Kooljaman Closure, Cape Leveque

stevemc181

Looks like Kooljaman resort at Cape Leveque is closing indefinitely! Such a shame, this place was an awesome spot to spend a few days.
Our last visit there was in May this year and I remember saying to the missus how dilapted the infrastructure had become since a previous visit some years earlier and it was obvious bugger all was being spent on upkeep.
Hopefully they can secure the required funding they apparently need and get it up and running again sometime in the near future.
I was thinking of going again next year but looks like that’s off the cards for now.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
That's bad news, top location, fantastic Pizzas and a hearty breakfast was consumed there as well as a few ales and a couple of bottles of Red.

I wonder if they will still allow camping there or gate it off, there was a line saying "tours and activities" would be managed from the roadhouse.

cheers

stevemc181

I wonder if they will still allow camping there or gate it off, there was a line saying "tours and activities" would be managed from the roadhouse.
The roadhouse is about 15km’s away. From what I can find online Kooljaman will be closed to everything for the foreseeable future. It’s a pity, the sunsets on the Western Beach against the Red Pindan cliffs are awesome!
The place looked like none of the funds from camping fees etc had ever been put back into it. It’s a developers goldmine waiting to happen now the road is almost fully sealed apart from the last few km’s into Kooljaman. Will probably cater to a different crowd in the future :(

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
The roadhouse is about 15km’s away. From what I can find online Kooljaman will be closed to everything for the foreseeable future. It’s a pity, the sunsets on the Western Beach against the Red Pindan cliffs are awesome!
The place looked like none of the funds from camping fees etc had ever been put back into it. It’s a developers goldmine waiting to happen now the road is almost fully sealed apart from the last few km’s into Kooljaman. Will probably cater to a different crowd in the future :(

I fear it will go the way of Pajinka at the tip of Cape York, I can see it being ransacked and smashed to bits

Sad times

LurchWA

Was there last year and agree that generated funds appear to have been syphoned off and not well spent in the required areas.. Word locally was that the locals wanted a sealed road and had no intention of keeping it opened after the road was completed. Hoping that this isn't the case and perhaps they are following the lead of the Cape York mob who shut down access subject to an appeal for more funding.

CTL

Was there last year and agree that generated funds appear to have been syphoned off and not well spent in the required areas.. Word locally was that the locals wanted a sealed road and had no intention of keeping it opened after the road was completed. Hoping that this isn't the case and perhaps they are following the lead of the Cape York mob who shut down access subject to an appeal for more funding.
No access was shut down. They said it “may” be closed if tourists continued to disrespect the Tip by $hitting all over it. Portaloos were installed as a temporary measure this year. They are seeking funding to build a permanent toilet block.

Komang

It’s closed from November 1st, you might need to make other plans for camping?
Not for camp just for a drive with kids and grands, so the knows lots things they miss out. Wont drive to the beach almost bog there one with strong wind and shifting sand

LurchWA

No access was shut down. They said it “may” be closed if tourists continued to disrespect the Tip by $hitting all over it. Portaloos were installed as a temporary measure this year. They are seeking funding to build a permanent toilet block.
My mistake. Your right, there were 2 porta loos there in June and an additional charge per vehicle was added at the Jardine ferry. Think it was 10 bucks or so, given the amount of people up there when we were there they could probably do it pretty easy without the funding

Reactions: CTL