Land Rover defender vs Ineos Grenadier New 4WDs for Australia

What would you buy - Defender or Grenadier?

• Land Rover Defender

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Ineos Grenadier

Votes: 42 89.4%

• Total voters

linuxfan66

I'm starting to wonder with all this glorified attention this Grenadier is getting if it's really going to "fit for purpose".
To me its starting to feel like a late night shopping channel selling flash, pretty, eye catching totally un practical product.
its not likely to be worse than a defender all said and done

discomatt

its not likely to be worse than a defender all said and done
now that more details are coming out it is worse than a defender in a few ways, thatbig exhaust lump in the drivers foot well will put off lots of people plus the fuel issue will be a big sales killer

boobook

The footwell issue appears to be a few pseudo professional YouTubers making a fuss out of nothing with armchair reviews to get hits. One doesn't appear to have even been in an Ineos.

Ineos is showing a prototype, and they tell everyone that. That's something that is very different and they openly welcome feedback. They have long said they are aware of quite a few issues, including the rear door, and the footwell.

There also appeared to be loads of legroom for taller drivers however we did note a part of the transmission tunnel intruded into the left of the driver’s footwell making it a bit uncomfortable. Ineos told us this had been highlighted in the previous testing and will be addressed in the final production model.

I do hope they address the tank size, even if it's aftermarket. It would be poor design to release a touring 4wd with only about 90l.

Last edited:

CTL

Except a 79 that has 130 standard but yes everything else is on the small side
Fair enough, I don’t really think of the 79 in the same way as I do of most dual cab utes.
But having said that, I guess a 4.5 litre V8 in a heavier vehicle would be getting similar distances per tank as most dual cabs do with their smaller capacity engines and tanks

boobook

I agree but every dual cab ute on the market has less
CTL, that's probably right, but I think the difference is that a)utes are not marketed as touring vehicles, even though they are frequently modified beyond their capabilities to act as one. and b)There is plenty of space in a ute to put additional long-range tanks. Apparently, that's not the case with the INEOS.

Towing a camper off-road will only yield a range of about 550km. That's nowhere near enough IMHO for remote touring.

Last edited:
Reactions: CTL

rob_macca67

I think the big winner will be when they bring out the longer version DualCab Ute (Tub or cab Chassis). It's 300mm longer and thus hoping that will create more space underneath for those desired LR Tanks everyone's thinking about...

boobook

I think the big winner will be when they bring out the longer version DualCab Ute (Tub or cab Chassis). It's 300mm longer and thus hoping that will create more space underneath for those desired LR Tanks everyone's thinking about...
Yeah, they even plan to put the rear wheels underneath the tray instead of under the front of it like every other dual cab, except the 130 which is similar.

Last edited:

Albynsw

Yeah, they even plan to put the rear wheels underneath the tray instead of under the front of it like every other dual cab, except the 130 which is similar.

Isnt that crazy that they all do the same dumb thing, must be some design constraint they need to work within? I would ideally like my rear axle back 100-150mm for better load distribution

cam04

Isnt that crazy that they all do the same dumb thing, must be some design constraint they need to work within? I would ideally like my rear axle back 100-150mm for better load distribution
The original DMax/Colorado (Rc model) was factory stretched for all cab chassis versions from the factory. Bloody brilliant option that many of us would tick the box on for a few extra $k. That is the only one I know of, I'd also be happy with a bit more length haha. The stretched grenadier ute looks great, I hope they aren't introducing a new dinosaur just in time to become extinct. I am under no illusion that the next ute I buy in 6 odd years time will be a hybrid somethingorother. The gov't will mandate it, new taxes will appear on old tech, and that will be that.

dirvine

I am yet to read what the fuel consumption is of the Ineos. Until we get that in real life situations, then I am unsure why people think a 90ltr tank is too small. Yes for a gas guzzling LC you need 130ltrs, but for some other makes 80 and 85 ltrs gets you just about the same distance. For example on a recent long weekend trip in the big desert, I was using over a 1/3 less fuel than the Prado's doing the same trips each day.

boobook

then I am unsure why people think a 90ltr tank is too small. Yes for a gas guzzling LC you need 130ltrs,
I'm not surprised to read that you don't understand it TBH Divine. I'm referring to remote trips with no services. It's only a few kms for you to the Armadale or Brighton dealers, so you can get towed half the way. The Big Desert is a nice wilderness park, but not exactly remote, sparse, or even a desert.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

mikehzz

I'm not surprised to read that you don't understand it TBH Divine. I'm referring to remote trips with no services. It's only a few kms for you to the Armadale or Brighton dealers, so you can get towed half the way. The Big Desert is a nice wilderness park, but not exactly remote, sparse, or even a desert.

:rolleyes:
Surely he has a point? It's not the litres that matter, but the actual range. If you get more range from less litres then you don't have to carry as many jerries either.