Jeep Track - Mount Stanley

Hey Everyone, well decided to tackle what I 'thought' was a fairly straightforward sunday drive up Mt Stanley (VIC) via the Jeep Track. Apparently having had rain within the last week or so made a big difference.

Let's just say took me about 5 minutes to drive up as far as I could on AT Tyres (34" muddies might have gotten up) and then about an hour and 3 winches to get back down safely.

20190908_113321 (Large).jpg

End of the first winch back down. I managed to drive just past that tree on the left.

20190908_113600 (Large).jpg

2nd winch down, that's just rolling making those ruts

20190908_120049 (Large).jpg

Got to a point I could turn around and drive down, as you can see in the distance the bottom section of this track is a whole different kettle of fish that lulls the unwary, (i.e. me) into a false sense of security.

Looking forward to revisiting this one when it's drier.

That track looks flat to me , only joking I know pictures don't show how steep a track actually is....

Muds would have only filled up with that sticky clay anyway.... You wouldn't have driven that much further on them....

Glad you managed to get down safely. I don't go in there anymore over winter or if it's been raining for days..... I've had my share of close calls over the years, plus I'm getting soft in my old age...

That track looks flat to me , only joking I know pictures don't show how steep a track actually is....

Muds would have only filled up with that sticky clay anyway.... You wouldn't have driven that much further on them....

Glad you managed to get down safely. I don't go in there anymore over winter or if it's been raining for days..... I've had my share of close calls over the years, plus I'm getting soft in my old age...
Thanks for that, often wondered how much I'm giving up having AT Tyres instead of muddies in terms of traction. Just as this is my daily driver it's at least 80% on bitumen so went with a decent AT Tyre.

Sounds like you know the track. Rises about 400m in fairly short succession, and yes photo's never do it justice. Just walking up that road was challenge enough.

To be honest mate I havnt, but it's no different to a lot of The High Country I've covered over the years...
Lockers don't help much in that stuff either because of that clay filling up the treads and you just spin on the spot anyway... That's why I always say install a winch first as in your case it was a life line, it also gives you options....

Muds help to give you more traction in steep Rocky areas imo.. But you pay a price for that.

To be honest mate I havnt, but it's no different to a lot of The High Country I've covered over the years...
Lockers don't help much in that stuff either because of that clay filling up the treads and you just spin on the spot anyway... That's why I always say install a winch first as in your case it was a life line, it also gives you options....

Muds help to give you more traction in steep Rocky areas imo.. But you pay a price for that.

Couldn't agree more, as I tend to drive solo a lot and the winch has gotten me out of trouble a few times where I would otherwise have had to walk to get mobile signal and then had a long wait for someone or, as in the case on the weekend, probably have ended up with panel damage due to an uncontrolled descent, assuming I could have gotten it going downwards