• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Jeep Diff

Harden Crew

Hi all,

Have just acquired a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee from my mother. It has a crook front diff and the front drive shaft has been removed so it can be driven. My question is how do I tell what diff is in the front and has anyone got any ideas on a good place to get another one.

Thanks

Greg

Jeep_jk112

Head over ausjeepoffroad.com bud
Should be able to get the info you need from those blokes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Harden Crew

Have just checked the Jeep thread and got some answers from a question I asked back in september about where to get one but how do I tell which one is in it, have been getting some conflicting info from some friends.

Thanks

Greg

It will be a DANA 30. Have a look around the back of the housing around the edges it will be stamped on it and probably the ratio to. Give Polly4X4 a call on 03 9562 7779 thay ship all over Australia and there prices are really good

What is actually wrong with the diff anyway? Because the pulling the driveshaft out won't stop the diff spinning just power driving through it. If it's not giving you trouble at the moment it's probably just be a bad driveshaft CV, just check the CV first before you go buying a new diff for it if you want to convert it to a uni joint the front shaft from an XJ cherokee fits right in and is double uni jointed so it will still work for you if you put a 4" to 6.5" lift in it.

Last edited:

Harden Crew

Jason,

Thanks for that info, I was about to ask another question but you answered it. I am not sure what is wrong with the diff, but at the moment I don't think there is anything as I have just driven it from mums to home, about 500k's without front drive shaft in and it was fine. What started all this was mum and the step father were having a problem with the steering, it was wandering on the road and there was some oil coming out of the breather pipe, they had there mechanic look at it, he pulled the front off it and told them it needed a rebuild and quoted about 1800.
Whilst I was looking at the Jeep yesterday I noticed the front left tyre was bigger than all the others, 3 were 235/70/16 and the front left was 245/70/16, not a big difference but enough I believe to cause problems for a constant 4x4, I stand to be corrected. I changed the tyre and did not have a problem all the way home.
Was going to ask about the effect of removing the front drive shaft as I do not believe it would have any effect, so going to put the shaft back in now have correct tyres all round and see what happens, having never had a constant 4x4 or Jeep before this is all a learning curve for me so thanks for all the information.

Greg

Yes that will do it, the tires need to be all the same size. The spider gears are probebly had it and that's what the mechanic was talking about and your trip would have not done them any favors but if they were already stuffed who cares anyway. the price he gave you is ridiculous ring polly and ask for Barry and tell him what has happend he will help you out. Also change the transfer case fluid cos the thing will have been working overtime since the driveshaft was removed as without the driveshaft spinning the transfer case front output it will think that it's spinning the rear wheels and send 50% power forward.

Harden Crew

Well replaced the front drive shaft today and took the Jeep for a run along the highway and had no problems also tried it in low but not under much pressure and all went well. Will still get the diff checked out but thanks for all your help and advice guys.

Greg