Land Rover 70th Anniversary Cooma NSW

Choook

This probably just applies to the Landy Nuts in SE Qld (or the rest of Qld). Thought I would put this out there as it is not really that far away.

SWMBO and I will be travelling to Cooma for the 70th Anniversary. This event is being held over the Easter weekend and we will be taking a couple of weeks to enjoy a bit of travel before and after. Although we haven't made any firm plans we will most likely leave (northside Brisbane) 24-26 March and take a couple of (few) days and make stops down the New England, maybe even go a bit further west down through Dubbo. Our first goal is Sydney for at least overnight 28th to visit our Daughter.

From there we will depart 29th for Cooma arriving in the afternoon/evening and taking in all things Land Rover (well I will anyway) for the next few days. After the festivities in Cooma (again no firm plans) but was contemplating either the coast via Bombala maybe coming out around Merrimbula and back to Sydney for another quick visit with the offspring and back to Brissie, again not sure which way, coast or bush. Or west perhaps through Wagga Wagga then north-ish from there bypassing Sydney altogether. Will need to be back at work 9th April.

So my question is, I suppose, is anyone else planning on heading that direction that wants to tag on or meet up somewhere. We will be travelling in a D2 TD5 so won't be a rushed trip, tent camping there and back and will rough it in a motel in Cooma.

If anyone has any suggestions of must see location on these routes, by all means post em up, any good camping locations as well will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Choook

Ok we have an itinerary for the trip down.

Sun 25 Mar. Depart and travel via Warwick to Bald Rock Creek camping area in Girraween National Park (need to book though QPWS)
Mon 26 Mar. Sightseeing down the New England Hwy overnighting at Woodridge Recreation and Fossicking Area (free) Uralla
Tues 27 Mar. Continue sightseeing down the New England through Tamworth turning off at Scone through Gundy and Moonan Flat to overnight at Polblue Campground Barrington Tops (free or fee, not sure)
Wed 28 Mar. Continue through Barrington Tops (BT) on to Bucketts Way to Pacific Hwy and south to Sutherland and overnight with Daughter (no you can't stay there, no room).
Thurs 29 Mar. Depart for Cooma via Hume, Federal and Monaro Hwys arriving mid to late afternoon.

There are no real long distances in any one day, the longest is about 400km and that is BT to Sutherland and then to Cooma is about the same. As I said it won't be a rushed trip as SWMBO is not a good long distance passenger, so plenty of stopping and looking around. Me, (ex interstate driver) have no problem covering 1000km a day if needed, but this a holiday as well as "must get to destination".

Still working on the return jouney.

Last edited:

Choook

Well we decided to not make any plans for the return, except for departing Cooma on the Tuesday morning 3 Apr and taking a scenic route to Canberra for the first night and then back to Sutherland for another flying overnight visit with the Daughter. After that it will be "see what happens" back to Qld.

Choook

Scenic drive back to canberra woild be the attached in reverse :), drops you in the brindabella road so flea creek etc bushcamps or you can head up to wee jasper and camp up there for about $10
Was looking at a little further east of here but this looks much more "scenic" thanks very much, appreciate the info and map.

Choook

Just doing a little more research and making sure I have the large detail planned (fine detail can wait) and Polblue is $12 per adult per night and $6 per child per night. But according to the website you cannot book this area, so I'm guessing you just have to contact (or visit) the NPWS office in either Scone or Gloucester before hand or on your way through.

Anyway here is the link I found:
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au...on/campgrounds/polblue-campground-picnic-area

Have also made a bit of a plan for the return up the coast, will be overnighting at Point Plomer and Black Rocks campgrounds just so it is not a rush trip back home. Will need to book site a Black Rocks but Point Plomer is just turn up and hope there is something available. Will be Qld school hols but NSW won't have started yet so hopefully not too busy.

Looking forward to this trip, will try and do some sort of trip report.

mikehzz

We were there last year and at the time didn't know if it was free or not. We tried to find somewhere to pay but there wasn't anywhere. They had the usual little information structures and normally there's fee info and envelopes but they were missing. Perhaps they have now introduced it?

Choook

We were there last year and at the time didn't know if it was free or not. We tried to find somewhere to pay but there wasn't anywhere. They had the usual little information structures and normally there's fee info and envelopes but they were missing. Perhaps they have now introduced it?
Not having a go at you, can completely understand after looking through various pages of NSW NPWS. The Point Plomer page is still showing local alert for a fire in December o_O NSW RFS app not showing any fires within cooee of the place. Nothing happens quickly in government organisations :eek: but the public will always be the ones in the wrong.

Just passing on information someone else may find useful.

mikehzz

No worries, I didn't think you were having a go at me, I was concerned I'd given you false info. There may be 2 areas to camp there. There's an info structure on the main road but the area we camped in was further west. No mention of fees on the boards at the time which was a pleasant surprise for us. Interested to hear if its changed onsite.

mikehzz

If you are staying at Point Plomer, be aware that you have to have a fire pit appliance if you want a fire. They hire half beer keg fire pits at the shop. You aren't allowed to light a fire on the ground. The best way to get there is to drive along the beach from PM but you need a $25 beach permit. The permit allows beach access all they way up to around Nambucca from memory. The run along the beach from Crescent Head to Hat Head then to Smokey Cape at South West Rocks is bloody excellent. Also be aware that a lot of the NPs want $6 a day entry fee on top of camping fees. Pt Plomer will hit you for it. Get a Nsw Country Parks pass for $45 a year and then you dont have to worry.

Choook

If you are staying at Point Plomer, be aware that you have to have a fire pit appliance if you want a fire. They hire half beer keg fire pits at the shop. You aren't allowed to light a fire on the ground. The best way to get there is to drive along the beach from PM but you need a $25 beach permit. The permit allows beach access all they way up to around Nambucca from memory. The run along the beach from Crescent Head to Hat Head then to Smokey Cape at South West Rocks is bloody excellent. Also be aware that a lot of the NPs want $6 a day entry fee on top of camping fees. Pt Plomer will hit you for it. Get a Nsw Country Parks pass for $45 a year and then you dont have to worry.
Will only be there one night so I think we might be able to forego a fire for one night. Have looked at coming in from Port Maquarie cross river on ferry then there is a track to get to campground, so will most likely not worry about the beach permit. Most likely exit out the otherside towards Cresent Head and rejoin highway near Kempsey. Will keep all this information on board for future though, if campground any good it is not too far for a short break. Also had a look at parks passes last night and as SWMBO is on a concession card have applied for an exemption pass so will cover all the parks we pass through over the two weeks. Appreciate the info.

If anyone else is reading this and contemplating a beach run along ten mile beach the NPWS page says that beach access at Black Rocks is closed due to storm damage (this is dated Sep 14 though, last reviewed Aug 16) and the only 4wd access is at Shark Bay. There is also a pedestrian access closed at the campground due to storm damage (alert dated Mar 17, last reviewed Jun 17). If anyone is gunna do the beaches in this area (say between Port Maquarie and South West Rocks) it may pay to check conditions locally before heading out.

mikehzz

The beach access on the map at Hat Head was closed due to storm damage but if you drive through the caravan park there's beach access there.