JP's new HJ47 Troopy

JP147

Some pictures from the 2019 annual meet

TzlvFi3.jpg

adS1e3d.jpg

JP147

Been doing a lot of trips but found the time to get some work done

Superior Engineering high clearance U-bolt plates fitted front and rear. They are made for the rear of a 70 series but I got them to fit in the front with some modification and in the rear with modification to the bump stops.

zvGYXpd.jpg

a7OXA68.jpg

33" tyres and some new wheels

bMYdtuP.jpg

2PZofm6.jpg

JP147

Finally got the dual battery setup how I like it. 200 amp Redarc solenoid with a link switch for winching or jump starting and 00 B&S positive and negative cables to the winch. I will replace the terminals on the starting battery but this will do for now.

8jRsM84.jpg

More switches added to the switch panel

J3hdUDe.jpg

JP147

The current rear setup, I plan to make a fridge slide for the next trip

ZwqrGav.jpg

High country trip again

lX7gnDX.jpg

IjmHGsa.jpg

0aC1SKu.jpg

kXLAAgJ.jpg

Lots of winching action. One day we had 5 different winch points to get up one hill. When there wasn't a good tree nearby, I would drive up and use my Cruiser as a winch point. But these guys have my respect for taking their mostly standard vehicles up some pretty steep tracks and not wanting to turn around, even when we were winching into the night.

HEz5efs.jpg

And it might not be much compared to some other 40s out there, mine has reached the big 400 on this trip

tsqIgM3.jpg

JP147

High country again for the annual 40/50 series meet

nHmh7s4.jpg

6uOHemZ.jpg

lv995Om.jpg

psstqsS.jpg

Then Bendleby Ranges. Picture is from Billy Goats Ridge track.

lUtYlHz.jpg

How we kept the dust out of the bedding

EirMig6.jpg

Fridge is now on a slide and the bed has been raised about 1". It can now be converted between single and double by adding or removing an extension piece. When set up as a single the fridge can be opened inside the car.

JP147

Time for a front axle rebuild. The diff was noisy, brakes worn and everything just due for some maintenance.

kI16FhS.jpg

yCuoHhc.jpg

H6AjUTd.jpg

There was a big dent in the front and a socket no longer fit over the drain plug. Conveniently it had been knocked loose by a rock.

Y8BzhYv.jpg

Front bash plate and drain plug protector welded on. The plate was for an 8" but I heated it and bent it out to fit the 9.5".

eem7JWV.jpg

NiUXhUu.jpg

New bearings, used diff gears out of the rear diff

KOA2bpx.jpg

CVs had some damage so I replaced with Longfield chromoly CVs, also got some 30 spline chromoly shafts and chromoly hub lock internals.

ZWPEGlx.jpg

Assembled with new brakes

lXvVxzS.jpg

Low profile magnetic drain plugs, thanks to WheeliePete on Youtube for the idea and part no.

uV07Cfz.jpg

Done

qgDrHFK.jpg

JP147

Radiator support was badly broken and cracked all over

amIHPVA.jpg

Many welds and 2 plates later

WxwFgL7.jpg

Finally found the source of the irritating squeaking noise

jBCfAWg.jpg

New engine mounts, also fuel hose while I was there

b2YYfbg.jpg

JP147

New parts car from Victoria, I got it for the 5 speed conversion and some other parts

zgxybDs.jpg

IMG_2940.JPG

My driver seat before

IMG_2116.JPG

Stripped down to the frame

IMG_2922.JPG

Rebuilt with new vinyl and foam from donor car

IMG_2923.JPG

JP147

It almost had a good heater, so I assembled a fully working one with parts from both

IMG_2916.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

And a new heater valve

IMG_2968.JPG

JP147

Set up this air system for easy inflation and deflation.

gJpSJ5F.jpg

Uses a Kings compressor

T8BLu6Z.jpg

Fills an air tank under the body and automatically shuts off at 120psi. Comes back on at 90psi.

tvAnzXr.jpg

Supplies valves. One gauge is for tank pressure, one for tyre pressure. There is an inflate tap, a deflate tap and taps for the front and rear axles to allow for different pressures front and rear.

ZWAkTOR.jpg

On the body are 4 Nitto fittings

veIZKBg.jpg

Also made a new switch panel

0mJn9Vu.jpg

Deflating all 4 tyres from 40psi to 10psi takes about 2 minutes.

Inflating them back up to 40psi from 10psi takes about 2 minutes 30 seconds.

JP147

New roof rack. The old one was small, heavy and the supports were not very strong.

I went to the aluminium place and they sold mesh in 750 x 310 cm pieces. I got 2 and welded them together and it was a good size for the roof rack.

KShWC2V.jpg

With the tube welded on

8kpb5Fw.jpg

Rear corner protection and a place to support the roof rack

9rUBW7b.jpg

SWOrQuH.jpg

Test fit of basket onto new frame

I5wc3Wc.jpg

On the car

EqPJlgw.jpg

It is much lighter than the old one and has almost double the surface area. It was too hard to weight the supports but the basket itself is 3kg lighter (around 30kg).

Also fitted a 30 second wing awning, now I can open the fridge without getting rain or snow inside

XopLRjX.jpg

JP147

Did the Robe - Beachport beach drive with some workmates. The sand was soft and there were lots of recoveries. Ended up raining pretty heavy so the awning was useful on the last night

KiJyTb9.jpg

bUCQjz6.jpg

mbNCysb.jpg

JP147

Water containers, I plan to get a water tank underneath with a pump and filter but I will still keep this as extra water. This space is not very easily accessible anyway because it is in front of the fridge. Since then I have added a third water container for 75L total.

j8Bp3HY.jpg

ypwmYLg.jpg

I9K2n0z.jpg

JP147

Added an automatic inflator/deflator. I had ordered this before I finished the air system and if I had known how quick it worked manually I probably wouldn't have bothered with the automatic unit. But it is nice to have now, I can go and do something else while the tyre pressure is adjusting.

O48u3eL.jpg

Trip to the Coorong

sQlwUZH.jpg

RAQovs5.jpg