Is this the ultimate off-road camp kitchen?

Chatty

Love it.
Not sure how it would handle a water crossing though or constant corrugations?
It is all American, so they likely haven't considered those sorts of things. I just liked the design and the thought that has gone into it.

linuxfan66

rivian is definitely batting high only beaten by new f150 lightning. they are realizing what is practical and what people want in an electric truck. love it

Bomber2012

It’s a great idea , I’m assuming you will be taking a second mortgage to pay for it and there is no protection from the elements .
As mentioned corrugations , water crossings , no shade/shelter .
Its not very practical.

Last edited:

John U

Maybe the ultimate in convenience, but not the ultimate in camping.

Billy tea on an induction stove top? I go camping to get away from that stuff. A good off-road ev with killer range. That’s what I’d like to see.

CTL

You guys need to catch up. For vehicle based or CT/van cooking, lithium batteries with induction cooking is the future. Less weight (no gas bottle/s), can cook in the wind, no safety concerns, easier to clean, just as quick (but only if gas used in perfect conditions otherwise induction is quicker), the list goes on.

McGinnis

Empty words - "plenty of examples"; "have a look around". Where?

Show me practical examples. Sure it's possible - simple, even. But practical? No.

Unless you consider having $4000 worth of lithium batteries (not to mention the ability to charge them) to be able to cook up a decent dinner 'practical'.

As I said, it's the future, but not the present. We need better power storage and charging capabilities than we have at present.

I'm not knocking the tech, but at the end of the day, I'd rather carry a 2.5kg gas bottle and a gas stove.

• Haha
Reactions: CTL

discomatt

Show me practical examples. Sure it's possible - simple, even. But practical? No.
Heaps of top end vans have induction cooking, we don't have it yet but I will be putting a small induction cooker in our van, 380am/h lithium and over 700 watts of solar if we need it :)

CTL

Empty words - "plenty of examples"; "have a look around". Where?

There are several manufacturers fitting induction cooktops. Use Google instead of arguing.

And it certainly is practical as there are many using it NOW. When I need to replace my aging AGMs I will be fitting lithium and induction cooking. Have already fitted lithium in the ute and it is brilliant. Until you use lithium you cannot appreciate its advantages.

McGinnis

There are several manufacturers fitting induction cooktops. Use Google instead of arguing.

And it certainly is practical as there are many using it NOW. When I need to replace my aging AGMs I will be fitting lithium and induction cooking. Have already fitted lithium in the ute and it is brilliant. Until you use lithium you cannot appreciate its advantages.
I have lithium, so I can and do appreciate its advantages. I also use induction in my home.

Still haven't seen a mobile induction setup anywhere near as practical as a gas one, and you haven't shown me one either.

I'm not arguing for the sake of it. The power demands and the charging requirements to use induction are what make it utterly impractical. Even if you do spend a few grand on multiple lithium batteries, how do you replenish 3-400Ah of power? What if it's a base camp scenario and you don't want to drive for 10 hours to use the alternator? Exactly how much solar do you plan on having? What if it's cloudy?

Of course I can google induction setups, another silly statement from you. I can also Google nitro boosted 8wd Russian campers. Doesn't mean they're reasonable or practical.

So far I've posed the problems and explained why it's my opinion that this tech is not there yet. All you've done is said "look around", "use Google", etc - and made no substantive comments whatsoever. So my points remain and I'll leave this topic here.

CTL

Gee, no need to get personal champ. I expressed my opinion, you expressed yours, go have a lie down.