Jumper Leads

Marck

It's time for me to replace my old jumper leads . i have thought about making a set but I am not starting bulldozers just a little v6 so it's probably not worth it.

Dose any one have a favourite brand / type / advice?

M

typhoeus

buy a set with the thickest cable and Metal clamps. I inherited a set with plastic clamps and they are useless, as the plastic clamps go brittle & break. Or buy a set of welding earth clamps, and some thick cable and make your owm

Marck

Yeah mine have plastic covers and are all broken. Now the rubber on the leads themselves is brittle.

Albynsw

I was told to go on the weight as well as some have only lightweight alloy core with an extra thick insulation to make them look big
Copper core is meant to be best ( and most expensive)

I need to buy a new set as well so will be interested in hearing of any good recommendations

mac_man_luke

Iv got a set of Projecta jumper cables and they are pretty nice but i don't think they are cheap (i won mine in a competition)

Heavy cables make light work of a jump start, much easier than trying to use a pair of under sized cables.

Another option is one of the lithium battery jump packs, small and real easy to use but you only really get 1 or 2 shots and they need charging.

Albynsw

I have a lithium jump starter and it has worked well for a V6 petrol and a motorbike but would not start a 2H Toyota diesel
His cheap jumper leads didn't work either so pulled out the dual battery cables and used them to jump start with

Sean Caulfield

I know you have probably brought these already and I agree with making your own if that's an option just find some decent heavy copper wire.

How ever I also have one of those jump starters it's about 660cc-700cca it fits in my glove box and can be used the charge phones, laptops, all sorts of stuff and i have used it to jump start my GU patrol CRD on a cold morning no worries. It's worth it's weight in gold. Cost me about $350 I think and I know a set of leads or cheaper but there isn't always another car around to use.

Batts88

I made my own using 16mm2 cable the wire is just over 7mm thick you can go heavier but they should do the trick.

stevemc181

I carry a 6 meter set of 50mm2 (0B&S) Matson jumper leads. Allows me to easily reach my rear mounted Aux if I need to jump start the main. Also means I can pull up behind most vehicles and the leads will reach without having to turn the vehicles to face each other etc. Can also use them to bush weld if needed. They are a bit on the heavy side at 15kg but I got them at a price I couldn't turn down.

sharkcaver

You could buy matson gear direct a couple of years back. Seems they dont do direct now :( You will have to give me the detail on those Steve. Have been thinking I need something with a bat in the rear as linking them is out of the question now.

Also been thinking, to crank the starter should it fail, I only need the one positive cable as the earth is common body linked. Thoughts on that idea?

Swaggie

Isn't reverse polarity important with new computers these days especially making your own how would you go about implementing this
I know you should look at what your doing but crap happens especially if someone helps etc..

stevemc181

You could buy matson gear direct a couple of years back. Seems they dont do direct now :( You will have to give me the detail on those Steve. Have been thinking I need something with a bat in the rear as linking them is out of the question now.

Also been thinking, to crank the starter should it fail, I only need the one positive cable as the earth is common body linked. Thoughts on that idea?

I bought them from this eBay seller, but I paid under $200 a couple of years ago. Still a good price and they are a quality bit of gear.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Matson-50mm2-6M-Jumper-Leads-Orange-MA506AZ/262272363534?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150313114020&meid=f0353b61074c438d99a51be9c88b40f9&pid=100338&rk=2&rkt=9&sd=252274618301

Last edited:

lostboys

May be a silly question, as I've always carried jumper leads.
Have 2-batteries now - one std for my Series 78 Troopy, & 1-new 100amp/h deep cycle house battery for my Trakka fitout which includes -
  • 15amp Automatic battery charger
  • Electronic control system (battery condition,
  • indoor & outdoor temperature, clock & circuits)
  • 12 Volt outlets & USB charger
  • LED Interior & reading lights
  • LED Exterior lights
  • 240 Volt system and cable
Also have 135W solar panels on the roof.
The question?
With space at a premium, do I actually need jumper leads?
(& yeah, sorry if it is a silly question.):rolleyes:

Albynsw

I don't bother carrying them but I can easily jumpstart off my second battery with the way I have it wired but most likely you won't have heavy enough cable running to your second battery and you would need to bypass your charger and any isolators you have to crank off it. Or you could remove the second batter and do a direct jump if stuck

May be easier to just carry them??

Batts88

May be a silly question, as I've always carried jumper leads.
Have 2-batteries now - one std for my Series 78 Troopy, & 1-new 100amp/h deep cycle house battery for my Trakka fitout which includes -
  • 15amp Automatic battery charger
  • Electronic control system (battery condition,
  • indoor & outdoor temperature, clock & circuits)
  • 12 Volt outlets & USB charger
  • LED Interior & reading lights
  • LED Exterior lights
  • 240 Volt system and cable
Also have 135W solar panels on the roof.
The question?
With space at a premium, do I actually need jumper leads?
(& yeah, sorry if it is a silly question.):rolleyes:
Maybe not but you never know they may also come in handy to help someone else your travelling with or if you find a stranded vehicle in your travels.
I have 3 batteries but still carry jumper leads lots of situations can arise where they may be needed and it's easier than having to remove a batt out of your vehicle if someone has broken down on a track and is blocking you way out.

Last edited:

ian.c

I seen a set of fake 2000 amp leads at a Sunday market for $20, all insulation , less copper than a speaker wire but good solid clamps, bought them then used the clamps on some lengths of heavy duty battery cable I had lying around , best leads ever , instant jump starting , I do tend to get asked often .if I have leads and could I please help with a jump start, probably because the rig looks like it's prepared for anything.
Oh those leads I bought were useless, i tried to jump start my rider mower and they didn't have enough current to even turn it over.

Swaggie

I've noticed this a few times, thick casing and little copper wire, so be very careful where you buy it from..