Kurrajong Discovery Trail difficulty level

philipk

We don't have major ground clearance under our MB ML350 (209mm) but found the Blackfellows Hand track in Blue Mountains very easy with no bumps or scrapes to the underside and no issues with traction with M+S tyres. We also found a friend's Outlander completing that trail without any hiccups. Does anyone know if the Kurrajong Discovery trail (through Burralow) and up through Mountain Lagoon Road (through Wheeny Creek) would be similar difficulty level to Blackfellows or if much greater 4WD capability is required? Hope this site caters to those of us without great ground clearance that still want to discover the neat places.

Grumpy

Have a look in the track section and when in doubt ask the forum members, there's a fair chance someone would have driven the track u might want to do, CHEERS

Walkabout

Your ML should do Mountain Lagoon road pretty easily, some sections were a bit washed out last I was up there but thats just a little challenge. Nice pub/wood fire pizza place a few K's west on the bells line. Coopers and a nice Pizza is a good way to finish the run;)

philipk

Thanks for the tips Grumpy and Walkabout; though the last posting has now made me hungry - gotta go for some grub now...

philipk

Kurrajong Discovery trail a success

We did the trail yesterday in our ML350 and it went well. Great scenery, weather, and the sound of the Bellbirds nice. As easy as Blackfellows Hand Track but wheel placement more important for lower ground clearance 4WDs especially if you have lower hanging mudflaps like ours. Burralow Creek trail (southern side of Bells Line of Road) recently graded (we saw Kia's and Camry's down there) and the Mountain Lagoon fire trail on the northern side of Bells Line of Road (fairly new Road Closed sign 4WDs only) has quite a few ruts from water run-off especially on the downhill slope. Will attempt to post a few pictures. At the current state of the fire trail, I'd say a CRV would come out with a few minor underbody scrapes in two or three spots. Our ML only scraped its front mudflaps a few times.:)

jazzajess

We did the trail yesterday in our ML350 and it went well. Great scenery, weather, and the sound of the Bellbirds nice. As easy as Blackfellows Hand Track but wheel placement more important for lower ground clearance 4WDs especially if you have lower hanging mudflaps like ours. Burralow Creek trail (southern side of Bells Line of Road) recently graded (we saw Kia's and Camry's down there) and the Mountain Lagoon fire trail on the northern side of Bells Line of Road (fairly new Road Closed sign 4WDs only) has quite a few ruts from water run-off especially on the downhill slope. Will attempt to post a few pictures. At the current state of the fire trail, I'd say a CRV would come out with a few minor underbody scrapes in two or three spots. Our ML only scraped its front mudflaps a few times.:)

mountain lagoon did yesterday nice track shame we did not see you there.

philipk

Pity... we didn't see many other 4x4s Jazzajess. By the time we were on Mountain Lagoon fire trail around midday, we only saw two trail bikes heading opposite towards Bilpin. In future we will probably buy a UHF so we can call on those in the local area.

cloughcarib

Hi, philipk.

We were out with jazzajess and hit Mountain Lagoon about 5ish and enjoyed it.

Keep an eye on the trips thread.

We went out with a few forum members who organised a great day out from Sydney.

We're certainly going on the next one.

If nothing else, post when your heading out and there may be a few others wanting to come along.

philipk

I've now submitted updates in the Tracks page for both Burralow and Mountain Lagoon trails (added picture for Mountain Lagoon) that make up the Kurrajong Discovery Trail.

Last edited: