Land Rover Discovery 2,,,TD5 Auto 1999

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
Land Rover Discovery 2,,,TD5 Auto, 1999

Good Points
Comfortable to sit in front or rear seats when touring.
Cappable off road ex factory.

Bad Points
Centre difff lock disconected when series 2 realeased (reinstaled @2004).
Most "non service items" come ex England.
Sourcing reliable parts (lots of inferior parts around).

What mods have you done?
Setting up for touring so here is the list as it sits now (1/3/10)..
BFG KM2 265/75/16(32") LT, was 235/70/16(29"),(Cooper ATR gone). Inverted spare wheel carier.
OME 40mm lift constant rate heavy duty springs with OME Nitro shockers.
ARB Bullbar with Warn M8000 low mount winch. Also has Roo Whistles stuck to it.
AMV Steering gaurd.
LRA Front diff protector.
Front Recovery points.
Narva 170mm round driving lights(with tide marks).
Safari snorkel with Land Rover And Safari names moulded into it.
TJM full length steped roof rack with gas bottle holder mounted to it(extended hose on stove to suit).
High-lift jack and shovel mounted to R/H side of roof rack also.
Rubish bag with velcro opening straped to spare tyre.
LRA centre diff lock activation cable fitted. Handle in front of drivers seat.
Roof mounted GME TX4400 UHF.
Console mounted Uniden PRO510e CB.
Hand held UHF also, great for being called up tracks for camera shots(and winching:()
ARB air compresor mounted under L/H front seat, Stawns ect in pencil case in door pocket.
Duel Batt System... Exide Extreme with Red Arc comtrol, LED tell tale on dash.
Modified Piranha fuse box.. 3- 2nd batt, 3- start batt fuses available.
2 Merrit plugs in rear cargo area. Waeco 35ltr fridge and Two Zone remote head unit.
Wired L/H reverse light to 2nd batt with a switch for camp flood light.
Engine saver low water alarm with head temperature monitor.
Rear home made shelf with cargo barrier.
Under shelf...20ltr water, tool box, recovery kit(ext.+2snatch+tree protector, chain, shackles,pully, rain coat,sand bag Ect.),tent pegs, stove(and stool),air line,date roll and folding shovel, tow reciever/recovery point.
Nanocom(Reads most onboard computers).
Latest project under way...Navigation aid...
300W inverter, HP note book and AV infrared GPS

What mods are on the list to do?
Mount HP note book with out blocking air bags.
Awning to mount of L/H side of roof rack.
I'm sure there is more.

Why did you buy this vehicle?
Had a lot of the main items fitted..
Bull bar and winch, roof rack, duel batt, radios..

How often do you go offroad?
Around every 3rd w/end. Hard living close to Wombat SF :)

What will your next vehicle be?
SHMBO wants a Disco 4.
I want a 1964 series2 Landrover as a daily driver.

Last edited:

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
If it's not on, it's not on. One should always have protection.

Well I've upgraded the tyres to KM2's and fitted diff gaurd,steering gaurd, and recovery points:D

It all started after buying the recovery points from Philco(aulro.com)
I knew my wombat bar was bent so thought I'll go a steering gaurd too, AMV ended up with a sale.
I've wanted to protect the diff centre for a while so I called past Les Richmond Automotive and grabed one.

Fitting them wasn't as easy as it could have been due to my own fault, must meashure things next time
Each item was OK, just the combination slowed me up till I went through my options.
Ended up mounting the steering gaurd brackets to the inside of the rails instead of the out side. Nothing a slight touch with angle grinder didn't fix
I've taken the corner out of the steering gaurd so the shakle fitts easy.
A redrill of the 4 plate to bracket holes and on it went(still have to counter sink the holes when I find the correct drill bit).

Quite happy in the end as my recovery points are nice and high and mounted flat to the crush can/chassis rail
Havn't tried the tyres out yet as I've also done the cardin joint thing
Did the pinion seal while it was out too as a slight weapage was happening.

Hi mate. I owned one of these from new. A 2001 Mod. Did 180'000km in it. Your centre diff lock is still there there just isn't an activator for it. You should be able to get one fitted for about 500-600. You will have a button on the dash then to activate it. If you want to keep this one or get a Series don't let your missus in a D4 or a D3 or it will be the end of both the old girls. My TD5 was slightly better than my Patrol comfort wise but both were 100 miles behind my D3 for comfort. No comparison. D3 is every bit as capable to. I know where there might be a 1958 Series 1 109" Ute for sale that is a good doer upper but being a Series 1 they aren't cheap. Suggest you use NULON Diesel Injector Cleaner regularly. i did and never had an issue but I heard lots of horror stories about injector issues and big repair bills. Great car. Enjoy!

