jack problems! whendoes it end

pipzryd

hey there since buying my 98 diesel jack last January, ive spent almost 6k on repairs...
bow I had issues with power then the engine light came on. took it back to mechanic and he said it looks like an injector but their diagnostic machine couldn't read anything because they don't have the codes.
ive heard it will cost around 3.5k if it is the injectors.... I want to fix it cos its a great car to drive but if I do ill have paid twice as much repairing as I did buying...
so far ive replaced:
turbo $2000
oil vac pump $1300
starter motor $700
cv's $1200

plus there is the minor service $600
needed new tires and batteries when I got it $1500
sound system $500
cb radio $300
hella ralley 2000's x2 $free (gift from my dad)

and soon to be $3500 to get the 4 injectors replaced and the orps (apparently its a good idea to do it at the same time)
I also need a new drivers door due to an incident with an emu... $450 for the wrong colour from a 4wd wrecker

has anyone spent this much on a jack? I only paid $5000 for it!

You have 2 options....sell it and buy something more reliable eg. Patrol/Landcruiser/Navara
....or fix it and hope that nothing else needs fixing in the next few years.
Mechanics hate them cos of the problems they have, but some love em because they can charge so much to repair them.

Best advice is to learn to fix it yourself.

stardog

If it was me I would pull the 4jx1 engine out and fit a 4jb1t or 4jg2t engine in it both bolt up and there are few guys who have done it and are very happy with doing it.
Just Google it or go to club Isuzu site.

Swaggie

Like a medical condition, have you had a second opinion?
Lmao

Yeah your in a position of questioning whether you'll ever get on top of things, I've been there once with a Holden. My advice if you have the $$$ is cut and run, but it's easy said than done.

Goodluck with your decision.

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Best advice is to learn to fix it yourself.
Ditto, even though I have a good income , the cost of labour for repairs has always been a major consideration for any vehicle. And that is what most of those costs listed are - labour

If I can't fix the majority of the mechanical issues myself myself then i don't want to own it. ( probably have lots of problems doing that in 10-20 years time but I could also be dead by then too :D)

Replacing a starter motor isn't a bad place to start if you are going to do repairs on your own car - Eric the Car Guy on Youtube is not a bad place to get a lot of tips and the money you save on the labour will get you a good set of Sidchrome/Kinchrome tools for future repairs

And injectors aren't that hard to do either - see Eric the Car Guy - my son swears by him :D:D - and I've found him handy at times ;)

Cheers

stardog

$700 for a starter motor he has seen you coming you pick them up for $165 2 bolts to undo and 2 wires like I said get rid of that hand grenade motor if you want to keep the jack or it will keep you poor especially with that guy working on it:

prawns

Crikey yeah that starter sounds expensive. I just replaced my Pajero one for $120 with a 2 or 3 year warranty (brand new)

I assume you bought genuine from all your prices?

joebog

At least your mechanic got a pre paid christmas !!!!

ya poor bastid :( I would dump the mechanic AND the car !!

Joe

bally

Banned
Holy **** your getting ripped blind!!!!! 1200 for cv's !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mother of godbid have slapped that man black and blue by now. 450 for a door ?!?!?!?!? And 3500 for 4 injectors is rediculous. Sell this thing and move on asap!

dno67

If it's got ABS, better hope that don't go next.
Those jacks are known for fuel system problems and unless done properly, you'll be revisiting the same problem again and again. Do your self a favor and get yourself a GQ or an 80s or similar at least people will have something positive to say about it.

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Holy **** your getting ripped blind!!!!! 1200 for cv's !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mother of godbid have slapped that man black and blue by now. 450 for a door ?!?!?!?!? And 3500 for 4 injectors is rediculous. Sell this thing and move on asap!
My cv's reached the end of the line yesterday so I had all cv's/driveshafts replaced today, in 3 hrs this morning, for $640, - cbf'd doing it myself this time at that price.

$1200 is a tad steep:eek:

For info - mine done by M & S drive shafts in Nth Sunshine Vic - top job !

The cars good but you do need to learn how to work on them and any car yourself. They are simple unless you want to replace the water pipe under the turbo or the oil pressure switch..You are getting ripped off by your mechanic for sure at those prices. Starter motor $180 and 30-60mins to fit. I have had quotes for parts from Holden and have bought the same part for 30 times less (yes 30 times) Injectors are expensive but should be under $2.5k retail. But question that as the injectors are normally robust and shouldn't need replacing.

Luthy

I'd be ditching the mechanic 600 for a minor service??? My major services don't cost that much and 1200 for cv's??? I'm getting new wheel bearings, upper control arm bushes, rack ends, rotors, pads and anything else bushed or worn fixed in my HOLDEN rodeo for $700. Admittedly I have bought most parts for a lot cheaper buy researching it online for prices. (Still source them from Australian company's tho). Was quoted around 600 in parts but have sourced them for 300 and got a few extras. I do most of the work on mine but for such a big job I'm getting my mechanic to do it.

Luthy

Last edited:

muc the truck

hey there since buying my 98 diesel jack last January, ive spent almost 6k on repairs...
bow I had issues with power then the engine light came on. took it back to mechanic and he said it looks like an injector but their diagnostic machine couldn't read anything because they don't have the codes.
ive heard it will cost around 3.5k if it is the injectors.... I want to fix it cos its a great car to drive but if I do ill have paid twice as much repairing as I did buying...
so far ive replaced:
turbo $2000
oil vac pump $1300
starter motor $700
cv's $1200

plus there is the minor service $600
needed new tires and batteries when I got it $1500
sound system $500
cb radio $300
hella ralley 2000's x2 $free (gift from my dad)

and soon to be $3500 to get the 4 injectors replaced and the orps (apparently its a good idea to do it at the same time)
I also need a new drivers door due to an incident with an emu... $450 for the wrong colour from a 4wd wrecker

has anyone spent this much on a jack? I only paid $5000 for it!
bolt a Colorado / dmax 3ltr engine in it . you can by a complete stat right off for under 4k