Haha no doubt about the challenges. I'd say an iron oxide medal at best.We all love tinkering with our 4Wd's but your a Gold medal winner - good on you, you've certainly had some challenges.
You mean a bracket for the front diff, right? From what I recall the starter is on the other side and that's why the bellhousing needs clearancing. I bet it really went!I use to have a Lada and loved it, went to a number of places some of the big brand 4wd's couldn't get too. Devils gate etc. One of the funniest things we did was fit a Fiat twin cam engine in, bolted straight in with just a easy milling (by hand) of the top of the gearbox, and a custom made bracket to hold the transfer box onto the engine, and a slight redo of the exhaust. Had so much power...
You mean a bracket for the front diff, right? From what I recall the starter is on the other side and that's why the bellhousing needs clearancing. I bet it really went!
I'd like to put a Pugeot diesel in to mine. That way i wouldn't need a certificate either because it was an optional motor. They ran it with the same gearing too so it must have been even slower but I reckon it would have climbed a wall!
My Niva still amazes me. Even when it has bottomed out in deep wheel ruts it still just drags itself over the ground like it's nothing.
I don't have the time to post it but I changed the ball joint yesterday. took a short video clip too. I'm really surprised the suspension didn't fall apart! It was a dead easy job at least, unless you count the hours of pounding with a couple of hammers to get the taper to pop. Had to revisit it today because I didn't seal the base of the ball joint boot. D'oh!
The steering isn't quite as heavy or erratic now. it's still a pig to turn right and the steering feels notchy, but the steering box is on my short list anyway. It also still pulls to the left but not quite as severely. It's weird. On dirt or other low traction surfaces it doesn't pull. I can't figure it. Maybe the castor is off on one wheel or something.
While I was at it I tried the zook wheel on again now the wheel sits in the right place. The clearance was marginally better. Measured the tread to guard offset. About 3cm. I think the flares I was looking at on LadaPower are 10cm ones so that would cover me if I got a set of 225s. Trouble is the flares are designed to go down to the arch and come across so there's no lip. Ie a solid triangle cross section. I was going to do trim the front and rear of the guards a little. The flares might negate the use of trimming them because they would be sitting where the arches were unless I can persuade them to open up a couple of cm at the back and front. Hmm. The troubles of not being able to get quite the right sized tyres. At least it won't be going rock crawling. These are intended for sand, clay, mud, gravel etc. Pretty much anything off the main road here.