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi mate. I owned one of these from new. A 2001 Mod. Did 180'000km in it. Your centre diff lock is still there there just isn't an activator for it. You should be able to get one fitted for about 500-600. You will have a button on the dash then to activate it. If you want to keep this one or get a Series don't let your missus in a D4 or a D3 or it will be the end of both the old girls. My TD5 was slightly better than my Patrol comfort wise but both were 100 miles behind my D3 for comfort. No comparison. D3 is every bit as capable to. I know where there might be a 1958 Series 1 109" Ute for sale that is a good doer upper but being a Series 1 they aren't cheap. Suggest you use NULON Diesel Injector Cleaner regularly. i did and never had an issue but I heard lots of horror stories about injector issues and big repair bills. Great car. Enjoy!
Already fitted a lRA activation cable for the diff lock, works a treat.
Mmm D3 I wish:D
A mate has an nice highbred, Range Rover chassis and drive train with a series 3 single cab ute body and tray, best of both worlds:cool:

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
Update Time

Fitted a proper rated moused hook to the winch.
Refitted the winch motor brushs as fitted poorly on the rebuild.
It stoped working as no earth path due to brush holder falling out of it's catch:mad:
PICT2398.JPG

Fitted a rear steel bar, it has recovery points but I don't think I'll use them.
I'll stick to using the Bush Ranger tow hitch adaptor.
Also fitted rear mudflaps on chains so they can be tied up when reversing in rockier terain.
PICT2400.JPG

Re-wired the 2nd battery using 7 core trailer wire.
Put the fuse box back to standard and have a fuse each for the fridge, reverse light/UHF/CB, 3 lighting outlets.
Retained the heavier wire for the invertor.
Yes, thats 5 merit plugs now, inside the rear door there is 2 on the left and 1 on the right, plus the fridge and invertor ones further forward near the LHR seat.
Also trimed the fridge shelf I use for the laptop for a neater look.

Awning going on this week, mounts done but it's being swaped under warenty as one arm wouldn't undo:(
I've modified some Zinc brackets I bought at the big Green shed as nothing on the TJM rack is square.
PICT2381.JPG PICT2382.JPG

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hey Rob,
All going well now but I've had a couple of failures of note for your research.
I broke a timing chain and didn't replace the tensioner leading to another failure.
All good now and I've only heard of 1 other doing it so it's not common.
The auto broke the sprag clutch which was my fault due to bad driving style.
I should have been in low range and overloaded the drive train.
Heavy duty clutch and a rebuild and it's all good too.

Udates of the latest mods.
I've done the extra riverts to the awning after some broke on the last Finders trip.
There is a good how to on here.
It also has a strip LED light fitted to it I plug into one of the merit plugs when needed.

The rear diff now has a Truetrac mechanical LSD fitted to it, I broke a tooth or 5 in the spiders of the standard diff.

I've also fitted D1 side steps by modifying the mounting system.
This puts the step bellow the sill panel so easier to get in and out of when in ruts etc..

It's had the whiteness of the bonnet dulled down by a friend.
The problem was being white the sun used to glare of it leading to squinting of the eyes and associated fatigue.
My friend is into air brushing so I've got a grey background with Marvin and a few stars on it:)
Pic's will follow when I get time.

I've fitted rear tail lights to where the bumper trims should be, I broke one with the plastic bumper many moons ago.
While there I rewired the lower fog lamps to brake lights.

I've also fitted a 2nd light to the cargo bay running of the 2nd battery for when camping.

The radio has been changed to a Am/FM/USB/Cd/Aux/Dig unit, using an ISO lead it was plug and play.

Last edited:
WOW Kyle a timing belt/chain, that's very very unlucky mate.

Save up fro a front Truetrac, they work in with the traction control and make it like it has lockers.

Baz.

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks for that Kyle.....

So, none of the little electronic gremlins at all ?

How many kms are on yours ?

rob
I've done a silicone modification to the injector harness and have no oil at the ECU.
There is a thread on it in the Electrical section (from memory).
Starter solenoid contacts changed due to leaking Fuel Pressure Regulator(common).
Only time I had the 3 lads visit was a faulty switch in the Wabco unit, easy repair.

195,000Kmon it now.
Most of my time has been in low range near home or on camping trips fully loaded.

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
WOW Kyle a timing belt/chain, that's very very unlucky mate.

Save up fro a front Truetrac, they work in with the traction control and make it like it has lockers.

Baz.
The one that is now in the rear can be retrofitted to the front if I decide to Detroit the rear at any stage:)

If you do go down this path note the swapping the true trac to the front is not a straight swap. You need to pull the true trac apart and swap the gears around. Not that hard and I got the instruction off Discoweb. This is what I had to do to mine.