Jump start packs

Chatty

I have the mid-range iTechworld unit. Twelve months old and it's never let me down - has done a perfect job of ensuring that I never get a flat battery and so never need to use it.
On the plus side, it has been useful for charging phones (it has a wireless charger as well).

Charges using a standard USB Type C port.

a1bert

Watch out for voltage spike if you have led globes;)
Never did receive a reply from Stedi Globes re this issue

boobook

I got one for $140 from of all places Kogan. I really bought it because I wanted a 12V battery for my portable LED lamp lights that I use sometimes away from the car. The one I got has an auxiliary 12V outlet.

I have a 200 with the V8 diesel. I could not believe how well it started the car with the main battery disconnected. Just like the real battery started right up. Tried starting it 3 times in a row. I think it would struggle after about 5.

Albynsw

I got one for $140 from of all places Kogan. I really bought it because I wanted a 12V battery for my portable LED lamp lights that I use sometimes away from the car. The one I got has an auxiliary 12V outlet.

I have a 200 with the V8 diesel. I could not believe how well it started the car with the main battery disconnected. Just like the real battery started right up. Tried starting it 3 times in a row. I think it would struggle after about 5.

Just had a quick look
Wasit the Topdon or Roobost unit you have?
mine has died so needs new one

boobook

Just had a quick look
Wasit the Topdon or Roobost unit you have?
mine has died so needs new one
Topdon Thats it.

I just checked. It is a Topdon Volcano 2000.

It claims it is a 20,000mAH unit. But my calculations using my USB charger volt amp meter indicates it is more like 10,000mAH

Still it does what I want and has kept its charge at 100% after about 8 weeks

Albynsw

Topdon Thats it.

It claims it is a 20,000mAH unit. But my calculations using my USB charger volt amp meter indicates it is more like 10,000mAH

Thanks for that
found them on eBay too, might get it there so I don’t get bombarded by more junk mail from a new vendor. Haven’t used Kogan

Komang

I got Suaoki T7 prob similar with topdon. It included small tyre pump handy for inflate small tyre. Use it to jump captiva 2.0 diesel easy. Never used yet to jump the 4wd

Albynsw

Topdon Thats it.

I just got one of these and are happy so far. The build quality looks good and I have used it to start the Willys Truck no problem. Nice little addition to have a wireless charger built in as well

Colly18

I'm wondering whether any of you have some feedback on using a jump start power pack to power a car fridge? I've a couple hobby cars and having one of these looks like a pretty appealing option to allow for taking/powering the car fridge on day or weekend outings (rather than running extra wiring or second batteries in multiple cars) + a backup in case of a flat starter battery + a convenient portable charger for phones/laptops etc. I'm considering the Topdon V1500 or V2000, based on my experience with a Topdon OBD2 reader whish is a well built item.

Chatty

I'm wondering whether any of you have some feedback on using a jump start power pack to power a car fridge? I've a couple hobby cars and having one of these looks like a pretty appealing option to allow for taking/powering the car fridge on day or weekend outings (rather than running extra wiring or second batteries in multiple cars) + a backup in case of a flat starter battery + a convenient portable charger for phones/laptops etc. I'm considering the Topdon V1500 or V2000, based on my experience with a Topdon OBD2 reader whish is a well built item.
If the V2000 is a true 20 AH unit (@boobook suggests it's a lot less than that) then you've likely got around 17AH of usable capacity.
That's likely around 4 hours operation for most fridges, at best.

Albynsw

Yeah I don’t know, it shows a compressor plugged into the ciggy plug adapter pumping up a tyre but not sure if it would provide longer term power for a fridge. I thought these type of devices were designed to give a high power load for a short period.

Dont think they are designed to do what you are after

Colly18

Thanks guys. I found a couple relevant clips on Youtube. It sounds like with prechilled fridge and contents a decent jump starter power pack does a reasonable job.

Chatty

Thanks guys. I found a couple relevant clips on Youtube. It sounds like with prechilled fridge and contents a decent jump starter power pack does a reasonable job.
If by "reasonable job" you mean that it will keep your fridge running while you're stopped for lunch, or doing a bit of shopping, then absolutely.

As an option for camping - nope. Not even close.

Colly18

If by "reasonable job" you mean that it will keep your fridge running while you're stopped for lunch, or doing a bit of shopping, then absolutely.

As an option for camping - nope. Not even close.
Yep, that's what I mean. Something to, at a pinch, keep a fridge cool for a few hours when vehicle or mains power is not convenient. I'm fully set up with dual batteries and solar panels with the 4X4, but just looking for an easy alternative if I want to stick the Waeco in the boot of the old Mercedes on a car club day trip; + the options to run other items such as gps, heads up display, etc.; from these power packs is pretty appealing when there are limited 12 volt outlets in an old Merc. and you don't want to go adding tacky looking extra sockets to a nice original classic.

Last edited:

RaymondR

What about those super-capacitor ones? Seem like a good idea - no battery to keep charged.
I bought a Repco one and I loved it. I took it to work to give it a test run before I got stuck somewhere and needed it. Charged itself up on the flat battery (Must have Min 5v) within 10 minutes from dead flat capacitors. The biggest engine I started was a Toyota 2Z engine (3.5l Diesel) and it worked very well.

The down side was that it failed without warning with "Error" on the screen and it wouldn't charge up anymore. I took it back and got it replaced under warranty but when the replacement had the same "Error" on the screen straight out of the box, I got a refund and bought a Lithium jumper pack instead, at least I can use it as a power bank (and expensive torch) as well.