June/July Holidays - snow route?

cam04

The mad QLD'ers are doing a winter tour from Sydney, south to the Vic border along the various beaches, and then would like to head back inland via some higher country then back to Brisbane.
Any suggestions of a route inland and North? We will be towing a camper and set up for the cold but on our own. Forest roads are great, low range, not so much on this run. I'd be happy just with a nice road run - I haven't been anywhere around there before.

cam04

I hadn’t planned on getting that far south but it certainly fits the bill. I’ll do some calcs - Thankyou.

MrPoopypants

The mad QLD'ers are doing a winter tour from Sydney, south to the Vic border along the various beaches, and then would like to head back inland via some higher country then back to Brisbane.
Any suggestions of a route inland and North? We will be towing a camper and set up for the cold but on our own. Forest roads are great, low range, not so much on this run. I'd be happy just with a nice road run - I haven't been anywhere around there before.
Hi.
Well worth making the effort to do a round trip through the snowies, mate. Don't be put off by the snow on the ground, there are campsites low enough to use without getting stuck, providing you've got warm clothes and bedding. Island Bend, Tom Groggin are good spots to camp in winter and the drive through to Corryong is speccy. Also around Tumut, the road to Adaminaby and the easy track to Canberra via Blue Waterholes. Just lots of windproofs and warm undies! Kaputar gets a bit of snow at that time of the year, too. Great spot. The Barraba track from there would be worth checking out, too.
Great time of the year. No march flies!

Cheers
PP

cam04

That is awesome info. Thankyou. We have camped down to -5 around Glenn Innes so should be pretty ok. I’ll check out those roads.

Albynsw

Are you going to follow the coast all the way down?
It is a great run following the coast all the way to Lakes Entrance and then heading north up through the high country and work your way north from there

MrPoopypants

That time of year Camo, you might get colder than -5, maybe -10 or so, depending on the systems coming through. Just throw in an extra dooner or a few blankets and make sure you've got a good beanie and some gloves. A scarf might be good, too. Polypro thermals are cheap and really help. On the other hand, you can get sunshine and beaut days, with views of the snow covered mts. The Snowy River and the dams are all open to fishing year round, too.
I'd aim for the drive from Jindabyne to Khancoban or Corryong and check out some of the out of the way spots. If the weather is good, Geehi Flats and huts are definitely worth a visit. Tumut to Adaminaby, a side trip to Selwyn skifields might be a bit different for a Qulder! Kiandra is worth having a look at, the old cemetery is pretty nice covered in snow.
Crossing into Victoria is always a great trip, if you have time, but deserves special attention in its own right. Heading north it's definitely worth going via Blue Water Holes if you can, the back road to Canberra from Adaminaby is pretty scary during the ski season, lots of subarus in a hurry on day trips.
There are tracks in various spots, once you sort out an itinery post back on and I'm sure people here will help fill in the gaps.
Gotta love poring over maps.
Cheers
G.

Triton14

As above, if your going down coastal then coming back up through Vic border into NSW inland coming up through Corryong then Khancoban up the Alpine way would be a great spectacle.
You get to see the amazing technical feats of the men & women both Australian & immigrant who forged the snowy mountains scheme then onto the ranges which will be snow capped.
Past Thredbo & onto Jindy & the Lake is spectacular, lake Eucumbene even larger

Of course at that time of the year road conditions can vary & also chains may be needed at times for 2x2's & even 4x4's but it may also be all clear as well so just be sure to check the road & weather conditions before entering the route!!

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.a...utes/kosciuszko-alpine-way-drive/visitor-info

Last edited:

cam04

OK, Thankyou all again for the help, the run is looking like:

Syd - 3 days
Huskisson - 2 days
Narooma - 3 days
Eden - 3 days

Then I have booked a couple of nights camping at snowy river cabins, Berridale.

I am thinking about taking that road over to Tumut - is it weather dependent? and back up North from there.
Q. Should I have snow chains or any other alpine prep apart from local diesel?

Starting to get keen, leaving on Saturday.

Of course the diesel heater had a fit when I tested it, so have ordered a new one off ebay and will have to do emergency surgery on the camper on thur/fri to fit it, assuming it arrives on time - that is pretty standard in my world, there is always one thing haha.

The Mrs is pretty scared of camping in the cold - if it's that bad we will just pack up and drive I suppose? I can't wait.

dno67

I'd suggest carrying chains a good idea, you know how hard it is to get them when your stuck in snow ? ;)

greysrigging

The Alpine Way is not as scary as it used to be..... all sealed nowadays but could still be closed if there has been heavy snow.
If you are staying at Berridale the quickest route is over to Tumut on the Snowy Mountains Highway, sometimes closed due to heavy snow. If you were to do the Alpine Way through Jindabyne and Thredbo (if its open ) you could camp at Tom Groggin or Khancoban. then from Khancoban to Cabramurra and back onto the Snowy Mountains highway at Kiandra.
Snowy Mountains in July ?.....jeez its gunna be cold haha. Its not the snow so much as the invisible black ice on the bitumen....take care....

Bomber2012

You could drive a bit further South to Traralgon and head west through Licola and onto Jamieson , should be snow up there at that time of year , its a beautiful forest drive and the road is in good nic .

MrPoopypants

Sounds like fun. Those highways get cleared very quickly with snow and I've never had to fit chains to a 4x4 up there (and I've driven is some very very bad conditions - just take it easy), you should be right. If the snow is that bad the weather will mean you probably won't want to be out in it anyway. Berridale is quite low, but has a great pub. The road from there to Adaminaby and Tumut also offers access to Lake Eucumbene (trout fishing). Kiandra is worth stopping in, also if road is cleared to Selwyn ski field, (should be), you might be able to get to Three Mile Dam - very pretty covered in snow.
From Berridale it's only a hop skip and a jump to Island Bend (Snowy River) Thredbo Diggings (Thredbo River) and Guthega is an easy visit if you want to visit the back of the Perisher ski fields, much quieter than Perisher and no traffic. Great views of the main range, Mt. Tate, Mt. Anderson and the Consett Stephens Pass, also a good pub. The road is cleared and the car park usually has plenty of space. Walk up past the lift terminal along the closed snow road to get to the pub.
Charlotte Pass Village also offer snowshoe tours, you can get a cheapish package on a Tuesday, oversnow vehicle up from Perisher, lunch, snowshoe tour and oversnow vehicle back in the afternoon. They generally go up Mt. Stillwell, which isn't much lower than Kosi and has great views of the mainrange and Blue Lake.
Lots of possibilities. Have fun.
Cheers
PP

Oh yeah, you can hire chains in Adaminaby if needed and drop them off in Tumut.

cam04

Boom. You lot are amazing. I just hope I don’t stuff it up like a Qld tourist in the snow :eek:

cam04

Boom. You lot are amazing. I just hope I don’t stuff it up like a Qld tourist in the snow :eek:
The wife and I won’t ski but we’d like to get the kids a day on the snow somewhere, so maybe an out of the way place like Guthega might suit us better for that.