its got more knobs on it

sharkcaver

Because I know what to expect, having been there exactly 12 months ago today.

An 8 day, solo adventure to perform maintenance on Australia's most remote cache. Begins tomorrow.

* Drive to base camp over 2 days (1)

* Walk to 40Km return to Nichol's Knob to drop an ammo can off - (yep, I'm an idiot) (2)

* Meet the owners of Lake Wells Station (3)

* Mow the spinifex and get bogged in the dry creek beds of De La Poer Range (4)

* Sleep in a luxury donga at Moolart Well Gold Mine (5)

And if I survive all that, then take 2 days to come home. Another 3000Km adventure for one geocache: GCG3HJ......one I've already found. You crazy bastard.

trip map resized.jpg

trip map 2 resized.jpg

nichols map 3.jpg

dno67

So, you score a bottle of cognac, and leave one for the next person?
I'm waiting to hear about someone leaving a block of chocolate at one of these remote caches. Iol
Well done mate, top effort.
Is there a register or list of person or persons to find the most number of remote caches or similar ?

sharkcaver

I bet the Paj was a welcome sight on the return trip .
Too bloody right it was. I was in much better condition than last year though, and I had surplus water this time.

Tink said:
Well done. I walked my 41kms in 7hrs 57min on Sunday and am still recovering :)
Holy crap dude, thats nuts. I did 26.6km in 10. Mind you, i bet conditions were far different, but 41K's is nuts. My feet hurt thinking about that :eek:

Typhoeus said:
So, you score a bottle of cognac, and leave one for the next person?
The cognac was given to me in person by the guy who left one at the cache last year. I gave him a visit at his mine site on the way home - score....
I did however exchange a bottle of Topaque I left in the cache last year with a freshie, and brought home a 12 month desert matured one :D

Said bottle below, at the mine site wet mess:

nichols 6.jpg

dno said:
Is there a register or list of person or persons to find the most number of remote caches or similar ?
Dunno on that. Some geo tragics download all sorts of stats, its mind boggling. But I think the issue is determining what makes a cache remote. There are certainly stats on "most unloved cache" etc, until Myself and the cognac fellow went there last year, it was the worlds 3rd most unloved. We screwed that stat.

Last edited:

sharkcaver

Was it hotter last year , can remember seeing the vid .
Actually, the opposite. Overnight temps were falling around the 10 degree mark, last year sub 5. Had lots of early cloud both days this year, which made it cooler until it parted company with the sky gods and the big ball in the sky rained down on me, daytime temps about the same, mid 20's. I was worried, it was a 32 degree day when I drove to base camp, that wouldn't have been fun. In 8 days away, I only had one cold night - the last one - miles south in the goldfields.

Trailer from last year:

You can find the full version should you wish.

Cheers!