Lake Eildon

Trucka Chick

Ok...
When to lake Eildon on the weekend...
lovely place, great 4x4ing... but the people in Eildon where straight up a**holes???
Is it because i'm from out of town? is it because i was covered in mud? and looked like a bum?
just wanting to know if ayone else has experienced this or if it is just Eildon that is like this, very disappointed with the people of Eildon, Poor form guys :(

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Try going to Bonnie Doon up the other end. The mud thing may not have helped their opinion of you. They are probably pi$$ed at you cos you can have fun in the dry lake and they can't?

Nick

V8 4runner

some people class the whole shore line around the lake as Eildon... but its not.
so, which part of Eildon were you ?

cheers

Nickj

Bonnie Doon. Near the bridge between Yea/Alexandra Mansfield.

Nick

Knackers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Trucka Chick, have only been to Eildon by boat from Bonnie Doone so never spoke to anyone at Eildon so don't have an opinion. However have stayed at Bonnie Doon also. Can't say I noticed poor form there.

Hi Nickj. Have spent lots of time at Bonnie Doone also. About 20 years ago had a permanent van at the 'Lakeside Resort'. As you head to Mansfield,cross the bridge, turn right at the pub (no stopping), follow the road around for about 1klm and park is on the right. You used to be able to drive boat up to the doors of the pub. But not anymore. Don't have a van up there now, but went up there a couple of times over Christmas/ new year 08/09. Good fun.

Cheers
Knackers

Last edited:

4X4

Ok...
When to lake Eildon on the weekend...
lovely place, great 4x4ing... but the people in Eildon where straight up a**holes???
Is it because i'm from out of town? is it because i was covered in mud? and looked like a bum?
just wanting to know if ayone else has experienced this or if it is just Eildon that is like this, very disappointed with the people of Eildon, Poor form guys :(

I've stayed at Eildon before and didn't find them strange.

Are you talking about going into the shops with muddy boots etc?

Nickj

Hey Knackers

Same. Only we were about, hmmm, 35yrs ago. As a kid, dad would let us drive the boat over to Bonnie Doon shops on the other side of the bridge in the morning to get food. There used to be hire boats at Peppin Point across the lake. Red inboards with 308ci engines! We could buy 5 Gaytimes (icecreams) in the shop at the caravan park for $1.
If you drive down the far end of the road to the deep water ramp, you can access the lake bed there. Not sure how much driving you are allowed to do there but it is strange driving where you used to ski and fish!.

Nick

Adventure guy

Hey Knackers

Same. Only we were about, hmmm, 35yrs ago. As a kid, dad would let us drive the boat over to Bonnie Doon shops on the other side of the bridge in the morning to get food. There used to be hire boats at Peppin Point across the lake. Red inboards with 308ci engines! We could buy 5 Gaytimes (icecreams) in the shop at the caravan park for $1.
If you drive down the far end of the road to the deep water ramp, you can access the lake bed there. Not sure how much driving you are allowed to do there but it is strange driving where you used to ski and fish!.

Nick

Yeah, we used to jet ski there when we where kids, now the cement boat ramp is long high and dry.

Different world now.

Knackers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Nickj & Adventure Guy.

I know Peppin Point, but don't remember the red hire boats. Weren't into Gaytimes for $1, was more interested in longnecks. Christmas just gone you could put the boats in further down the back tracks. Almost had to go down to Chinamans Hill though. No cement ramp down there. Heaps of trees and submerged stumps. Lots of dirt bikes in the area.