karamba

marty e

am crook mate this took 5 weeks to i am still geting over the trip cobbold gorge is a must see i would go back again been home now for week and half

4Bee4

This is a brilliant trip report, Marty. Your pics and story makes us feel that we are right there with you.

I reckon you could get this trip made into one of those "coffee table books" ... what a conversation piece!!!!!

the next time you go ... I wanna tag along ... pwitty pweeze :D:D

marty e

not bad i am glad i went had to get promission off my doctor to go
and i feel i could go again i could get use to driving around this country of ours i wont to see as much as i can

marty e

some more picks of the gorge

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

these are the boats we were in

IMG_3089.jpg

marty e

ok we left cobbold gorge let down the tyres this time for the 100km back to georgetown was a lot better to drive on i dont no why i did not do that on the way in all the gas burners fell off all the plates went every where we packed them away better on the way out.on to mt surprise for some lunch went to the pub but the owner said they dont do food today i said you only sell alcohol she said no we only serve piss had a bit of a laugh then told us to go up the road to a cafe all was shut went around the back and yelled out, this bloke came out i said gday mate any chance of geting some food yer mate no prob come in well all i can say he made us one of the best handburger i have ever had and the coffey was good to,he made himself a coffey as well sat down and told us about the town top bloke.we spent about 1hr there time to go to undara lava tubes got there and set up camp
IMG_3108.jpg

so we went for a walk to have a look around

IMG_3109.jpg

they have old railway carriages every were you can say in them have diner in them the bar is even in one.The railway carriages are $150 per night then they have swages tent villlage $40 per night,caravan park $15 per person for a powered site,and what we stayed in $10 per person non powered.we booked a tour call the active explorer tour $46 per person takes 2hr to complete

marty e

ok we spent another wonderfull night looking up at the stars the next day we were off on the tour of the lava tubes

IMG_3139.jpg

this was the entry point for the first one

IMG_3111.jpg

not bad looking tube still full of water from the floods about wast deep

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

this one was called the achway

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

this was number 3 on the list
IMG_3141.jpg

this one was looking back at the entry so you do walk down them a fair way

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

4Bee4

What an interesting trip you had!!!!! Your pics are really really good.

What is on the ground in front of the walkway in the last 3 pics? Is that dirt and crud from the flooding ... or is it the solidified lava from when it once flowed?

4Bee4

I like that was half filled with water ... the reflections on the water make the tube look completely round.

marty e

after we spent 2 days at undara we headed for the east coast stoped in at millstream falls to have a look
IMG_3176.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

marty e

sory for the delay been sick after we left millstream falls we head towards innisfail to stay and see paronella park on the way we took the road to millaa millaa then back on the high way to innisfail stoped and had a look at this wind farm see it before back in 2009

IMG_3177.jpg

and on the way stoped for a coffey and what a view

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

teza h

Great read and pics there marty,you must have had a top trip up that way,so much to see n do.:)
One day I'm going!;)
Cheers Teza.

marty e

ok on to innisfail then to south johnstone were paronella park got there payed our money $36.00 each and you can use it for 2 years which is good value now there are 2 tours you can do about 45min each one at night and a day time one now paronella park was voted the number 1 must see in racq top 150 places to see in queensland and i must say i will go back.
IMG_3340.jpg

now i am quoteing this from a book,jose paronella's dream was to build a castle he chose a special part of australia and created paronella park.on 13 acres beside mena creek falls he built his castle,picnic areas at the lakeside,tennis courts,tunnels and bridges,and wrapped it all up in an amazing range of 7000 tropical plants and trees.

he arrived in nearby innisfail in 1913 haveing sailed from spain jose work hard for 11 years creating his wealth by buying and inproving and selling cane farms.He found his dream at south johnston on 5 hectares.the first job was to build the grand staircase so he could shift building materials between the lower and upper level.here he had their cottage built of stone.
IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3310.jpg

and buy the way this was all built by hand

IMG_3242.jpg

croozza

Good to see the rain forest recovering from the cyclone last year, just about every tree was knocked down.

marty e

Good to see the rain forest recovering from the cyclone last year, just about every tree was knocked down.

they spent weeks cleaning the falling trees up in the park.i do have some good pic of the rainforest around tully and cardwell was blow away

marty e

ok this was a bit of a love story jose paronella was to marry this lady matilda but after being away for 8 years no contack what so ever matilda marry anther man.So when jose returned to spain to marry matilda he found out she had marry another man so jose paronella determined to sail back to australia with a bride jose proposed to margarita, matildas younger sister one year later the happy newlyweds were ship bound for australia to begin jose dream.

the paronellas built a movie theatre witch turned into a ball room,tennis courts from crushed termite mounds and a pavilion with turret topped balconies,refreshment rooms and changing cubicles for the swimmers.In 1933 north qld first hydro electric plant was built to power the park and it still runs the park today and a caravan park and pumpes power back to the grid.
over the years the ballroom had a fire in 1979 and only the walls remain the floods and cyclones also did damage

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3295.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

this is the hydro electric plant built on a cliff

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

teza h

Yeh! that is an amazing place eh! I seen a docko on it once,what a story. the guye sertantly had vision,,comitement, for his dreem.