Change background image

Jerry can storage.

Discussion in 'Information For Newbies' started by Threshold, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Threshold

Threshold Active Member

Im pretty sure this will sound dumb; but can i store jerry cans inside my wagon?

300 bucks for a roof cage holder that I need to modify is a bit extreme.

Anyone had any experience? cheers.

2. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

Threshold likes this.
  3. Threshold

Threshold Active Member

Thanks just want to carry 2 x 20l jerry cans in back of car. cheers, and according to this I can carry 12. :)

4. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

I airways thought it was illegal to carry petrol in the cabin area (which would include the boot on a hatchback or wagon)

Diesel there is a bit more leeway as it isn't as spontaneously combustible

5. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Heaps of people say never carry petrol inside a car???
    I have done it heaps of times and on every long touring trip, make sure it is sealed properly, easy to smell if its not, make sure it is secured REALLY well and try and keep it toward the centre of the car so it involved in an accident the jerry can't be damaged.
    I keep mine on top of the false rear floor tied to the cargo barrier and between the rear wheel arches.
    Same spot as I had to mount my fuel tank in the old speedway car, safe as houses and anyone that says otherwise IMO is just over the top.
    Please feel free to disagree and put forward any dangers or issues that I may not have considered.

Threshold likes this.
  6. Threshold

Threshold Active Member

I'll go with that Discomatt. I will strap them down and it should be sweet.

Drive with the windows down. haha.

7. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Looks life iwas wrong :)

Can't find anything on the official sites but found this that looks like it has been pulled from them at some point in explores

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    The WA Dangerous Goods Act 1988, and Dangerous Goods (Transport) (Road and Rail) Regulations
    1999, contains the relevant regulations, both of which are based on the Australian Dangerous
    Goods Code (ADGC), sixth edition.

The maximum permissible quantity is 250 litres of petrol, which should be carried in approved
    containers in either the boot or on external brackets. It can be carried within the passenger
    compartment, such as the back of a station wagon, in approved, properly restrained containers,
    but this is not recommended.
    Contact the Explosives and Dangerous Goods Division of the WA Department of Mineral and
    Petroleum Resources for further into (08 9222 333)

QUEENSLAND
    The Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Dangerous Goods) Regulation 1998 permits
    carrying up to 250 litres of dangerous goods (fuel) for personal use. The responsibility for
    filling a jerry can and ensuring it is an approved container lies with the person filling the
    container.

Under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 owners are prohibited from
    modifying their vehicle, its parts or equipment, and from carrying dangerous goods
    (irrespective of quantity or position), in an unsafe manner.

This includes carrying containers upright, ensuring they don't leak and are properly secured,
    and do not overload the vehicle (especially if transported on roof-racks). A booklet titled Load
    Restraint Guide (available from Commonwealth Government Bookshops) should be consulted
    Write to: Greg Swann, Group Manager, Vehicle Safety and Industry Reform Section,
    Queensland Transport, PO Box 673 Fortitude Valley QLD 4006.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
    In South Australia, petrol is covered by the Dangerous Substances Act and Regulations, which are
    in turn based on the ADGC; therefore, the same 250- limit applies.

Diesel is unregulated, as elsewhere, but the Department for Administrative and Information
    Services advises that petrol (and diesel) transportation would be covered by the general duty of
    care provisions contained in Sections 11 and 12 of the Dangerous Substances Act.

The Road Traffic Act has provisions for duly of care relating to vehicle safety issues such as
    overhanging loads and impact protection. They also state that, while carrying fuel in the
    driver's vapour space (in a van or wagon), is much debated, it is up to each individual driver
    to assess their own risk and duty of care provisions when deciding whether to fit a range tank
    or carry fuel in jerry cans. Dangerous Substances Branch, Workplace Services (08) 8303 0447

VICTORIA
    In Victoria, the relevant legislation is the Road Act 1995, which has been adopted from
    the, (Dangerous Goods) Act -1995 and the Road Transport (Dangerous Goods) Regulations.

The Regulations reference the ADGC under which Regulation 1.10 exempts small quantities of fuel
    from the rigours of the Dangerous Goods legislation. This refers, again, to petrol only. Diesel
    is not considered dangerous goods.

They maintain it is the responsibility of the driver items, regardless of type, are firmly and
    a fuel should be stored in AS2906 containers minimum requirement.
    Write to: Victorian WorkCover Authority, Dangerous Goods Unit
    GPO Box 4306 Melbourne Vic 3001

TASMANIA
    The Tasmanian government refers these, issues to the Dangerous Goods (Road and Rail Transport)
    Regulations 1998, which covers general safety and load restraint safety.

The filling of fuel containers is also covered by AS1940 - Storage and Handling of Combustible
    and Flammable Liquids. They advise that a person can carry 250 litres of petrol for private use
    (as per the ADOC), but the containers must meet AS2906 Fuel Containers/Portable/Plastics and
    Metal.

Tasmanian Vehicle and Traffic (Vehicle Standards) that an object fitted to a vehicle must be
    designed, built and maintained to minimise the likelihood of injury. As such, this would
    prohibit the fitting of jerry cans containing dangerous or explosive substances to any vehicle
    (car,4WD, caravan, trailer), especially given the likelihood of rear or side-impact collisions.

Owners of vehicles should check the 'fine print' of their insurance policies. If fuel is
    transported in an unsafe manner and an accident leads to greater damage or injury than might
    otherwise have been the case apportion blame to the driver and/or invalidate the policy.
    Write to: The Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources,
    GPO BOX 936 HOBART TAS 7001.

NEW SOUTH WALES
    The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) and WorkCover NSW are the competent authorities
    for dangerous goods control in NSW. They' administer the Road and Rail Transport (Dangerous
    Goods) Act 1997 and the Road Transport Reform (Dangerous Goods) (NSW) Regulations 1998.

Under these laws, jerry cans must be approved containers for the transport of Class 3 liquids
    (petrol) (ie, AS2906) and the maximum permissible quantity is 250 litres. Diesel is not
    considered a dangerous good, but a combustible, and must be carried in a safe manner.

Division 9.3.1 (1) (e) of the ADGC states that 'if the package (ie, jerry can) contains
    dangerous goods of a kind that may lead to the formation of flammable, toxic or other harmful
    atmospheres - the package must be stowed so that no harmful atmosphere will accumulate in the
    cabin If the package leaks'.

The above would indicate that great care should be taken when storing jerry cans inside a 4WD's
    luggage compartment, whether it is a separate boot or part of the passenger compartment. AS2906
    containers are designed not to vent to the atmosphere, provided they are in good condition and
    the seals/lids are functioning correctly.

Write to: NSW Environment Protection Authority
    Dangerous Goods Office
    59-61 Goulburn St, Sydney NSW 2000.

NORTHERN TERRITORY.
    Only containers which comply with Northern Territory Dangerous Goods Regulation 217 can be used
    to transport flammable, (petrol.) and combustible (diesel) fuels. Essentially, this covers
    containers complying with AS1533/34 and AS1 940, but 'approved container' is also specified
    which indicates that containers complying with AS2906 would also be acceptable.

The Northern Territory Dangerous Goods legislation is b ADGC, which specifies that not more
    than 250 litres of petrol can be carried. No quantity is specified for diesel.

Information bulletins are available at www.nt.gov.au/cbb/wha or contact
    The Department of Industries and Business, Work Health (08) 8999 511 8

AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY
    The transport of fuel is covered under the Dangerous Goods Act. 1975, Dangerous, Goods
    Regulations 1978, Road Transport Reform (Dangerous Goods) Act 1995 and Road Transport
    (Dangerous Goods) Regulations. The latter takes its requirements from the ADGC.

The DGA (1975) Section, 12 and 14 require fuel to be carried in appropriate, containers
    to prevent spillage or leakage, and make it an offence to carry fuel in a manner likely to
    cause death/injury, or damage to property.

Section 37(1) of the RTR (DIG) Act1 1995 requires fuel be transported in a safe manner.
    Sub Section (2) makes it an offence to do so where a person "ought to have known" that what
    they were doing was unsafe or likely to cause damage to persons or property.

Threshold likes this.
  8. Threshold

Threshold Active Member

Thanks Smitty, glad to know I am being legal about all of this. Especially in both states.

9. Threshold

Threshold Active Member

And thanks everyone for super quick and informative replies. Excellent work all!!

10. mauriceb

mauriceb Well-Known Member

I think only a fool would carry petrol in gerry cans inside a vehicle expecially in plastic .One slight leak will stink you out or send you high.
    What are the hazards of transporting a container of petrol?
    If petrol fumes vent from a container inside a vehicle, it can form an explosive fuel and air mixture. If there is an ignition source this mixture can then explode and injure, or even kill the driver and any passengers.

Ignition sources can include electrical equipment in the vehicle such as using a remote locking mechanism, or lighting a cigarette in or near the vehicle.

Ventilation is the key to reducing the risk of fire or explosion inside a vehicle. Quote
    If petrol fumes vent from a container inside a vehicle, it can form an explosive fuel and air mixture. If there is an ignition source this mixture can then explode and injure, or even kill the driver and any passengers.

Ignition sources can include electrical equipment in the vehicle such as using a remote locking mechanism, or lighting a cigarette in or near the vehicle.

Ventilation is the key to reducing the risk of fire or explosion inside a vehicle.

11. muffin man

muffin man Well-Known Member

As the other posters have said no worries if sensible.
    Throw in some white plumbing tape to put on the thread to eliminate any chance of leaks or fumes.
    Fill the jerry at your last fuel stop and empty once you can...keep smokers away.
    Be sensible and you won't have a problem.
    Oh and if it's so dangerous carrying fuel in a car we'd all be putting our lawnmower fuel on roof racks.:rolleyes:

Threshold likes this.
  12. Threshold

Threshold Active Member

Well after all of that I found a better alternative. As I needed to buy at least one jerry can, I found these 'squat style' jerry can which I will be able to strap straight onto my roof cage. So I have ordered two. $35 each, much less hassle. Just fasty strap it on to the roof.

Attached Files:

mauriceb likes this.
  13. discomatt

MMM I must be a fool, ah hang on I have a sense of smell, I am sure you would smell the fuel well before it became explosive:eek:o_O:rolleyes:
    I carry the empty jerries on the roof then when I need to fill them, at the last servo I pass they go in the car because in my experience the extra 40kg on the roof can/will present more of a hazard off road than in the car, and besides my thirsty shitter drinks so much its only in the car for a day...
    each to there own though
    If it was such a hazard why do CAMS stipulate where a fuel cell is to be mounted in a speedway car?
    When I raced Bash and Crash a 20 L Jerry was the preferred option with a fuel line welded into it and a shut off tap within reach of the driver when harnessed into the car;)

14. MyCrazy80

MyCrazy80 Well-Known Member

:eek: you talking about yourself or your disco:D:p

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Threshold and discomatt like this.
  15. discomatt

Nice editing, you should get a job with the Herald Sun:D
    I can be explosive, life can be a hazard, Disco is definitely a shitter ( dam good shitter though )

phs, Threshold and MyCrazy80 like this.
  16. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

I have the 3 x 20lt normal upright poly jerries (one metal one too), and a couple of the squat ones.
    The squat ones are brilliant for stability and storage, just take a bit longer to empty as they don't have the air bleed valve like the upright ones.
    Minor thing, and worth the trade off I reckon for an extra few minutes emptying them into the tank.

Threshold likes this.
  17. phs

phs Well-Known Member

You could always put it in a box with a vent to outside the vehicle.

That what you have to do transporting acetalyne BOC sell the boxs

18. Threshold

Threshold Active Member

Not in my suzuki mate. The box would take up the whole car haha.

happy tezza likes this.
  19. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Looking at your avatar you already have a roof rack? Is the $300 a holder on the rack for jerrie cans or ?

20. Threshold

Threshold Active Member

Yeah mate. 300 for the holder. I came accross squat style jerry cans (after i started this thread of course.) which will sit nicely in the rack, I didn't know that they came in 20l sizes, i'd only seen them in 5l