Land Rover defender vs Ineos Grenadier New 4WDs for Australia

What would you buy - Defender or Grenadier?

• Land Rover Defender

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Ineos Grenadier

Votes: 42 89.4%

• Total voters

G_ute

Is it really that hard to make a 'basic fit-for-purpose' offroader for $50k ?
That is the niche market they are targeting.
Maybe they could have savind some money buy using a different motor/gearbox from Toyota/Cummins/VM Mitori/Isuzu, etc. Hell, even Ford.
Actaully an Isuzu would have been appropraite for an old Defender clone down under.
Personally I am turned off by the BMW, from my experince of thier modern 6 (petrol though)

KISS - transfer case with mechanical activation, same for lockers, manualy windows (but I doubt ,much of a saving) basic seats and trim. Dont even put a radio in it.

Albynsw

Maybe they could have savind some money buy using a different motor/gearbox from Toyota/Cummins/VM Mitori/Isuzu, etc. Hell, even Ford.
Actaully an Isuzu would have been appropraite for an old Defender clone down under.
Personally I am turned off by the BMW, from my experince of thier modern 6 (petrol though)

KISS - transfer case with mechanical activation, same for lockers, manualy windows (but I doubt ,much of a saving) basic seats and trim. Dont even put a radio in it.

It is not going to happen, none of these vehicles will be cheap and I bet you will have no change from 100k with onroad costs with this vehicle one either
The low production numbers as it is a unique small sector in the market along with the compliance requirements of crash testing etc etc will always keep the dollar up on them unfortunately

hulsty

Jimny has been available awhile now, sub 50K.

mikehzz

As much as I like the Jimny, and may even buy one, it won’t tow my camper or take more than me touring on remote tracks
Yeah Roam Overlanding in South Africa loved his but replaced it with a Hilux because it was too small and couldn't carry enough.

Patriot

Administrator
The pricing is looking really interesting.

Surprised to see it sub $100K. The initial talk was that it was going to be a lot more. This is pretty exciting.
Two seat wagon for $84,500 plus on roads.

Keen to see what they are like on the road, but could be the most exciting release of next year!

CTL

Let’s hope they can release next year. Covid has shut a lot of production lines around the world

linuxfan66

you couldnt build that for under 50k unless you got license to manufacture a modified older model using engines and gearboxes that can be obtained cheaply. also mahindra pick up. its the cheap bone basic off roader your visualizing. it was built for india (third world i think) market among other things

boobook

The configuration for Australia is available.

Looks fantastic. Lots of appropriate options.

No doggy feed bowls, dog ramps, or picnic sets in sight.

boobook

@boobook never been a better time to sell the 200 and get in here ;)

LOL you're probably right Alby. It is shaping up nicely as my next 4x4. More than a 300. But my 200 is still like new and has many years in it yet. Being from Melbourne, and working from home, I think I did about 3000kms in the last 12 months. I've only recently added a few nice accessories like a fully redundant 2nd compressor etc so want to get some use out of that stuff.

I'll sit back and wait a few years. But it looks bloody brilliant. I could relive my old series 3 landrover days without the unreliability trauma and oil stained driveway.

Last edited:

boobook

The professional G300 is a fantastic off road vehicle. The things that let it down in my view were a practical speed limit of about 90, way too noisy and way over priced. It makes a 70 look like a fully featured high speed luxury limo on the road. I know you can't have everything but if ineos addresses those issues with a bit more day to day and touring comfort, it is going to hit the mark...for me anyway.

Albynsw

The professional G300 is a fantastic off road vehicle. The things that let it down in my view were a practical speed limit of about 90, way too noisy and way over priced. It makes a 70 look like a fully featured high speed luxury limo on the road. I know you can't have everything but if ineos addresses those issues with a bit more day to day and touring comfort, it is going to hit the mark...for me anyway.
It is also shaping up that the Ineos will provide a much better support network than what Mercedes offer which is an important consideration IMO

G_ute

Maybe the W464 will be quieter with the new motor/gearbox although I did not notice a noise problem when I drove the older V6 one, over 90kmh no sweat. It certainly has a lot more power now.
It will be interesting the see if the ADF eventually get any W464, although they can still get the W461 as per their contract to 2026.

rob_macca67

Well, I was lucky enough to be invited to the Ineos Grenadier Queensland outing and all I can say is "I'm impressed"

Had a good opportunity to talk to the Ineos crew and go for a ride around the 4wd park. I was greatly surprised in the comfy level while driving over some rough terrain and the pickup speed when the driver planted his right foot - very impressive. For me, its what the new Defender should have been but it's probably a good thing that someone other than LR built this...

A couple of things I was (& still are) concerned with it the fuel range and the fitment of LR tanks. They say ARB will develop something but looking at the number of vehicles allotted to Australia in 2022 (only 200>300), I can't see anything being developed in the short term...
The other thing was the rear bash plate protecting the rear East/West Muffler with dual exhausts. To me, this would act as a scoop in Mud/sand. I asked the question to the Ineos crew and they said that hasn't been the case to date. Also, one of them said it would be a simple case of removing the BIG muffler and replace with a smaller one mounted North/South which would leave a big hole to mount either a water or fuel tank...

Anyway, here's a link to some photos I took from the day (hopefully the link works)

Oh, btw: The other thing I forgot to mention is that it is shorter than my Defender in regards to being able to sleep in the back. I'm around 6" in height and when I tried to lie (in a straight line) in the rear I had my feet/toes hanging out the back door... This may be solved by pushing the front seats forward - but I'm not sure...

Ineos Grenadier Qld Day outing Photos

Last edited: