Is this the ultimate off-road camp kitchen?

McGinnis

Another attempt to divert the topic away from factual information? There's nothing personal whatsoever there, but sure, whatever you say.

dusta77

I have lithium, so I can and do appreciate its advantages. I also use induction in my home.

Still haven't seen a mobile induction setup anywhere near as practical as a gas one, and you haven't shown me one either.

I'm not arguing for the sake of it. The power demands and the charging requirements to use induction are what make it utterly impractical. Even if you do spend a few grand on multiple lithium batteries, how do you replenish 3-400Ah of power? What if it's a base camp scenario and you don't want to drive for 10 hours to use the alternator? Exactly how much solar do you plan on having? What if it's cloudy?

Of course I can google induction setups, another silly statement from you. I can also Google nitro boosted 8wd Russian campers. Doesn't mean they're reasonable or practical.

So far I've posed the problems and explained why it's my opinion that this tech is not there yet. All you've done is said "look around", "use Google", etc - and made no substantive comments whatsoever. So my points remain and I'll leave this topic here.
two seconds of google

there is your one example .

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
Having this discussion with some mates just few days ago.

I'm very much "E" positive. Ride an eMTB, love my battery chain saw etc. But I'm not convinced induction cooktop camping is the go.

I'm a bit old school and still rock a dual fuel stove. Never in any circumstance has it been a problem. Sometimes even take a small gas bottle and Weber.

When I hike, it's whisperlite.

We're all entitled to an opinion, but when it comes to camp cooking, if it ain't broke, why fix it!

mikehzz

I love my Travel Buddy oven for electric cooking. Meal's done when I stop for the day and the battery is still charged.

LongRoad2Go

The design is pretty nifty, though the cooking option is not really my cup of tea for touring/overlanding – prefer to leave high end/tech at home and go simple in the bush: wood fire, gas, with metho/shellite back-up stoves from bushwalking days.

Off topic: The one thing that REALLY annoys me with (mainly American) social media posts is the use of the word ‘ULTIMATE’. Passive aggressive bullshit – your idea may be good, but mine is THE ULTIMATE. Yeah, whatever …

dusta77

The design is pretty nifty, though the cooking option is not really my cup of tea for touring/overlanding – prefer to leave high end/tech at home and go simple in the bush: wood fire, gas, with metho/shellite back-up stoves from bushwalking days.

Off topic: The one thing that REALLY annoys me with (mainly American) social media posts is the use of the word ‘ULTIMATE’. Passive aggressive bullshit – your idea may be good, but mine is THE ULTIMATE. Yeah, whatever …
every aussie youtube channel has their "ultimate" dual cab norweld or mitsalloy setup.

Chatty

every aussie youtube channel has their "ultimate" dual cab norweld or mitsalloy setup.
My sincere apologies to both of you for using the word "ultimate" and unintentionally being passive-aggressive.

Next time I shall title the post:
"Is this possibly the best, or perhaps second best, or maybe even pretty damn good, or at least a relatively nifty vehicle based camp kitchen; based on current technology and utilising what I thought were pretty clever ideas about the the effective use of space and equipment; while recognising that it may not suit everyone or in fact that it may not be the best, second best, pretty damn good, relatively nifty for all that long because technology and manufacturing keep improving and sooner or later another company is likely to bring out another new best, second best, pretty damn good, relatively nifty vehicle based camp kitchen?"

cam04

Mdc are moving to induction cooking inside their vans. Zero gas inside means proper dust proof vans. Join a 4wd canopy page and see all the induction setups in there. Definitely now, not future.

John U

My sincere apologies to both of you for using the word "ultimate" and unintentionally being passive-aggressive.

"Is this possibly the best, or perhaps second best, or maybe even pretty damn good, or at least a relatively nifty vehicle based camp kitchen; based on current technology and utilising what I thought were pretty clever ideas about the the effective use of space and equipment; while recognising that it may not suit everyone or in fact that it may not be the best, second best, pretty damn good, relatively nifty for all that long because technology and manufacturing keep improving and sooner or later another company is likely to bring out another new best, second best, pretty damn good, relatively nifty vehicle based camp kitchen?"
Much better. Clear and to the point.

LongRoad2Go

The comment wasn't aimed at you, it was a general one aimed at the many YouTube posts that use 'ultimate' to gain some sort of attention - click bait.

Thought you'd realise that from the '(mainly American) social media posts ...' comment.

(Sheez, some people are easily offended on this site.)

Vesko

Rub sticks together.....make fire.....cook food......eat.....chase woman..... :)
Ha, ha, ha - don't forget to sleep sometimes (stretcher or camper) ;)

I like the OP set up for this particular space of a dual cab vehicle. My only question is how well can you keep water and dust out? We all know how clever dust is.

Chatty

The comment wasn't aimed at you, it was a general one aimed at the many YouTube posts that use 'ultimate' to gain some sort of attention - click bait.

Thought you'd realise that from the '(mainly American) social media posts ...' comment.

(Sheez, some people are easily offended on this site.)
Ah yes, but I was simply poking you in the ribs myself :cool:

Chatty

I like the OP set up for this particular space of a dual cab vehicle. My only question is how well can you keep water and dust out? We all know how clever dust is.
It's really hard to tell from the video, but there doesn't seem to be any really strong latching system to close the drawer up against a decent sealing gasket.
But, given the technology level they're using, I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they've installed some form of electric latch mechanism that pulls the drawer tightly closed. It may well be linked to the key fob or summat.

Chatty

Mdc are moving to induction cooking inside their vans. Zero gas inside means proper dust proof vans. Join a 4wd canopy page and see all the induction setups in there. Definitely now, not future.
I was looking at a second generation Retreat ERV that was camped up next to us the other day and had the chance to have a good long chat to the owner. He had bought one of their first generation ones, which apparently had a fair few issues, but Retreat had just upgraded him to the latest at almost no cost.

He really liked the van, but his comments were:
  • The 2.4 kW of solar on the roof was heavy, making the van more top heavy than he would have liked, and left no room for installing something like a sat dish - in fact the a/c is actually mounted under-floor and ducted through the floor. This ha d led to some dust ingress through the ducts (so much for "proper dust proof van").
  • The 15 kWH (I think that's the right size) battery is heavy, really heavy - this limits the load carrying capacity of the van somewhat more than he would have liked and means that you need a tow vehicle with a true 3.5t towing capacity. On the plus side it does counterbalance the solar panels to some extent.
  • His experience has been that multiple days of cloudy, miserable weather (like Perth has been getting for the last few weeks) has him looking for a caravan park to pull up in to access power. This is mitigated somewhat by the reality that they can't carry enough water (see the point about heavy batteries) to go more than a few (3, maybe 4) days off-grid in any case. Black and grey water tank sizes also come into play here.
  • You do need to get up on the roof and clean the solar panels at least once a week or more.
At the end of the day he would buy another one, but he did say that the extra cost of this van would buy you a s#!t load of LPG refills.