Land Rover defender vs Ineos Grenadier New 4WDs for Australia

What would you buy - Defender or Grenadier?

• Land Rover Defender

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Ineos Grenadier

Votes: 42 89.4%

• Total voters

LongRoad2Go

The Trailmaster version looks to have enough bells & whistles to meets most peoples needs - maybe swap heated seats for chilled seats in Oz.

Disappointed they're not offering a 'coupe utility' yet. A single cab with tray would be more saleable than a ute wagon - especially since the Toyota Troopie is the go-to for many NGO's in the undeveloped world where size matters.

A single cab/tray version would need some redesign though - those rear seat battery compartments are an issue if included in final production.

Anyway, I don't need one for another (3) years = after more development and improvement updates.

Dear Toyota: what's it like to be bitch-slapped after all these years?

discomatt

Finally sat down and priced one up for what I want, just short of 100k , not bad whan compared to other manufacturers prices and it has nearly everything without the need to do extensive mods and upgrades

Rusty Panels

I want one too! They certainly have all the goods! Hope they're as well made and capable when they end up in the real world.
The only thing that's likely to cause major headaches is the stupid hi tech crap. Hope they use the K.I.S.S. system.

dirvine

Discomatt, dont get too excited. The prices they are quoting are not on road and also no LCT. They are trying to get around that but if the ATO does not come to the party the price will climb over $110K. Still cheap when you consider all the "goodies" that come with it once optioned up. Will be interesting if the aftermarket comes up with a decent LR tank, or they can produce parts cheaper than the add ons that Ineos charge. Also if done after sale then no LCT on the extras!

boobook

Confirmed today by the looks of it - no luxury car tax for the Ineos.

So that should put Toyota, Nissan, and LR in a spin.

According to this article, a Patrol and even a GX 200 series are subject to LCT, but a BMW convertable and many Mercedes are not.

Where is the logic? Toyota and LR may have good lawyers, but their tax accountants clearly suck.

Albynsw

According to this article, a Patrol and even a GX 200 series are subject to LCT, but a BMW convertable and many Mercedes are not.

Where is the logic? Toyota and LR may have good lawyers, but their tax accountants clearly suck.

I don’t know if the average buyer cares about the breakdown of the price and just look at the bottom line cost and if they are prepared to put up the cash
It does put Ineos in a good position to hang on to more of the cash from a sale though

cam04

It all reads pretty standard to me. Big inefficient land yachts are being taxed into oblivion. There will be more rather than less of this going forward. People buying fuel efficient imports are being rewarded, and commercial buyers are left out - maybe there should be incentives for commercials to go more fuel efficient also since we burn most of the fuel. Overseas markets all get govt mandated smaller engined ranger/hilux/dmax/landcruiser/prado - Not that anybody wants to hear that around here, myself included.
Rather than put Toyota in a spin, I'd bet Ineos named Toyota as a benchmark since their 76 wagon and troopy have both been through a similar process and are also LCT excempt. A GXL 76 is not exactly geared toward hauling equipment inside as it's primary use. Certainly not what you'd call luxury either apart from the price tag.
The whole LCT thing is a bit of a dinosaur now and they can do 'efficiency' better. Time for a revamp of the whole thing.

boobook

It all reads pretty standard to me. Big inefficient land yachts are being taxed into oblivion. There will be more rather than less of this going forward. People buying fuel efficient imports are being rewarded, and commercial buyers are left out - maybe there should be incentives for commercials to go more fuel efficient also since we burn most of the fuel. Overseas markets all get govt mandated smaller engined ranger/hilux/dmax/landcruiser/prado - Not that anybody wants to hear that around here, myself included.
Rather than put Toyota in a spin, I'd bet Ineos named Toyota as a benchmark since their 76 wagon and troopy have both been through a similar process and are also LCT excempt. A GXL 76 is not exactly geared toward hauling equipment inside as it's primary use. Certainly not what you'd call luxury either apart from the price tag.
The whole LCT thing is a bit of a dinosaur now and they can do 'efficiency' better. Time for a revamp of the whole thing.
Interesting. I was pretty sure the Troopy and Wagons were exempt, but not the 76. Same for the old Defender. I thought the 130 was exempt but not the 110 or 90.

Edit. Apologies, you are correct @cam04 . I just found this.

No wonder Toyota keeps the 70 on life support for so long.

Last edited:

cam04

linuxfan66

im also unclear how this doesnt qualify as a luxury car but hey at least that dinosaur of a useless tax doesnt apply. the whole lct tax needs to be reset, and adapted. if we want to tax luxury good it needs a fairer and more equal one. (ie rolex watches etc)

Albynsw

im also unclear how this doesnt qualify as a luxury car but hey at least that dinosaur of a useless tax doesnt apply. the whole lct tax needs to be reset, and adapted. if we want to tax luxury good it needs a fairer and more equal one. (ie rolex watches etc)

Doesn't the GST pick up on watches etc?

Albynsw

we dont put luxury watch tax on top of GST though. we do on luxury cars. only items i know of we double load tax at purchase is fuel and tabacco

Yes but I thought the idea was if you wanted to pay 4 times as much for an item like say a watch etc you are paying 4 times as much tax as well
Seems fair to me

linuxfan66

Yes but I thought the idea was if you wanted to pay 4 times as much for an item like say a watch etc you are paying 4 times as much tax as well
Seems fair to me
autoexpert went into this, if your gonna tax an item addiitonally for being a luxury item. it should be more fair and equitable than than just cars or dropped altogether.

LongRoad2Go

Seems this video is an entree to further ones.

No idea what weight they're carrying (food, equipment, water - all the typical farming/overlanding weighty stuff) or whether they installed long range tanks somewhere, etc ... suffice to say, probably a huge support team behind the camera. If so, not a reliable test of the vehicle.

Last edited:

mikehzz

They were spinning a few wheels having a bit of trouble on Googs Track which is a pretty easy track really.

callmejoe

I'm starting to wonder with all this glorified attention this Grenadier is getting if it's really going to "fit for purpose".
To me its starting to feel like a late night shopping channel selling flash, pretty, eye catching totally un practical product.