Change background image

Is this what we think of cyclists?

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Patriot, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Patriot

Patriot Administrator

Had this video pop up on Facebook and I have to say, I was pretty disappointed. This kind of attitude creates a divide between cyclists and 4 wheel drivers and creates an 'us and them' type of attitude.
    It means that every time a track is closed people think, 'Good. Less dickheads in our area.'
    All 4 wheel drivers need to be respectful of other road users, others there will be less tracks and when there are less tracks there will be less 4 wheel drivers.

Every time garbage is left in the bush.
    Every time a track is damaged by stupid driving.
    Every time a toilet or campsite is vandalised.
    Every time these things happen, it makes it easier to close a track and restrict our freedoms.
    We all need to be responsible and respect others, otherwise our kids and grand kids won't be camping in the high country or driving on the beach.
    Just my humble thoughts.

Ditch, dno67 and CB23 like this.
  2. callmejoe

callmejoe Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.
    Video not in Oz ?
    No one here would be that stupid now would they...

Beever likes this.
  3. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Cyclists are a pain in the arse . Im sick to death of do gooders telling me how i should think .
    Plus what has this got to do with track closures ???????

4. Bomber2012

5. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

Plenty of cyclists also own 4wds. It isn’t a mutually exclusive thing and Australians are about the last people on the planet to work out that each bike is one less car....

6. CB23

CB23 New Member

Wow you just verified that you're someone (4wd'er) who creates hate on the road and gives the rest of us a bad name as the first post stated - well done, but you should wake up to yourself.

7. Bomber2012

When have i created hate on the road CB23 ? you need to wake up to yourself and stop falsely accusing people .

8. Blue_haired_man

Blue_haired_man Well-Known Member

People who jump straight onto “creating hate” arguments generally aren’t worthy of debate mate. Next you’ll be getting called a bigot

Beever and Bomber2012 like this.
  9. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

I reckon there are lots of idiot drivers, riders, pedestrians, etc., out there. You just have to go on you tube to see hundreds if not thousands.
    Even when I drive everyday I see plenty of idiots in cars, trucks, fourbys, on bicycles, motorbikes, pedestrians etc.
    Most of what I see are people in a hurry and who are impatient.
    My main concern is, I try not to hit anyone even if they are legally in the wrong. Don't want a death on my conscience even if I am in the right.:eek:.

10. phs

phs Well-Known Member

All for cyclists.........

But they really don't help them selves they really should not be able to travel on roads above 50 unless there is a bike lane or our roads need to change.

Too many times I have seen them riding on high speed windy roads, with no reguard for fellow road users, up Hill obviously there doing what 15-25 ? You can't overtake as you can't see around the corner and they don't even pull into the slow turn out lanes just rude.

On the GOR, same deal not willing to use slow turn out lanes and traffic can't pass.

And they should have to pay and display reg. too many feel they can simply do as they like

11. jacnden

jacnden Well-Known Member

So I've been a cyclist till I got to old at the same time that I've been a 4wdriver. Even mountain biked along 4wd tracks.
    I know there are idiot bike riders but there are just as many (more?) drivers on the road and out on tracks doing stupid things
    I spent this long weekend on the GOR, plenty of cyclists ,just need a little patience. Plenty of caravans caused problems , and all the little tour buses full of interesting tourists
    I guess because I used to ride I give cyclists a bit more leeway

muc the truck, rogerazz and barcher like this.
  12. Jason Watt

Jason Watt Active Member

I have an expensive, roadworthy, registered and fully insured vehicle and am fully licensed to operate said vehicle.
    I drive within the law and I have a 1080p dash cam.
    I also have an ADR compliant bull bar to protect my vehicle from any stray wildlife on the road.
    I pay very dearly, including a multitude of taxes for the "privilege" of driving.
    I am legally bound to observe an untold plethora of road laws and therefore deserve to be protected from "anonymous street rogues" clad in low-viz lycra on bicycles and who choose to use the roads I've paid for to break the law.

IMHO compulsory bicycle registration, legible registration plates, helmets, Hi-Viz clothing, turn signals, a riders licence and RWC (similar to a motorcycle) should be mandatory. Similar penalties should also apply for breaking road law.

