Change background image

Kings 120W solar blanket. Any feedback?

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Marck, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Marck

Marck Well-Known Member

I have looked high and low and these guys are by far the best deal out there for a solar blanket. Has anyone actually got one that can offer any feed back ?

Thanks
    M

2. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Following with interest:).

3. vision247

vision247 New Member

I’ve owned one for a little over 6 months. Only been used on 3 or 4 occasions but I’ve had no troubles at all. Puts out 4-5 amps in decent Queensland sun. Shade affects the output drastically, but all solar panels are like that. The quality of the fabric and stitching is a little mediocre... it’s not like it’s falling apart or anything, I’ve just noticed the odd loose thread or two. Obviously being a cheap product, I am very gentle with it, but I’m expecting it to last for years and years. My 15kg toddler has walked over it a couple of times arghh!!! But no damage done.

The regulator is basic but seems to do its job very well.

If you have any specific questions, I’m happy to help.

80lover96gxl and barcher like this.
  4. Marck

Marck Well-Known Member

Ok so it looks like it performs like an old 80w BP solar panel I have. That puts out just under 4.5 amps. But I am happy with that performance for the price. I might bite the bullet and give one a shot. I won’t be using the supplied regulator so I could pick up a little performance there.

Thanks for the info.
    M

vision247 likes this.
  5. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

How much are they? I need another panel and priced some redark blankets:eek:
    After I fell off my chair I picked myself up off the floor, dusted myself off and thought BUGGER THAT

callmejoe, Swaggie and 80lover96gxl like this.
  6. barcher

barcher Well-Known Member

7. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Swaggie likes this.
  8. Marck

Marck Well-Known Member

On eBay and signing up to that ebay plus trial I paid $269 delivered. It was going to be about $20 more to buy from the website but they where throwing in a led strip light with it. But I have plenty of lights . Also this way if they screw me around with delivery or whatever I can raise the dispute with ebay and get my money back.

When it turns up I will give it a test and report back.

9. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Aren't we supposed to be putting crap on 4wd Super Centre by now?

10. Marck

Marck Well-Known Member

I am usually jumping on the bandwagon but being a tight a$$is more important right now.

11. Choook

Choook Well-Known Member

Why are these things so bloody expensive? I guess it will be like all new tech, prices will start to come down when everyone has one (like colour tvs did) (yes I remember the start of colour tv in Australia, stop laughing) once they are not selling well anymore prices will fall.

12. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

barcher likes this.
  13. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

80lover96gxl and barcher like this.
  14. Marck

Marck Well-Known Member

So far so good. They shipped it in 2 days and it was waiting for mr when i got home from a trip. The build quality looks to be ok. I need to duscharge my batteries a bit to see how it performs

80lover96gxl and richardlnsw like this.
  15. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

I have this one (Love it - not saying I wouldn't have bought the Kings).
    Where the wire comes out of the bag in the SCA & probably the Kings, is easily broken in my opinion, so I ran the cable up the side of the bag on the way out & have two cable ties along the edge to lock the cable.

Mr Rum and vision247 like this.
  16. Marck

Marck Well-Known Member

So after a bit of testing I can only seem to get 4.5 amps out of it. I was expecting more. Max output is quoted at around 7 amps. I gave them a call and they said they will replace it but I don’t have time before I leave for a trip so I will have to make do for now and replace it when I get home. As it is it has the same output as my 80w so I am no worse of but have the ability to pack it away now and free up roof space.