Change background image

Knocker Track Vic.

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by BIGCOL, Dec 23, 2017.

1. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Has anyone driven the Knocker Track near Omeo Vic? It leaves the Omeo Highway bypassing Anglers Rest and comes out not far from the Hinnomungie Bridge on the Mitta Mitta River. I believe it's steep but know little else about it, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Col.

2. dgm

dgm New Member

I will try that again. You could do it in a normal car. That was a couple of yrs ago though. Even though at the time I was in a 4wd.

Duncan

BIGCOL likes this.
  3. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Duncan, comments such as yours help fill in the pieces of info I gather before a trip.

Regards Colin.

4. fuzzychops

fuzzychops Active Member

It was a bit dusty last time we drove it with a fair bit of traffic from log trucks but an easy drive watch for bulldust holes .

5. ipch

ipch Member

Up there recently and its an easy drive..

6. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

I did this track about a week ago, the western end (high section) has a bit of logging activity and although narrow in places is ok. From there it drops nearly 900 metres, again narrow in places but in good condition with a bit of recent roadworks on some of the corners. We towed a 2.2 tonne off road van along it with no troubles. Although all brakes were a bit on the pong when we got to the bottom end!

Col.

Bomber2012 likes this.
  7. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Can you remember the logging channel.....I usually find if you chat to them they can be very helpful on where they are and also finding a good spot so they can move over and let you through both ways... Don't talk and they'll take up most the road, won't move over and you'll find yourself swerving for dear life over the edge...:eek::eek:

This is only my experience...

8. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

Some logging areas let you know what channel to be on, some of them were channel 1. A year or so ago I was towing in an area where log trucks were, I was on their channel monitoring activity as I towed up the mountain. Someone must have spotted me as over their radios I heard, "some idiot is towing a van up the track" a reply came through "I hope he knows how to back it"
    I came on line saying "this is the idiot, I'm on line so to not cause any trouble, yes I can back it on a sixpence, I'll let you know where I am."
    Well they couldn't be more helpful knowing I was doing everything right and trying to work with them.
    Other areas you take pot luck which can be a bit hairy at times.

Col.

Swaggie likes this.