Kings Battery and Fridge

Triton14

What solar is best, blanket or one fixed to the roof and what min size?.
Use the search tab & look around this forum, you will get a lot of different answers & opinions.

As I have mentioned before Its an unregulated industry so the figures that almost all brands put out is questionable!

Triton14

no worries mate Great idea to mess around in the app

Cheers
To be honest I still haven't even fully tested my new set up.
Everytime I organized a trip over the last 2 years we either went into lockdown or the borders closed :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Have a trip planned for April so fingers crossed on this one

Swaggie

To be honest I still haven't even fully tested my new set up.
Everytime I organized a trip over the last 2 years we either went into lockdown or the borders closed :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Have a trip planned for April so fingers crossed on this one

Why can’t you test it at home for a few days. Run the fridge constantly…
Best to sort out any bugs there…

If you have issues connecting the unit to Bluetooth I use a sequence otherwise it won’t connect…

Swaggie

So in simple language are you connecting the fridge (what capacity & brand) direct to a lithium battery with no solar panels for charging ?. What solar is best, blanket or one fixed to the roof and what min size?.

There are so many variables to your question.

Is it a stand alone battery, if so if your sucking out power you need to replace it at some stage. Although lithiums can handle going well below 50%. Depends how thirsty your fridge is and what setting you have it at….

I’d buy a Korr 200 watt blanket (you can buy cheaper but these are quality, same with Companion etc)…Don’t forget if you have a cloudy day your amps gathered will be at least halved.
I highly suggest a Victron Bluetooth mppt controller to go with the blanket.
20-30 amps will be fine.

If you want the battery charging while driving you’ll have to hook up a line and a controller.

I’m just throwing suggestions about based on little info you’ve given

Cheers

reel

There are so many variables to your question.

Is it a stand alone battery, if so if your sucking out power you need to replace it at some stage. Although lithiums can handle going well below 50%. Depends how thirsty your fridge is and what setting you have it at….

I’d buy a Korr 200 watt blanket (you can buy cheaper but these are quality, same with Companion etc)…Don’t forget if you have a cloudy day your amps gathered will be at least halved.
I highly suggest a Victron Bluetooth mppt controller to go with the blanket.
20-30 amps will be fine.

If you want the battery charging while driving you’ll have to hook up a line and a controller.

I’m just throwing suggestions about based on little info you’ve given

Cheers
Thanks Swaggie,

I was thinking of buying either a kings agm or a lithium plus a kings battery box. Hooking the battery box directly up to the fridge and then using solar (blanket or fixed solar panel to roof racks) to charge it whilst stopped at camp. My question, is this enough fo keep a 40-50 litre fridge cold, or do I need to spend more and get a full dual battery setup done we will be be towing an austrack hybrid x13 caravan which will have a 95litre brass monkey fridge freezer installed in it. Tow vehicle is a Mitsubishi Pajero Sport.
Any advise for a novice like me would be gratefully accepted thankyou.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks Swaggie,

I was thinking of buying either a kings agm or a lithium plus a kings battery box. Hooking the battery box directly up to the fridge and then using solar (blanket or fixed solar panel to roof racks) to charge it whilst stopped at camp. My question, is this enough fo keep a 40-50 litre fridge cold, or do I need to spend more and get a full dual battery setup done we will be be towing an austrack hybrid x13 caravan which will have a 95litre brass monkey fridge freezer installed in it. Tow vehicle is a Mitsubishi Pajero Sport.
Any advise for a novice like me would be gratefully accepted thankyou.
Hi Reel,
I have used a Waeco 50L fridge for many years whilst 4wding, a lot in the hotter zones such as deserts, northern Australia etc so have an appreciation for keeping food & drinks frozen or cold, on bigger trips I also use a 35L Waeco just for the drinks and reverse this when the freezer foods are depleted to minimise the energy required to keep stuff frozen.

I haven't had anything to do with Brass Monkey Fridges but have heard that they work well when flat, not so on an incline, a colleague of mine has a small Brass Monkey fridge in his van for keeping drinks cool during work.

Food is a necessity so I do not compromise when it comes to anything to do with fridges / freezers and the power supply.

Can I suggest looking at the following - it is on special at the moment but is all top quality.

Battery Box

Personally, I wouldn't have a fixed Solar Panel as you then have to keep your 4wd in the sun to get the benefit of it, I use a 200W Ridge Ryder solar blanket and it keeps up the charge on my 120A AGM through a CTek DC-DC with MPPT Input so charges when driving but also charges when I connect the Solar Blanket which I have a 10M Anderson Plug extension lead so it can be placed in full sun whilst the 4wd is parked in the shade.

Tip: Put the warm cans of drink in your fridge just prior to driving for the day then your alternator is doing the bulk of the work.

Triton14

Why can’t you test it at home for a few days. Run the fridge constantly…
Best to sort out any bugs there…

If you have issues connecting the unit to Bluetooth I use a sequence otherwise it won’t connect…
Yeh I have taken it away for a weekend but I didnt even need to charge the aux with the solar.

Fridge ran really efficiently, think I remember posting about it somewhere here.

Edit-found it

A week away in the bush will be a good test :)