Jimmy's Thunderbox Review - Toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swaggie

Hi Guys

The first review for the New Year..:):)

These in my opinion are a cheap way to look after your human waste in the bush, not are they only great for the family there a great way to look after the environment too and fellow campers that need to use the campsite way after you have left... :).. Leaving your waste and what is called poo tickets (toilet paper) blowing around campsites is just plain lazy and unhealthy full-stop.

415090_photo3.jpg

photo.png

725182_photo4.jpg

Manufacturers Specs:

Jimmy's ThunderBox™ Camping Toilet - Made in Australia.

• It is really nice to be able to just sit there and have no flies buzzing around your bum.
• Jimmy's ThunderBox is the same height and has the same hole as your toilet at home.
• Designed to save space and folds down to a very flat 40cm x 40cm x 2½cm or 1 inch thick.
• Comfortable, Stable, Strong, Robust, are just a few of the words used to describe this toilet.
• Jimmy's ThunderBox comes in a bonus carry bag with handles --- Absolutely Free.
• If you are in a hurry, this camping toilet is extremely easy to erect. Seconds is all it takes.
• The most important feature of this camp toilet is that it has a very comfortable wooden seat.
• There is no assembly required, take it out of the bag and in seconds it's ready to use.
• This toilet can be used with a bucket inside or with the In-viro™ degradable toilet bags.
• It's so easy to clean, the only thing you need is, a little water and a stiff brush.
• This toilet weighs only 4·2kg or 9·2lbs and when erected is 40cm x 40cm x 39cm high.
• You can choose from either a *raw or a *black melamine seat, both are made from MDF.
• The bottom box section is made to last from quality Australian made galvanized steel.
• All spare parts are available for the Jimmy's ThunderBox portable toilet if ever needed.
• This toilet can support 230kg or 507lbs. Check our Jimmy's ThunderBox outdoor Toilet test
• By turning a catch under the seat, the base and the seat are locked together into a slot.
• Jimmy's ThunderBox - is easy to use, easy to clean, stable and strong and will definitely
• add comfort to your camping - It is suitable for the outdoors - 4W driving - Hunting - Fishing
• Boating - Family camping - remote areas - expeditions - disaster and emergency situations

My View:

Ive been using this toilet for a couple of years now.It cost about $100 natural and $120 for black painted and folds down to basically a flat pack in the vehicle....I have a Companion Cassette Toilet at home and its never been used,too scared the cassette will come apart in the Canopy when its full, :eek::eek:

This toilet providing its on flat land will seal off from flies,animals etc,if i have a little uneven ground i put dirt up against the bottom to seal it off,never had a fly in it...The lid flips over and seals off the top seat area easily.

Basic things i do:

1: Take environmental plastic bags that break down,once the toilet is erected i attach the 4 corners of the bag on the inside of the toilet for obvious reasons and put the top down,buy bags big enough to reach the 4 corners..

2: I use a post hole digger and generally dig down to 600mm plus for the two of us,sometimes you come across shale or rocks,i also take a mash hammer and small crow bar to get around it..

3: Lime is a great way to reduce odor,you can also use the dirt you've dug out but i have found lime is the best...

4: Take a shower tent for privacy if needed,if no one is about i don't bother...

5: Keep the toilet well away from the river at least 100 metres,there are specific measurements,will look up later...

6: Once finished open the lid,its rebated to sit into the steel base to seal off and give a firm footing to the toilet...Take 4 corners of the plastic bag and seal with a twist taking the air out away from the nostrils lol,and place into the ground,this can be done with no smell or mess,back fill the dirt,if there's rocks about i put 2 on-top,if not a log will suffice...

My two pictures below of last week. It is still setup and ready to use

DSC03983.JPG

DSC03982.JPG

toilet_with_bricks.jpg

Jimmy's Thunderbox camping toilet • RainMan Camp Shower • Gas Guards • Buy Now

Item Dimensions
Width: 40cm
Length: 40cm
Height: 39cm

IRONMAN make a similar model...I'm not sure of there construction as ive never seen or used one..This one costs around $80,it has a plastic seat.

bushtoilet.jpg

Ironman 4x4 Bush Toilet

Kookaburra Bush Dunny costs around $80

36366-1.jpg

Kookaburra Bush Dunny Portable Toilet | Snowys Outdoors

Happy Campin !

*These reviews are my own,i have no affiliation with anyone but myself *...:eek:

Last edited:

profoto

I think we should pass a motion on this thread:p
Pretty sure the river regs are 20 metres so you are well outside that boundary.

billolga

There GREAT! At my age as squatting is O.K. but GETTING up is a problem - I wouldn't travel without mine.
Bushnut & Grumpy got me spoilt with this one.

