Jockey Wheel on Drivers side of A frame.

boobook

I want to put my Jockey wheel on the drivers side of the camper. For some reason, nearly every jockey wheel seems to be on the passengers side, but with the wheel carrier etc it is harder to get to.

Does anyone know any reason why I could not swap it over?

Triton14

I dont have a camper trailer but I have a boat trailer(unbraked) & the jockey wheel is on the drivers side, thats the way I bought it.
If it was on the passenger side I dont think it would make any difference to me.

Some braked trailers have a hand break on one side so its the only thing I can think of that would determine that a jockey wheel has to be on one side?
jockey_wheels_1_.jpg

Last edited:

Petunia

so when you step back, you aren't stepping back into the traffic.
i support this statement as a reason

but i also say shifting it from side to side may be too difficult for me to think about, so i would ask a forum, or just go the pub, life has become so difficult, now i need icecream.

Hoyks

i support this statement as a reason

but i also say shifting it from side to side may be too difficult for me to think about, so i would ask a forum, or just go the pub, life has become so difficult, now i need icecream.
Icecream at the pub?

What kind of namby-pamby pubs do you frequent?

Petunia

Icecream at the pub?

What kind of namby-pamby pubs do you frequent?
ones that shut the doors at 8pm, still sell fosters, and have milk on the shelf and bread in the freezer, oh and the beef just walks down the street

i've just had a ''eureka'' moment ... why not get two hangy ony thingy brackets, put one either side then it be ambidexterous also if you in a state that stipulates one side or t'other, bingo you got it covered.

Rusty Panels

I can't see that it matters much either. My van, boat trailer and box trailer are all on the passengers side but I still find myself climbing over the draw bars to undo the chains and plugs so would not make any difference to me.

Batts88

My box trailer is drivers side but if you have a jockey wheel like mine that swings up and locks in place it may not suit just check it isn't going to interfere with anything. They must come in left or right hand set ups I suppose.

typhoeus

My swing-up wheel goes either way, so it can be mounted on either side. If you have a long drawbar, you might even be able to mount it inside a the "A" so it's more central