Why can't we all just "get along" you ask?
    Because some choose to hide behind their anonymity in order to annoy and frustrate everyone else albeit for their own instant sick selfish personal gratification.
    Several posters here have commented that they ride bicycles AND also have motor vehicles.
    Imagine what would happen if you disobeyed road law in your vehicle the same as some do on their bicycles.
    Not likely - because you are no longer anonymous!
    I say bring on compulsory bicycle registration in the name of public safety for ALL road users.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  13. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

If that was true I would have a different view but the reality is that 90% plus of bike riders on the road are not using their bike as a mode of transport but are partaking in a recreational activity.
    They typically drive to a location, ride their bike through the selected route, stop for a coffee at a cafe then ride back to their car and go home , get ready for work and then drive or catch public transport to go to work.
    I don’t have a lot of time for them as they bang on about their sense of entitlement to use the road based on an old law where bikes were a predominant legitimate form of transport. Our roads are already under enormous pressure to carry the ever increasing congestion and really don’t need Tour De France wannabes adding to the mayhem.To me these riders are no different to someone wanting to ride their horse, scooter, skateboard or BMX bike on the road because they like it.

Bike riders in Asia and Europe are using bikes as a mode of transport and it is great, what we have here is not that.

phs, Beever, 80lover96gxl and 3 others like this.
  14. jacnden

jacnden Well-Known Member

No elite cyclists or even just old fat blokes in Lycra training on the road in Asia and Europe?
    Think Ime going to be unpopular here but we all need to just share the road

15. Bomber2012

If you had to drive along beach rd every Sunday morning to go to work , i wonder whether you would still feel the same .

Jason Watt likes this.
  16. Marck

Marck Well-Known Member

I’d say it’s a case of personal responcibilty. As a driver or rider it’s to be safe and always aim to minimise the risk for yourself and others. I’m one that thinks that we have to share the road because if you don’t people can die. I have had one or two road side arguments with d heads on 2 wheels. But I have had quite a few more frightening moments caused by other vehicles and trucks coming around corners on the wrong side of the road. Or changing lanes on top of me. It’s frustrating but I’d much rather be delayed a few mins by some dill in Lycra that has an attitude problem and not be in a situation where I could wipe him out. Some cyclists might be pricks but they don’t deserve to be mushed up for it. What I don’t understand is why anyone would put themselves at risk riding in some of the places they do.

rogerazz and jacnden like this.
  17. Jason Watt

Jason Watt Active Member

It's because Valium and Prozac wears off by the next day.
    Beach Rd Melbourne has a perfectly good taxpayer funded bicycle track off the road available for their selfish "Hell rides".
    They don't use it.
    Perhaps I should? It would be safer for all concerned.

phs and Albynsw like this.
  18. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

We must live in totally different areas. I use old Cleveland rd each morning and afternoon in Brisbane through stones corner with literally hundreds of bike commuters using the sub standard roads to get to the sub standard bike way in along the freeway to the city. They get off the road and onto the bikeways as soon as they can. Every day I thank them for doing it because they are keeping thousands of cars off the road at peak hour. I’d love to be able to ride to work again, but I have a company vehicle because I need one in my line of work.
    As for a mod putting up that meme, seriously the wrong mindset to be even in the conversation much less administering it. Some purile people might get a laugh out of you getting smashed in the face with a baseball bat. That doesn’t mean it isn’t offensive to most people. Car accidents and people dying is not humorous, especially to those who have lost loved ones in similar circumstance.

Hewy54 and Kippie like this.
  19. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

In Sydney the bike tracks are empty, they want to ride on the rode with everyone else
    The Mayor of Sydney is a greenie and has reduced car lanes to make them cycle ways and they are empty but the vehicle traffic has increased because of the lanes removed
    You don’t see the Tour de France dudes carrying briefcases and heading to work
    They cause a lot of disruption to the traffic flows with their selfish ways

Jaye and cam04 like this.
  20. Hewy54

Hewy54 Active Member

Sorry, but I think that photo is in extremely poor taste

cam04 likes this.