rusty Panels

As I've said previously I'm not a fan of the look of the 300 which is important to me. If I was going to shell out that sort of money I would want it to be capable, comfortable, powerful, economical and attractive.
The design department of Toyota have obviously become very lazy after the successes of the previous models and decided that it's not important for the 300 to be attractive to those blessed with the gift of sight.