Landcruiser 300 Series

shanegtr

tell me if im wrong but couldnt you upgrade your roof hold capacity by putting additional strength points welded/bolted to the frame and away from the roof?
No one doesn't a roof capacity upgrade. Anyway the roof structure will generally deal with higher loads - after all it has to hold up to a reasonable degree in the event of a roll over. The mount system for a roof rack is another matter, some brands are good and others are shit. Some vehicle brands have better mounting setups than others as well

boobook

Bet it would handle like a pig with 200kg up top

Yep, I agree, I try to keep anything heavy off the roof. I watched a Patrol with RTT and stuff on the roof and lifted change lanes a few times on a 75kmph multi-lane hwy. it rocked and rolled.

Roof top strength is one thing, how it is used is up to the owner.

cam04

tell me if im wrong but couldnt you upgrade your roof hold capacity by putting additional strength points welded/bolted to the frame and away from the roof?
Here’s one i prepared a whole lot earlier (late 80’s early 90’s?). That kid turned 50 on the weekend.
this was a common style of full cage with integrated rack, rear bumper and running boards all bolted direct to the chassis for load bearing and a couple of body points to keep it braced. I carried some stupid weight up there when I was an apprentice chippy.
Transferring this sort of ‘engineering’ onto a modern vehicle would be fraught with danger. But since you asked the question, not completely impossible. It would be a compliance, insurance nightmare though.
B35F70D7-871F-42FC-AF80-DFB16352EC30.jpeg

Last edited:

LongRoad2Go

Here’s one i prepared a whole lot earlier (late 80’s early 90’s?). That kid turned 50 on the weekend.
this was a common style of full cage with integrated rack, rear bumper and running boards all bolted direct to the chassis for load bearing and a couple of body points to keep it braced. I carried some stupid weight up there when I was an apprentice chippy.
Transferring this sort of ‘engineering’ onto a modern vehicle would be fraught with danger. But since you asked the question, not completely impossible. It would be a compliance, insurance nightmare though.
View attachment 72150
Reminds me of an Uncles LC 40 Series he had back in the 1980's. Similar bar-work, though the roof rack was a heavy steel frame with thick timber planks. Fuel economy? What's that! :D

LongRoad2Go

Quotes from the video:

Raises the bar for all 4x4 wagons with this level of road capability anywhere in the world … Competes with luxury SUV’s on road … One of the best luxury SUV’s you can buy … truly special.

Really? Sorry, unconvinced. Okay, it has some refinements on previous models, but, it’s no leap forward in anything that hasn't already been seen. It certainly escalates in price quickly throughout the models. No manual option and still has a CD player? WTF!

Definitely has a purpose: family mover, pulling various things (caravans, horse floats). Though, for the ‘serious’ off-roader brigade, not fit for that purpose and isn’t really intended for it.

It will certainly continue to shit people as it conducts illegal multiple-point turns across double centre lines outside of schools during drop off/pick up times. ;)

So, all in all, they’ll sell like hotcakes!

Sorry for channelling John Cadogan … :eek:

callmejoe

I'm waiting for the "Real world comparison test".
They will line up the Landrover the Y62 and maybe now a D Max.

Then even before they finish the reviews they'll be concluding that it the best thing since sliced bread and its the "best buy" all mainly due to the "reliability", even though it's a brand new motor.

boobook

I'm waiting for the "Real world comparison test".
They will line up the Landrover the Y62 and maybe now a D Max.

Then even before they finish the reviews they'll be concluding that it the best thing since sliced bread and its the "best buy" all mainly due to the "reliability", even though it's a brand new motor.

The "reliability" speak comes from Toyota, it is in overseas reviews too. It appears to be a comparison to Land Rover which is a bad sign because to me it signals that Toyota is trying to get into the expensive luxury SUV market with a veiled swipe at LR. Maybe Toyota reads 4x4 earth too much.

One thing is for sure. Toyota has hung its hat on getting 'there and back safely'. For my favourite 4wding trips - deserts. That is probably the top feature you could ask for.

The journo's will be busting to do 2 way and 3 way comparison tests, but they really don't test them properly. A few steep looking hills, a few puddles and the photo shots are done. Then they hand the cars back after 3 - 4 days with no interest in long term ownership issues.

Albynsw

I take little notice of what the journalists say, you want to hear from owners after they have put a few k on them.

Will be interesting to see what issues come up, no doubt there will be some.

From a pricing point of view the market has demonstrated their willingness to cough up the coin. Toyota are taking advantage of the opportunity to set a new benchmark with the 300 and I don’t doubt people will accept it as the new normal just like paying hundreds of thousands more for a home than they did 18 months ago

peterfermtech

Toyota owners are like parents talking about their kids. They are all perfect despite all the obvious faults. Why would you expect an honest answer from a Toyota owner when any criticism is like a criticism of the owner.

boobook

Maybe those people that paid high prices for 200's won't look so silly after all.

Toyota customers face more than a year of delays because of parts shortages. The Japanese giant has announced it will stop production at its Japanese plants in September, putting the brakes on 27 of its 28 production lines responsible for vehicles including the Toyota Corolla hatchback, Toyota RAV4 SUV and the all-new Toyota LandCruiser 300 Series.

Albynsw

Wow 27 of its 28 production lines :eek: I bet the one line that is still going is the 70 series because they make them out of the parts bin. With a bit of luck my new one might come with a radio from the more upmarket Corona instead of the Corolla if they are getting low on bits, push button radio presets, AM and FM plus a backlit screen :cool:

mikehzz

Wow 27 of its 28 production lines :eek: I bet the one line that is still going is the 70 series because they make them out of the parts bin. With a bit of luck my new one might come with a radio from the more upmarket Corona instead of the Corolla if they are getting low on bits, push button radio presets, AM and FM plus a backlit screen :cool:
The eternal optimist, thinking you'll get FM. :)

boobook

Land Rover is taking a different approach. They are reducing the electronics specs on their vehicles.

If Toyota closes it's production, we are possibly facing the unthinkable scenario that Landrovers outsell Land Crusiers, and become more reliable than they were before, with less troublesome electronics. Who woulda thought? Land Rover purists will be over the moon. LOL.

You could also argue that if LR removed the touch screen with it's 4wd controls, depth sensors, autonomous steering and braking, surround system, reverse camera and winch, that owners would actually have no less functionality. The engine check light would have to stay. It gets a lot of use. LOL

All we need now is an interior headlining shortage, a crank case shortage, a main bearing shortage, a control arm shortage, a hand brake shortage, a winch shortage, and of course an oil shortage, and Land Rovers may become half reliable. :)

Land Rover has promised that reliability will improve 5 - 6 times. Maybe this time it will happen.

Last edited:

boobook

na, they still wildly overpaid and will probably pay the price in debt load and depreciation later
That's definitely what common sense would tell you.

I think that just doesn't matter to these buyers. They can't drop 50 to 60k on the annual Europe trip, so who cares. The only real 4x4 SUV choices for a dependable family towing holiday this year are the 200 or Y62. And it's prices are also sky rocketing.