Is this the ultimate off-road camp kitchen?

discomatt

Ah yes, but you forget about the type of people who buy these vans - they're all about being all solar and not needing fuel of any kind to run their van - including petrol, diesel and LPG.
I guess that’s a good thing, I was reading a scientific report the other day that concluded we have 25 years before the total collapse of the planets ecosystems

mikehzz

Didn’t the experts say that 25 years ago ?
The end result is inevitable, it's just the timeline that's unknown. Our ability to destroy ourselves on a mass scale increases daily. On a personal brighter note, it won't affect me at all. :)

cam04

I went to the David Suzuki lectures in the 90’s when I was studying environmental science. By his reckoning then, we shouldn’t be here now.

The so-called 'greenie' vehicles always make me smile - did they account for the kilometres of copper wiring, rare earth metals, and other noxious components that makes those EV cars hum? Out of sight out of mind.

Recyclable - in a perfect world perhaps, not ours. All that plastic to make them lightweight has gotta come from and go to somewhere ... pigs-arse it's all recycled into tie-dyed t-shirts and crocs footwear.

Besides, the military's of USA, Russia, China, and the populations of India, etc are burning fossil fuels like Bank CEO's snort cocaine! Any impact 'we' have is insignificant, yet 'we' get bitch-slapped.

Sorry, too many beers this evening ... rant ends here: * ;)

Chatty

In the true spirit of Earth, it's obvious this thread is getting hijacked somewhat. In staying with the hijackers, though...

I read a report yesterday that tells us that just 25 cities (23 in China, plus Moscow and Tokyo) are responsible for over half (52%) of global greenhouse gas emissions.
So, in real terms, while all the "green" stuff we do in Oz sends a message, and helps global emissions to some extent, the reality is that we can cut worldwide emissions in half by shutting down just 25 cities...

Here's the link 25 cities produce half of global greenhouse emissions

a1bert

Didn’t the experts say that 25 years ago ?

No, i have seen this raised before, the 25 year period referred to the point of no return, think we are close to being there, oh well i have had a great life, my kids can bare the consequences:)

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
In the true spirit of Earth, it's obvious this thread is getting hijacked somewhat. In staying with the hijackers, though...

I read a report yesterday that tells us that just 25 cities (23 in China, plus Moscow and Tokyo) are responsible for over half (52%) of global greenhouse gas emissions.
So, in real terms, while all the "green" stuff we do in Oz sends a message, and helps global emissions to some extent, the reality is that we can cut worldwide emissions in half by shutting down just 25 cities...

Here's the link 25 cities produce half of global greenhouse emissions

Lol, I read this post when there were a few replies, wasn't worried about it since, but saw over 70 replies so had to have another look !!
Frankenthreaded in true form, yes.
Granted, it did take until roughly the start of page 4 to get there.

On your info there, did you also see that China is running 1,058 coal-fired power plants, and still building them !!
Equal to more than half of the world's entire capacity !!??
We are going gangbusters (and broke) taking out what, one of our last (? or our very last ?) coal fired power stations, going to solar / wind with some base natural gas backing it . . . not a scrap of difference will this make, except we're going bankrupt (domestically and nationally) with this and other such schemes, while others that WOULD / COULD make a difference ignore it all !

It really is a mad World.

Carry on with climate, or camp kitchens . . . oh heck, just to keep to the OP.

It's great to see, and hopefully mostly US made (the kitchen) . . . not sure about that, was it mentioned in the story ?
No doubt there'd be a lot of imported components, like the vast majority of things manufactured now out of China.

mikehzz

They're running on our coal. If we were fair dinkum we'd stop selling it. Therefore it's a joke to say we don't pollute at a world class level. We sell our pollution like a covert arms dealer then say look at us we're miniscule in the scheme of things while stuffing the cash in our back pockets.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
They're running on our coal. If we were fair dinkum we'd stop selling it.

Dead right.
But how much are they buying now ?
Late last year the CCP issued a directive to power stations to avoid our coal.

Anyway, won't be long now and China won't need our coal, they are working towards not needing it for their steel making, moving to mooted green alternative hydrogen / LNG.

Good thing we have loads of that too, and exported about 30 million tonnes 2019/20 to China, just a touch less than Japan buys.
Although they are threatening that with trade blocks too now.

Albynsw

They're running on our coal. If we were fair dinkum we'd stop selling it. Therefore it's a joke to say we don't pollute at a world class level. We sell our pollution like a covert arms dealer then say look at us we're miniscule in the scheme of things while stuffing the cash in our back pockets.

Whilst that would be great and would love if it worked but isn’t the reality the coal will just come from another supplier and we will suffer severe financial hardship with no upside except placebo effect
As I understand it the world still needs coal to function in its current format until a substitute is found or we are prepared to lower our living standards/ conditions
Nobody seems real keen on the latter but still bang on about stopping the coal

Chatty

Anyway, won't be long now and China won't need our coal, they are working towards not needing it for their steel making, moving to mooted green alternative hydrogen / LNG.
Don't forget that metallurgical coal (coking coal) is still needed for steel making - no one has yet come up with a realistic alternative for providing the carbon needed for steel. And the Chinese are still buying their metallurgical coal from us - because they recognise the quality of it.

There has been some research in using steel to capture carbon from CO2, but that's a long way off being usable.

Thermal coal (steaming coal) however, can be replaced as the heat source.

SirDrinksalot

Don't forget that metallurgical coal (coking coal) is still needed for steel making - no one has yet come up with a realistic alternative for providing the carbon needed for steel. And the Chinese are still buying their metallurgical coal from us - because they recognise the quality of it.

There has been some research in using steel to capture carbon from CO2, but that's a long way off being usable.

Thermal coal (steaming coal) however, can be replaced as the heat source.

Im surprised Chinas pig steel uses it.