Kings gear

maddon

I purchased two sets of supacentre led camp lights over a period and the older of the two has several blown bulbs/leds and the later one has failed to one of the four bar sets , are they flooding the market with cheap Chinese products or is it just bad luck and of course they are conveniently out of warranty , is it just coincidence or are these products unfit for purpose , are the other sellers selling the same stuff , I don't know - they have been handy little lights but its a bit disappointing

Bomber2012

I’ve had a stedi light bar for 5-6 years now and no issues and they perform like new , as mentioned price is a good indication of quality. Performance and longevity have never been something you think of when discussing Kings gear .

Colly18

The problem is (it seems) nearly everyone is selling 'cheap Chinese products'. I actually don't have a problem with the quality of Chinese products, as I figure they (like everyone else in the world) produce items varying from poor to great quality. Over time I've found It always pays to do your research with consumer reviews and sellers backing up products with a good warranty. Yes, i.m.o. many products are designed with redundancy in mind (make it last as long as the warranty). We are in a consumerist world after all. The old days of products designed to last a lifetime (that is our lifetime, not what the manufacturer determines as a 'lifetime') are generally long gone. Even paying big dollars doesn't often work in terms of getting a product that will last 'a lifetime'.
I do have some reluctance to buy Chinese products these days, but often there is little other option. I'll pay a premium for an Aussie or alternative product, providing it isn't too expensive in comparison.
Have you contacted 4WD Supacentre to express your concerns? I have done so with other suppliers/sellers in the past and have been given replacement items as a good will gesture by the seller. A much better option for them, than bad publicity.

John U

are they flooding the market with cheap Chinese products
Think about what it would cost to make these things in Australia using staff with the same rights and pay grade as the average Australian. I reckon you'll find your answer.
Not saying that everything that comes out of China is rubbish, just that if a worker is going to be exploited to make something cheaply that there are certain places company's go to make this gear. Pretty sure my Bushranger spotties come out of China. They are top notch (so far during months of lock down and going nowhere).

LurchWA

Have some of their canvas bags as an alternative to Drifta, was easier and cheaper to buy from the local store, nothing fancy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rusty Panels

I totally agree with the previous posts. If it claims to be Australian made there's a good possibility that it's assembled here with Chinese made components. The cold hard fact of the matter is that we can't compete with the labour costs. The quality of the Chinese product is getting better.
Take a look at the back of your beaut big flatscreen TV a reputable Japanese brand right? world renowned for their excellent products, then take a closer look at the tag and you see it's made in PRC (Peoples Republic of China). Even the stuff we used to avoid that came from Korea is now being made in China.
But don't worry one day when they have bought all our land and businesses we will end up working for them so then we can then say it's Australian made.

Albynsw

The Chinese make what the buyers want. I have been to the trade shows in China to discuss manufacturing machinery and they will do whatever you want quality wise but it comes at different pricepoints. They discuss whether you want bearings and what quality bearing you want and will offer up cheap to high quality options or if you just want bushes etc etc
The buyers tell them the pricepoint they are will to pay and they supply a product within that budget so it is really us to blame with our choices ultimately

Skurfer

The Chinese make what the buyers want. I have been to the trade shows in China to discuss manufacturing machinery and they will do whatever you want quality wise but it comes at different pricepoints. They discuss whether you want bearings and what quality bearing you want and will offer up cheap to high quality options or if you just want bushes etc etc
The buyers tell them the pricepoint they are will to pay and they supply a product within that budget so it is really us to blame with our choices ultimately
This is so true. So many people look at different products, see that they look similar and say well they all come out of the same factory so I'll just buy the cheapest one, it fails then believe that they all must be crap. There is a reason why it's a lot cheaper as it's full of cheap parts and thin wiring and manufactured with nearly zero quality assurance on any of the parts or the final product.
You get what you pay for and cheap man buys twice are two sayings to nearly live by but especially true when it comes to anything electrical.

Agree with this also. I have had this same conversation, also at trade-shows (Germany). Same with Indian manufacturing. (in my case, heavy steel industrial equipment) They can (and will) offer a quality level that is absolutely world-class. Without a doubt. But it comes at a cost that the potential purchaser is unlikely to want to absorb.

cam04

I’ve got a kings winch off my last Ute ready to go in the new one if I ever get around to buying a bar, I have the 160w semi flexible solar panel, I have the 12v distribution board and a roll up led light.
For what I paid for each item I cannot fault them and will return for more.
A set of clear top canvas bags will be next I’m guessing.

CTL

A well known Aussie 4WD parts company executive told me about their first foray into the Indian manufacturing scene. They sent a bearing out of an older Cruiser over to India to see what this particular factory could produce. Came back, excellently made, great quality, perfect in every detail, right down to the wear groves :D Next time they sent a new bearing to copy

Lost1?

A well known Aussie 4WD parts company executive told me about their first foray into the Indian manufacturing scene. They sent a bearing out of an older Cruiser over to India to see what this particular factory could produce. Came back, excellently made, great quality, perfect in every detail, right down to the wear groves :D Next time they sent a new bearing to copy

Yep, sometimes you need to be clear about the outcome you are seeking.

Reactions: CTL

discomatt

The age old saying has never been truer " the poor man pays twice " it could also be changed to "the tight ass pays twice"

LongRoad2Go

I purchased two sets of supacentre led camp lights over a period and the older of the two has several blown bulbs/leds and the later one has failed to one of the four bar sets , are they flooding the market with cheap Chinese products or is it just bad luck and of course they are conveniently out of warranty , is it just coincidence or are these products unfit for purpose , are the other sellers selling the same stuff , I don't know - they have been handy little lights but its a bit disappointing

Also be mindful that under Australian Consumer Law, items must be fit for purpose and warranty timeframes often mean little if items fail before their 'reasonable' life expectancy.

Suggest reading the following website:

So, if the lights failed within what could be considered normal use and timeframes, then it's worth citing the Consumer Rights to Kings - I'm sure they will love that = someone citing a real Law. They may actually come to some type of agreement.

Lost1?

I have one of their sleeping bags. It is warm and the zipper works well. But if I were buying a light bar like others have said I would pay a bit more and buy from Stedi. Their winches and awnings seem to be good for the price too. Some times it is a bit of trial and error testing.

Chatty

As others have said - Kings are hit and miss. Their 12V distribution panel has proved to be well made and hasn't given me issues. The little wood stove is awesome for something that cost me $20 (with a discount) - no, it won't compete with (say) an OzPig, but then it was less than one tenth the price.

I bought their fridge slide knowing full well that it was too good to be true at that price and I was proved correct. The slides (runners) packed it a few days into the last trip. So I've bought a new pair of 227kg slides to mount to the base and tray - I'm happy to just keep the base and tray for the price I paid, and still wind up with an awesome slide for about 60% of an equivalent one.