Jerry can storage.

Daniel-J

I myself used to always carry fuel when going to remote places because there were no gas stations and could not be there. You have to be careful and seal everything well, you also have to take into account that you do not need to make stocks for a long time because gasoline has a property to evaporate.

DeKiller

It's interesting you're finding yourself in this predicament. I'm currently going through the process of selling my old car and using its proceeds to add a roof rack and awning to my roof, eventually adding a tent and dual jerry can holder too. I am finding that with the shorty I cant go ARB like i want and will have to go for Rhino Rack.

The guys at the local ARB dealer shop (RCA in Wyoming) reckon I can fit a tent and jerry can holder on top, but lets see!

I intend on being able to store both fuel and tent on top, but will let you know how I go (hopefully the old swift sells quickly!).

All else fails, if you really need to keep jerry cans of fuel in your car, you can help yourself by doing the following:
- Check the seal of your cans/jerry is good.
- For added security, get a plastic woolies bag wrapped around the cap/nozzle of the fuel container/jerry and secure with gaff tape.

My shorty has a 70L tank and I intend to take an extra 40L with me in case I need it when I go on trips.