Jump start packs

Madone

I'm after some advice on a battery jump starting pack.
Which are the better one's available I've been looking at NOCO GB40.
Any better ones out there its a bit confusing dont what a cheapie.
Cheers

callmejoe

I use power packs regularly for work. I own the NOCO GB70 which I brought due to smaller size and power output (2000). Others use the projecter 1500, it's bigger in over all size and smaller in power.

I would personally go the pojecter if doing it again. They have been able to with stand the ruffer treatment better, and even though smaller in power it has proved to start dead flat batteries much easier.

Joe

Kippie

I have the GB40 and used it to start my 2 litre diesel as well as various garden vehicles. Never had a problem.

Bomber2012

I recently bought a Uniden UPP136 jump start kit , haven’t had to use it yet so can’t comment on performance. I figure if it gets me out of trouble once it is worth it .

Toddyh

Are all you blokes running dual batteries? Provided your isolator works it would be pretty rare to flatten both.
6m jumper leads are like $30 on ebay.

Albynsw

Are all you blokes running dual batteries? Provided your isolator works it would be pretty rare to flatten both.

I just carry a battery lead long enough to bridge the two batteries to get me out of trouble. Doesn’t help anyone else but sorts me out just fine, they can supply their own leads I don’t need to carry them for others.

Kippie

I don't have a dual battery system and opted for a lithium portable power pack instead to power my small fridge. The GB40 is also portable to be used for a variety of equipment.

Method

An old post I know but for anyone looking for a decent jump pack I purchased the 1000/500 12/24v pack from jaycar for around $340. It is supposed to only do 500A at 24v.

I got 5 starts off a 24v cat excavator when I first bought it and surprisingly it jumps our trucks which are 24v twin 1000cca batteries. I even managed to jump one truck which had so little power in the batteries that the ignition wouldn't even turn on the dash lights.

Excellent pack for the $$ if anyone is looking at one.

Bru9

...or you can just get 4 headway lifepo cells in series... 'need a jump, hang on let me get it out of my pocket'...:p
I don't understand why one needs a jump starter? more a gimmick imo. using good batteries, good practices, never needed em, imo just more gadgets you have to babysit in life, no thanks. i carry jumper cables under bonnet in a nice spot on side of radiator.

• Haha
Reactions: CTL

Albynsw

...or you can just get 4 headway lifepo cells in series... 'need a jump, hang on let me get it out of my pocket'...:p
I don't understand why one needs a jump starter? more a gimmick imo. using good batteries, good practices, never needed em, imo just more gadgets you have to babysit in life, no thanks. i carry jumper cables under bonnet in a nice spot on side of radiator.

Jumper cables are only of use if you have something to jumpstart off

Reactions: CTL

G_ute

What about those super-capacitor ones? Seem like a good idea - no battery to keep charged.

Albynsw

????? And your point?.... They are there for someone else who may need a jump, I know how to set up a rig thank you.

You say that a jump starter is a gimmick but they can get you going with another vehicle.

Colly18

I agree, you'd be pretty unlucky to flatten 2 batteries. And carrying a set of decent jumper leads is what many do.
I'd forget ebay $30 jumper leads as I suspect the conducting cable size would be too small (useless). Buy some decent ones, making sure to get confirmation of the cable size/specs first.

Albynsw

I agree, you'd be pretty unlucky to flatten 2 batteries. And carrying a set of decent jumper leads is what many do.
I'd forget ebay $30 jumper leads as I suspect the conducting cable size would be too small (useless). Buy some decent ones, making sure to get confirmation of the cable size/specs first.

I have a couple of those cheapie sets and they are useless

John U

Gday Earth Experts.
Just checking to see if the info above is still good as battery technology evolves pretty quickly.
Additionally, would there be a way of hooking one of these up in the car so it gets charged while driving?
If I didn’t have to get it out of the ute to charge it, it’d be a couple less things to remember.

I’m trying to avoid getting a second battery.

CTL

Mine plugs into the ciggie lighter to charge. But having said that, after 2 years in the ute, it still shows full charge. Lithium has a very low discharge rate.