Last edited:

Swaggie

I've been looking at the thunderbox also, so thanks for the review. Have you got a link for the bags that you use? I've been looking at the below bags for the unit on the cover, not sure if the bags will fit the Thunderbox unit though.

10X Disposable Repacement Bags Suit Portable Outdoor Camp Camping Toilet CPT1 | eBay

No worries mate.

You wouldn't believe it i went through my last bag this trip...lol

I don't think those type will do it mate,i cannot take internal measurement till during the week..

Cheers

prawns

Love your honest reports Swaggie mate - they are one of the "forum highlights" for me as they are honest and also have great down to earth advice as well from somebody who actually tests the products a while before passing a judgement

Crikey those things are strong as well eh, Im not so sure my wood table could handle that amount of bricks without bowing out substantially lols (edit - actually after looking again - I think my table would just snap lol)

Good onya mate :) Keep up the great work

dno67

Looks like it beats the hell out off leaning up against a log and finding out your being attacked by jumping jacks or inch-men (Bullants) while trying to back one out. Hate that.

hiluxdriver

BTW, I wouldn't want to be the person to tap the sides of the T'box with the Jenga bricks stacked on top.

devo73

Banned
Another vote for the Jimmy here...cant stand the thought of a chemical dunny. Great for the wife and daughter, happy campers there lol.

50m from the river I think. And never used lime, the dirt is good enough. Sure lime is better but another thing to carry.

The lid recesses into the metal sides so the more weight the stronger the seal...tap the sides and those bricks will go nowhere. And just use any bio-degradable bag from the supermarket, chop the bottom off before you put it under the seat and all good, just make sure it goes into the hole a good distance. Best bit is there is never any mess at all.

Top review Swaggie ;)

80lover96gxl

Good topic Wayneo.
Yep another tick for the JTB.

Used one on our 2 successful high country trips and think their great.
As stated above atleast 50mtrs from river or creek.
Wasn't ours but a trip conpanion, he lines the JTB with a bio- degradable garbage bag as a liner which goes into the hole when finished and well buried and a few decent rocks placed on top to deter wildlife.

Definitely plan on getting one of our own.

LowLux

We originally bought a cassette toilet as well then came across the Jimmy's immediately afterwards hence the cassette toilet has never been used and still in the box.

We've been using our Jimmy's for a couple of years now and they are excellent.

You'll find the Jimmy's is now around the $100 mark whereas the Ironman (exactly same construction) is, last time I saw, was either $75 or $85.

Good review too Swaggie.

Last edited:

80lover96gxl

We originally bought a cassette toilet as well then came across the Jimmy's immediately afterwards hence the cassette toilet has never been used and still in the box.

We've been using our Jimmy's for a couple of years now and they are excellent.

You'll find the Jimmy's is now around the $100 mark whereas the Ironman (exactly same construction) is, last time I saw, was either $75 or $85.

Good review too Swaggie.

Thats good to know Marc and a good price too, might check out the Ironman one I think.
Thanks for the info.

Swaggie

Thanx Swaggie, you've made my wife and daughter very happy.

Although I've never married the saying goes "Happy Wife Happy Life"

A number of women have used mine and have been pretty impressed with it considering we are out in the middle of nowhere,some were not really campers either. Some of the long drops can be leathal smelling.

Cheers Bud.

Last edited:

deepop

4x4 Earth Contributer
I've seen the owner of one of these run it over with someone else's car - including the pop up tent around it.

After said car was removed the tent popped back up and the JTB lived to fight another day.

Now, who was that?

Swaggie

I've seen the owner of one of these run it over with someone else's car - including the pop up tent around it.

After said car was removed the tent popped back up and the JTB lived to fight another day.

Now, who was that?

Lmao

Lucky no one was actually using it at the time :eek:

Lost 2

Hi,

Well , once on a trip a friend let me use his THUNDERBOX. So good i went out and brought one:):):):):):).

Love it:)Have used cassettes before. Don,t particularly like emptying them:eek:

So for us, thumbs up for the THUNDERBOX and pants down.

Well you know what i mean:rolleyes:

billolga

O.K. what we need is a new thread with photo's of "Jimmy's Thunder Box in Beautiful Places".:cool:

IMG_1555.JPG

Bushnut's Setup in the Simpson Desert in 2010 WITH FLOWERS!! - Where he turned me to the "Dark Side".

The "Poor ones" around here (Without a Jimmy's) can put up your photo's of your hole in the ground without the rest of us taking the micky out of you.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.