Change background image

It's 50 in the desert

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by sharkcaver, Mar 29, 2017.

1. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

A couple of months back, I was told of a surprise 50th being thrown in Adelaide for a mate I grew up with but who I haven't seen for 25 years. So the cogs got turning....and I got some short notice leave approved.

Seeing I have to take the whole week off to get there, and it will only take me a couple of days, I have some time to kill on the way.

And it just so happens, I turn 50 the day before him. So why not make my 50th a milestone with a solo trek across the desert via the Anne Beadell. Party on in Adelaide for a couple of days, celebrate my birthday at the pub in Whyalla (My mate has to fly there on that day). Venture down the Eyre Peninsula, Check out some remote caches and caves along the Nullarbor, and finish up in either the Woodlines or the Goldfields before home?

A 16 day, 6000+ Km solo adventure across half the interior of the continent. Shit yeah, what better way to mark half a century?

Its going to be interesting: late last week, Laverton had 5" of rain over 3 days. That stuff spilled into the desert. I'm not into solo bogged vehicle recoveries.

It will also be a great test for the Dobinson MRR and the upgraded front cross member. I expect quite a bit of CSR standard corro's for a substantial distance on the SA side of the ABH. As to weight, I'm trying to cut back on stuff, but when travelling solo, you have to take it all for self sufficiency. It will be interesting to see what weight I shed over the CSR trip when I load the roof tray and weigh bridge it on Friday.

Certainly not a trip for the feint hearted!

[​IMG]

Albynsw, billolga and RBJET like this.
  2. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

Your a long time dead Mate - I just got back from Vic (I am in Sydney) for a Mates Birthday - We flew together exactly 30 years ago & have been Mates ever since.

sharkcaver likes this.
  3. sharkcaver

A badly packed kebab.....

Try as I might, I just cant get under that 3.0T mark:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The issues of having to be self sufficient in remote locations I guess!

underdog and Aaron Schubert like this.
  4. sharkcaver

16 days in, 6700Km's later, using 813L of diesel and costing me $1220, I have returned home. Wow, what a trip. Crossing the desert solo, whilst a little disconcerting, was bloody fantastic. Trip report to follow in a couple of weeks no doubt.

5. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

Wow! sounds amazing. Can't wait for the trip report. Many pictures with the report I Hope?
    Pretty good fuel consumption.

6. sharkcaver

I'm just starting the process of going through over 400 photographs, so I can do the trip report. Then I have 16 days worth of video to go through :eek:

Anyway, here is a snippet of my last night

7. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

@sharkcaver

Thanks for that.
    Can't wait to see the final edits.
    By the way, enjoyed looking through your blog.

mikehzz and sharkcaver like this.
  8. sharkcaver

Aaron Schubert, Grippy and LurchWA like this.
  9. sharkcaver

Aaron Schubert likes this.
  10. sharkcaver

God put a smile upon my face. But he wiped it off pretty quick:

11. sharkcaver

driving, driving.....what one has to do to cross the desert in 4 days

mikehzz, BIGCOL, oldlux and 2 others like this.
  12. sharkcaver

They are still coming:

mikehzz, Mr Rum and BIGCOL like this.
  13. sharkcaver

And here is the last in the series of crossing the Anne Beadell. Its a bit lame compared to the rest, but I ended with some of the pics that didn't make the blog, so it may hold some interest.

On a critical note, I thought I had my audio sorted, but I note my commentary disappears when internal vehicle noise rises such as when I hit the corro's. So I need to look into that further now.

Anyway, the last of the AB is here:

I will follow up with the return journey, but that wont be half as good as what has been published to date.

Cheers!

underdog, mikehzz, BIGCOL and 2 others like this.
  14. sharkcaver

The return journey begins:

Lots of boring blacktop bits

billolga, underdog and BIGCOL like this.
  15. sharkcaver

Less blacktop in this one

billolga, underdog and BIGCOL like this.
  16. sharkcaver

I got it finished...bout time!

billolga, stevemc181 and underdog like this.