Land Rover defender vs Ineos Grenadier New 4WDs for Australia

What would you buy - Defender or Grenadier?

• Land Rover Defender

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Ineos Grenadier

Votes: 42 89.4%

• Total voters

mikehzz

On trips I have with an LC200 in the group, it normally gets around the 13-14 litres per hundred. Is that common? So 130 litres will equate to 1000kms. If the Ineos gets 9 litres per hundred on a 90 litre tank then the range is the same at 1000kms. Admittedly, the LC200 in our group has a 250 litre tank so craps all over the rest of us. :)

boobook

Surely he has a point? It's not the litres that matter, but the actual range. If you get more range from less litres then you don't have to carry as many jerries either.
Sure. But 90l is not going to get close to being adequate for a lot of people, including me. Even if the economy was outstanding, over sand and on dirt towing, 90 or less is not sufficient.

For someone driving around town or to the high country then it may be enough.

My point was that for a touring vehicle, 90l is not enough unless its economy is as good as a prius.

Ineos is quoting 10.1 - 11.7lph so 8 - 25% worse economy on a 90l tank than a 200 on a 138l tank at a quoted 9.5lph. Of course no car gets their quoted economy.

Last edited:

boobook

On trips I have with an LC200 in the group, it normally gets around the 13-14 litres per hundred. Is that common?
Mine gets 9.5 to 10.5 not towing, and 14 towing 1.4T on country roads. That's about 1300km. But it's not the on-road range that you need to be concerned about with small tanks, It's off-road where there are no service stations.

Towing up sand dunes I get closer to 22 or more. Same for all vehicles in those tough conditions I imagine. Thats when range counts.

If someone gets 13 to 14 lph in a 200 on a highway then there is something wrong, they probably have large tyres roof racks and the whole show,or don't use select mode or all of the above. But then it would be the same for any vehicle.

Last edited:

Mick_Marsh

I'm not surprised to read that you don't understand it TBH Divine. I'm referring to remote trips with no services. It's only a few kms for you to the Armadale or Brighton dealers, so you can get towed half the way. The Big Desert is a nice wilderness park, but not exactly remote, sparse, or even a desert.

:rolleyes:
Obviously Dengali mustn't be remote. I had a 45 litre petrol tank.

Albynsw

The other aspect to fuel range is having the ability to take an unplanned route deviation or your planned fuel stop is out of order or fuel
I carry 240 litres and it gives me peace of mind that I am not always on the hunt for fuel stops
Not so important is ability to fuel up at the cheaper servos

shanegtr

If someone gets 13 to 14 lph in a 200 on a highway then there is something wrong, they probably have large tyres roof racks and the whole show,or don't use select mode or all of the above. But then it would be the same for any vehicle.
My brother in Law's 200 does 19l/100 without towing - but its got everything under the sun hanging off it with larger tyres as well.

boobook

My brother in Law's 200 does 19l/100 without towing - but its got everything under the sun hanging off it with larger tyres as well.

Are they 35" tyres? I'd have that checked out. Though if he also has it chipped, then that explains everything. Dunno about other cars, but the best thing to do with a chip in a 200 is rip it out and throw it in the bin.

I have a roof rack, rear bar, front bar ( smart bar) and winch, dual batteries, sliders , 2 compressors, and snorkel.

I get 9.5 to 10.5lph. When I put my muddies with 33.5" I get about 13lph.

shanegtr

Are they 35" tyres? I'd have that checked out. Though if he also has it chipped, then that explains everything. Dunno about other cars, but the best thing to do with a chip in a 200 is rip it out and throw it in the bin.

I have a roof rack, rear bar, front bar ( smart bar) and winch, dual batteries, sliders , 2 compressors, and snorkel.

I get 9.5 to 10.5lph. When I put my muddies with 33.5" I get about 13lph.
33" MT's and factory engine. But mind you the last time I chatted to him regarding fuel economy he was living in the NT so 130km/h highway speeds and knowing him I'm sure he was still driving 20km/h over the limit :D I think there's a fair bit of driving style consumption going on if you ask me.

boobook

33" MT's and factory engine. But mind you the last time I chatted to him regarding fuel economy he was living in the NT so 130km/h highway speeds and knowing him I'm sure he was still driving 20km/h over the limit :D I think there's a fair bit of driving style consumption going on if you ask me.

That'd probably do it.

LongRoad2Go

I like these guys from Germany, and how they bounce comments off each other ... even if they are Tata ... er ... I mean 'Land Rover' fanboys. ;)

His comment at the end is funny: 'We don't have mud in Germany. If we wanna have mud, we gotta bring our own water and clay.'

The continuing reviews of the Grenadier are slowly proving it isn't the vehicle for my intended use - long range overlanding and 'on the farm'.

All the online test drives I've seen so far are REALLY soft and definitely NOT real world typical examples. Even the one done in Oz was obviously lacking load and heavily supported off camera.

Among the things they need to consider is not having the speedo/tachy, etc in the centre console area, and the use of the ceiling switches for necessary functions when they should really be dedicated for less used operations like spotlights, camp lighting, etc.

phs

Sat in one at the moto GP over the weekend, initial opinion very cool, love the interior. Very agricultural setup with military rocker style switchs

Only a few things that had me
the speedo is to the side not directly in front of you & 90 Lt fuel tank

mikehzz

Sat in one at the moto GP over the weekend, initial opinion very cool, love the interior. Very agricultural setup with military rocker style switchs

Only a few things that had me
the speedo is to the side not directly in front of you & 90 Lt fuel tank
I agree, I sat in one at the 4wd show and liked it more than I thought I would.

Albynsw

I like these guys from Germany, and how they bounce comments off each other ... even if they are Tata ... er ... I mean 'Land Rover' fanboys. ;)

His comment at the end is funny: 'We don't have mud in Germany. If we wanna have mud, we gotta bring our own water and clay.'

The continuing reviews of the Grenadier are slowly proving it isn't the vehicle for my intended use - long range overlanding and 'on the farm'.

All the online test drives I've seen so far are REALLY soft and definitely NOT real world typical examples. Even the one done in Oz was obviously lacking load and heavily supported off camera.

Among the things they need to consider is not having the speedo/tachy, etc in the centre console area, and the use of the ceiling switches for necessary functions when they should really be dedicated for less used operations like spotlights, camp lighting, etc.

I stumbled on that video yesterday and have to say I was surprised at the level of electonics in the vehicle, you can hear warning bells and sounds going constantly
It looked and felt very Landrovery to me which is fine if it all works as designed. I guess i just had a preconceived mindset that it was going to be a more basic vehicle than what it is and more in line with the old Defender or a 70 series.

Albynsw

It is interesting to see where this company will go starting up with an ICE vehicle when the rest of the industry is moving away from them. I assume they have invested a lot of coin into this and it is yet to even start its return on investment stage.
No doubt they would of considered all of this and have a strategy

joshinthecity

The other aspect to fuel range is having the ability to take an unplanned route deviation or your planned fuel stop is out of order or fuel
I carry 240 litres and it gives me peace of mind that I am not always on the hunt for fuel stops
This.
Literally, right this minute, I'm having a 185L (180L usable) Brown Davis tank fitted to my 76 for this reason. + 2 x Jerrys gives me 220L
20221115_162643.jpg

rob_macca67

It is interesting to see where this company will go starting up with an ICE vehicle when the rest of the industry is moving away from them. I assume they have invested a lot of coin into this and it is yet to even start its return on investment stage.
No doubt they would of considered all of this and have a strategy
The owner is heavy into Chemicals, etc & I believe they are looking at the Hydrogen path as batteries are just not going to do the job its intended for(distance-wise)...