Kingoonya to Gawler Ranges planning

Gidgee

I've read a few trip reports regards this area, thanks Bigcol especially, but after some recent road condition information and an idea on reasonable time frames. i.e would Kingoonya to say My Ive station be reasonable in full day with a few stops on the way? The other option is Waltumba, a bit closer. Or, I don't suppose Mt. Everard Station offers camping facilities? We'd like to spend most of a day within Gawler Ranges Nat Park I think, camping somewhere nearish Kolay Miraca Falls for some sunset photography.

Planning to head to directly then back to Adelaide via Wudinna or Iron Knob.

Very open to all suggestions in this area, but expecting to only have 2-3 nights after Kingoonya.

dirvine

There are also some dedicated camp stops with limited facilities. The station is rentable from the department. When I was there last year, I cannot remember nay facilities at the homestead other than for people who would stay there.

Buxter

Looks like the Inside track could be the Go !

Take a couple of days, and enjoy the drive

Gidgee

Looks like the Inside track could be the Go !

Take a couple of days, and enjoy the drive
Sorry, not sure what you mean by inside track. We will have at least 2 full days and nights Kingoonya to Gawler Ranges, I'm sure we could spend longer but some have to work and the date is fixed for Kingoonya.

Gidgee

Thanks Buxter, in my mind that inside track was pretty much the only option ;)

Interesting that google maps gives it to you as an option, it doesn't even show it for me, so I was working off the Hema maps on Ozi.

Buxter

Yes
Hema Maps off Ozi is a good setup.

I have Ozi for 8-10 years now, on my "In-dash GPS, my Samsung Tablet, and My Motorola G5S mobile.
Definitely won't get lost out there.

80lover96gxl

The inside track is a decent drive. There is a good campsite on the right hand side south bound, look for the old tanks its around there.
Also be weary of the flood gully's after mt Ive station, hitting them with abit of pace can be exciting, but also costly if you mess it up.

ipch

Kingoonya is a great place to stay but to make it to Mt,ive in my mind is a long day.. Googs track can be either easy or hard , depending on time of year, and I found it difficult after a night of high wind that built up soft sand on top of the dunes. The northern section before Googs Lake has the highest dunes and from there south you can make good time. Definitely worth a night camping at the lake though, other than that, plenty of camping along the track and wood easy to find.
Ian.

Greybearded 1

Don't for get to Book campsites in Gawler Ranges and Googs before you go, or on the road if you have mobile signal.
It would be worth while sticking your nose in at Lake Gairdner where the speed freaks have just been racing along the salt flats.
It looked amazing on TV.
You may get Telstra signal at the top of Googs track where you can call the Kingoonya Pub and order a meal at the bar !!

80lover96gxl

It was easy to do in a few hours Luke even with the lead car hitting the sides of the track. She was pretty wet but lots of fun hey @80lover96gxl
I was just testing the firmness of those track edges, the car just slipping into those sides was actually intentional .
Was rather moist and great fun indeed.